Fishroom Reality Check

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to like these guys experiments, but they really need to add some negative controls.

That's pretty small tank- how are we not sure those algaes wouldn't just reduce naturally over 9 weeks? Low bioload, smallish volume. Also, no corals, so any comment on report she that it harms some lps from the big thread?

Some things in this hobby are just a leap of faith. Study, plan, confer with other hobbyist and then leap. It is not like adding fish with no QT :) That is different :)
And I think these guys have seen it all, and from experience know that that stuff does not just disappear on its own. I have used it and I have not seen any harm from it, and the hair algae that was growing is looking like zip zero nada. I do have a little bit of green cyano but it is oddley pretty. And will be gone in no time.
I think it is safe to try. A little stressed coral I can live with. It is not snake oil but it is not chemo either. My dinos were just killing me.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things in this hobby are just a leap of faith. Study, plan, confer with other hobbyist and then leap. It is not like adding fish with no QT :) That is different :)
And I think these guys have seen it all, and from experience know that that stuff does not just disappear on its own. I have used it and I have not seen any harm from it, and the hair algae that was growing is looking like zip zero nada. I do have a little bit of green cyano but it is oddley pretty. And will be gone in no time.
I think it is safe to try. A little stressed coral I can live with. It is not snake oil but it is not chemo either. My dinos were just killing me.
Yeah- I just priced out a 9 week , 12 dose schedule the same as the brs video, and it'll cost me $37... no brainer at this point.

Deal with turf algae using fluconazole - finishes this weekend, wc on monday

Chemiclean a week on Friday- wc the following mknday

Weekly 20% WC while dosing Vibrant for 9 weeks. Single dose/week for 6 weeks, then 2 doses/week for the last 3 weeks.

That's the new plan!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Victoria M @Dubs83

Hey guys, I’m here.

Man, what a rough couple weeks. Flu season hit us with a vengeance! In the past few weeks, we’ve all been hit with various ailments, and yesterday was the first full non-illness day in close to a month.

So, Katie and her mom went to a concert and of course, Katie brought home flu. Hit her hard, to the point I had to take her to urgent care for an IV drip and we all got tamiflu. However, too late- I came down a couple days later, then C (3 yo) came down with it, but she also had a raspy cough. Turns out she had flu, Strep throat AND a foreign body in her ear, which turned out to be a big cupcake sprinkle. That kid is too stoic for her own good. T (1yo) got rsv, and is teething at the same time, so night have been rough. I had a good day, then picked up the strep throat from C, and when I went into the clinic for a test for antibiotics, a second flu test came back positive. Type B. So I’ve had fluA,strep throat and fluB in the last 3 weeks. Still popping antibiotics for the strep.

All of this over thanksgiving, which is starting to turn into a cluster due to a MIL who hates to cook yet insists we go to theirs for TG and she cooks. They have a 4 burner and a single oven and she invites like 15 people.

Tank stuff.

I managed to throw some chemiclean in there on Tuesday, for the cyano.

I did a big scrub, siphon and clean yesterday- 70gallons of crud siphoned out of the DT, plus another 30 changes in the sump.

Turf algae: 90% gone. Some holdouts but they are small clusters.

Cyano: 80% gone, but residual is sloughing off and deep red color. On its way out.

Chrysophytea: 98% gone.

Tank hasn’t looked this good in months.

While the pumps where off, I pulled the return manifold and consigned it to the fail box, so know I have a straight shot up to the tank. Return just for return brah. Reduced flow on the pump from 78% to 63% and the BA is running silent straight away

Ordered some vibrant and plan to do a 10 week course of that to further polish the tank.

Also ordered some arc coralline in a bottle, and some sand and 20lbs rock for my macro fuge

I may have a small Dino bloom need to confirm.

RIP dispar anthia during thanksgiving. I had planned to come back down on Friday (4 hour round trip) in order to feed some frozen and do a check, but I got guilt tripped by MIL for abandoning family for a day at thanksgiving, so I didn’t come back . I should have stuck to my plan

Midas blenny is still in QT. Purely because I didn’t get to salinity ramp tje water up to 1.026 due to illness. I’m now topping that tank off with 1.050 water and have a little fan going to increased evap. Hopefully the tank will be up to 1.026 from 1.022 by middle of next week so I can move her up.

I pick up a gorgeous tube anemone next Thursday, and next Monday I’m getting some black mollies to acclimate and use as QT canaries. Once acclimated, I’m goon to repeat my attempt at the flasher wrasses, this time putting them straight in to the observation tank with the Mollies after a h2o2 dip.

So much going on, so much to do. Will update a little more later.

Oh- decided against a sailfin due to how large they get, but I’m 90% sold on the idea of a flame fin tomini tang. May pick him up next week also.

Hope y’all are good!

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Victoria M @Dubs83

Hey guys, I’m here.

Man, what a rough couple weeks. Flu season hit us with a vengeance! In the past few weeks, we’ve all been hit with various ailments, and yesterday was the first full non-illness day in close to a month.

So, Katie and her mom went to a concert and of course, Katie brought home flu. Hit her hard, to the point I had to take her to urgent care for an IV drip and we all got tamiflu. However, too late- I came down a couple days later, then C (3 yo) came down with it, but she also had a raspy cough. Turns out she had flu, Strep throat AND a foreign body in her ear, which turned out to be a big cupcake sprinkle. That kid is too stoic for her own good. T (1yo) got rsv, and is teething at the same time, so night have been rough. I had a good day, then picked up the strep throat from C, and when I went into the clinic for a test for antibiotics, a second flu test came back positive. Type B. So I’ve had fluA,strep throat and fluB in the last 3 weeks. Still popping antibiotics for the strep.

All of this over thanksgiving, which is starting to turn into a cluster due to a MIL who hates to cook yet insists we go to theirs for TG and she cooks. They have a 4 burner and a single oven and she invites like 15 people.

Tank stuff.

I managed to throw some chemiclean in there on Tuesday, for the cyano.

I did a big scrub, siphon and clean yesterday- 70gallons of crud siphoned out of the DT, plus another 30 changes in the sump.

Turf algae: 90% gone. Some holdouts but they are small clusters.

Cyano: 80% gone, but residual is sloughing off and deep red color. On its way out.

Chrysophytea: 98% gone.

Tank hasn’t looked this good in months.

While the pumps where off, I pulled the return manifold and consigned it to the fail box, so know I have a straight shot up to the tank. Return just for return brah. Reduced flow on the pump from 78% to 63% and the BA is running silent straight away

Ordered some vibrant and plan to do a 10 week course of that to further polish the tank.

Also ordered some arc coralline in a bottle, and some sand and 20lbs rock for my macro fuge

I may have a small Dino bloom need to confirm.

RIP dispar anthia during thanksgiving. I had planned to come back down on Friday (4 hour round trip) in order to feed some frozen and do a check, but I got guilt tripped by MIL for abandoning family for a day at thanksgiving, so I didn’t come back . I should have stuck to my plan

Midas blenny is still in QT. Purely because I didn’t get to salinity ramp tje water up to 1.026 due to illness. I’m now topping that tank off with 1.050 water and have a little fan going to increased evap. Hopefully the tank will be up to 1.026 from 1.022 by middle of next week so I can move her up.

I pick up a gorgeous tube anemone next Thursday, and next Monday I’m getting some black mollies to acclimate and use as QT canaries. Once acclimated, I’m goon to repeat my attempt at the flasher wrasses, this time putting them straight in to the observation tank with the Mollies after a h2o2 dip.

So much going on, so much to do. Will update a little more later.

Oh- decided against a sailfin due to how large they get, but I’m 90% sold on the idea of a flame fin tomini tang. May pick him up next week also.

Hope y’all are good!
Holy smokes man! I wish you and yours better health for the rest of the holidays!
Sorry to hear about your anthia :(

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before

Turf algae, cyano and chrysophytes

IMG_1325.JPG
IMG_1326.JPG
IMG_1327.JPG
IMG_1328.JPG
IMG_1329.JPG
IMG_1341.JPG
IMG_1342.JPG
IMG_1343.JPG
IMG_1344.JPG
IMG_1345.JPG

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the pulsing Xenia broke away but remained on the rock- so now I have a rock with 2 Xenia colonies that act independently, and are actually different colors...

One side awake, one side half asleep

IMG_1352.JPG

RBTA getting bigger after her potential dispar anthoa snack and my fungia plates seem to be doing ok. Smaller on every opens up more in the evenings, bigger one is always out

IMG_1357.JPG
IMG_1358.JPG
IMG_1359.JPG

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! When you do an update, you do an update!
And the same can be said for when you all get sick, you all get sick.
I remember those days. It could be so hard at times.
I am pretty happy for about the tank progress though.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife has strep throat , and T has a double ear infection and her left ear drum Is ruptured. Not a peep from her though.

Oh, and 5 minutes before we headed to the clinic, the RBTA decided to go for a walk. A little bit of turf algae debris got down between her stalk and the shell she sits in, irritating her. She didn't move far, but sitting for 3 hours thinking I'm going to get us home to find her in the gyre added unnecessary stress

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not believe your poor family. that is just terrible. I sure hope all are well soon.

my BTA stayed put for many many years. hope yours does too.
Thanks Victoria.

I really want the RBTA to move up and to the left about 7", but it's better than before

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing well! Love those anemone images!

If only it would move up andnovwr a bit, I'd be stoked.

I have a feather duster and a coco worm in qT until 18th, and I'm picking up a 9" wide pink and ultra lime tube anemone on Thursday!!

Then fish. Lots and lots of fish. 10 then 5.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! That sounds like a great color combo. Cannot wait to see it!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • None.

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.9%
Back