Fishroom Reality Check

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered some vibrant over here, too! I feel like our setup and paths are very similar. If the vibrant works on both of my tanks then I'll probably continue with the maintenance dose and see if it works as the label suggests.

How is your blenny settling in?

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered some vibrant over here, too! I feel like our setup and paths are very similar. If the vibrant works on both of my tanks then I'll probably continue with the maintenance dose and see if it works as the label suggests.

How is your blenny settling in?
Goldie is doing great- exploring the tank and becoming very social
IMG_1435.JPG
IMG_1437.JPG
IMG_1439.JPG

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They also have 2 x 1" frags of bizarro cyphastrea, at $78 each. That's double online prices, even with shipping. Think I'll wait and get the three cyphastrea online after Christmas

Online pic - but it was EXACTLY like this

IMG_1393.JPG

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, graduation day for these guys!!

IMG_1466.JPG
IMG_1468.JPG
IMG_1469.JPG

I did have vids of them responding to food from under the sand, acclimation, addition to tank but YouTube is messing with me today

5 big Tiger Nassarius snails now working on churning up my sand !

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While they were acclimating, I got to removing the aiptasia on the feather duster, since its graduation day for her too

IMG_1470.JPG
IMG_1471.JPG

Tools . I ended up removing small sections of the tube to expose the aiptasia, then I poked it with a toothpick so it curled up. Then buried it in a big squirt of superglue
IMG_1473.JPG
IMG_1472.JPG

Done. Acclimated as usual then moved to display

IMG_1475.JPG

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the post! How are you acclimating your invertebrates? Just curious. One LFS suggested to me that they don't carry the same parasites as fish do, but I don't know that for sure. So I haven't been QT'ing my inverts but maybe you could convince me to!

Are these snails primarily sand sifters? If so, I'll maybe be on the look out for some in my tank too.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I qt snails for 76 days, since Ich and velvet can definitely encyst on them

Any animal with a hard shell gets 76 days in qt. Crabs and shrimp get qt until they molt. Anemones 16 days due to possible free swimmers in the water inside . Feather dusters- rinse off, but this one has a small rock in its tube so 76 days. Coco worms= hard shell= 76 days . Urchins and starfish, copious rinse off

Then when they graduate, since all My tanks are at 1.026, I drip acclimate for 30 minutes just to balance other parameters then put them in display

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes- tiger nassarius go under the sand but leave their Proboscis above the surface like a submarine snorkel. As soon as the smell food they jump out of the sand and churn it up. Very cool

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the post! How are you acclimating your invertebrates? Just curious. One LFS suggested to me that they don't carry the same parasites as fish do, but I don't know that for sure. So I haven't been QT'ing my inverts but maybe you could convince me to!

Are these snails primarily sand sifters? If so, I'll maybe be on the look out for some in my tank too.
For rationale for those time frames, check out the "invert qt timeframes" thread by humblefish.

Sorry for the curt reply- late for daycare run

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dean Smith

Check this out- extremely informative. You pretty much need to weigh up your own risk benefit analysis.

Personally- nothing, not even macroalgae or copepods, goes into my tank without full quarantine

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uugghh

Not even 12 hours in the display and RIP littlest Tiger Nass.

Hermit crab 1: Tiger Nass 0

I'm doing my usual after dark look around the tank checking for stuff when I notice my ultra fungia is bloated and pigging out on something. As I'm watching, my little Tiger nassarius snail- about 3/4" diameter- comes sidewalking past in typical hermit crab style locomotion. It took fully 3 seconds before my brain clicked and comprehended what it just saw. Sure enough, a hermit crab has killed and evicted LTN and my fungia is feasts mg on his discarded carcass like some immobile water from an Ian banks novel.

So I'm done with hermit crabs. I felt like it was a mistake the second day when they started eating cerirha in qt to upgrade shells but didn't act. I should have isolated or given them away back then

I used to think they were kinda cool but now I'm just so over it

IMG_1479.JPG
IMG_1480.JPG
IMG_1482.JPG
IMG_1484.JPG
IMG_1485.JPG

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uugghh

Not even 12 hours in the display and RIP littlest Tiger Nass.

Hermit crab 1: Tiger Nass 0

I'm doing my usual after dark look around the tank checking for stuff when I notice my ultra fungia is bloated and pigging out on something. As I'm watching, my little Tiger nassarius snail- about 3/4" diameter- comes sidewalking past in typical hermit crab style locomotion. It took fully 3 seconds before my brain clicked and comprehended what it just saw. Sure enough, a hermit crab has killed and evicted LTN and my fungia is feasts mg on his discarded carcass like some immobile water from an Ian banks novel.

So I'm done with hermit crabs. I felt like it was a mistake the second day when they started eating cerirha in qt to upgrade shells but didn't act. I should have isolated or given them away back then

I used to think they were kinda cool but now I'm just so over it

IMG_1479.JPG
IMG_1480.JPG
IMG_1482.JPG
IMG_1484.JPG
IMG_1485.JPG
The only hermits I will purposely add to my tank are the small blue legged ones. Unfortunately, I do have a few previous "mistakes" that I have yet to catch and remove.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only hermits I will purposely add to my tank are the small blue legged ones. Unfortunately, I do have a few previous "mistakes" that I have yet to catch and remove.
Yeah, I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't think it would happen. Just assumed the snails were way too big.

I pulled as many as I could see and they are all hanging out in a 10g. No idea what to do with them . Frag tank?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't think it would happen. Just assumed the snails were way too big.

I pulled as many as I could see and they are all hanging out in a 10g. No idea what to do with them . Frag tank?
I put the ones I catch in my sump but a frag tank could be a good option.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back