Fishroom Reality Check

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Neil
I have Scarlet hermit crabs and they leave my snails alone. But they do need spare shells when upsizing is required.
Wish I had seen your posts about Aiptasia before you put your worms into your DT ...
In 1 instance a had a 4-5lb hunk of LR that I placed in a bucket with no cover. Over the next 1-2 days I found aiptasia crawling up the sides of the bucket.
In the other instance, I was selling a RBTA on a rock and the buyer was delayed, so I placed the dude in a critter keeper in my sump. Overnight the 'nem crawled off the rock and found the highest point inside the container it could reach.

I'm sure 'nems walk around looking for ideal lighting and flow

Maybe next time, if you ever deal with them again, you could consider putting whatever you have in a low/no flow environment with only light from above ...

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing the article about QT'ing inverts. I'll definitely be reading up on that over the holiday.

Also picked up a bottle of vibrant, going to give it whirl on GHA. Are you getting any results with it yet?

Had the same problem with a hermit crab in my nano tank. Literally saw him yanking or tugging on the snail for dear life trying to rip it out of the shell.. Despite having multiple empty shells of various sizes to choose from. I plucked that guy out the instant I saw that and dropped him into my other tank where there's no snails. Little jerks!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my 'dead' original fungia plate is making a comeback- with a bunch of different colours compared to the original

IMG_1499.JPG

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have texted him. All members of his adorable little family are well. He has had a lot going on though, and could probably benefit from some R2R love.
Yay !!
Good to hear all are still walking this Earth !!!
Lost my Dad 2 weeks ago, so this is uplifting news

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey how are ya?
Hey! You can’t leave me hanging. I have grown rather attached to you.
@neilp2006 Hellooooo! Missing your posts and your thread updates. How is everything?Please keep us posted.

Really hope you are well.
You're not alone

@NY_Caveman
@Brew12

hi guys- figured id quote your posts o you would get alerted to my update.

So- apologies are in order. I am SOOOO sorry for disappearing like that. It wasnt intentional, but as Victoria M aluded to, its been a little rough around these parts the past couple months. Some personal stuff combined with a couple losses with the tank put me into a deep hole. Family are healthy, which is the most important thing. A treasured friend (@Victoria M) reached out to me by real-world messaging and told me i was leaving a few people worried about me. For that, i apologies. Deeply.

Anyway- im not going to get into the weeds detailing everything, but it involves a lost wallet (and the immigration proof contained therein) an over-zealous DMV employee, who (illegally) called a bored ICE agent resulting in a short (7hr) visit to an 'immigration facility' aka detention camp. I went to the DMV to report a lost drivers licence and had to endure 6 weeks of insinuations that i could be deported due to being out of immigration status. Im a green card holder, i have applied for citizenship and, to be clear- my immigration 'fail' was that i had misplaced my green card. So i was considered 'out of status' because it is a requirement that i have it on my person at all times. yeah. BS

Then I got pneumonia. again.

Anyway, im recovered, i have a replacement greencard, but the issue now means i will not be able to apply for my dream job at the CDC because i had a status lapse. Just like that. 20 years in the vaccine development field, but instead of recognising it was a paperwork mistake, it goes on my record and i cant get a job. Timely, considering i develop vaccines against enveloped viruses... like Covid-19.

Family are doing great, its my birthday tomorrow- 23- and my oparents, who i havent seen since T was born 18 months ago, are visiting for a month next week. so- things are trending up.

Tank stuff.

Midas blenny- RIP. took a head first swim into my RBTA and was dead before i could put on gloves to get it off. Happened in front of 3.5 yo C just prior to daycare too.

Corals are doing great- Duncan is now at 18 heads- started with 3 just 5 months ago. 'Dead' fungia plate is spawning soooo many babies. 35 at last count. favia is spreading like crazy. and my other fungia plates are so vibrant green.

Chrysophytes- gone
Cyano- gone
Vibrant- 22 ml once a week. Dont know if that is cause and effect or coinkidink. i got too busy to keep proper track.

I shut down my phyto and pods while the nonsense was ongoing, but recently restarted them. Phyto was stored in fridge for 2.5 months, I just took 20ml into a 200ml flask and added 80ml water. Its bright green right now. Algae are so cool.

Just this week started bringing my QT tanks online after doing a bit of a reorganisation in the QT area. I actually PURPOSEFULLY reduced my space, but made it more efficient. Double stacking some tanks to gain useable space. Bought 6 black moillies and am currently saltwater adapting the,- these will be my canaries for the hybrid TTM-h202 QT. 3 for the fish and 3 for the coral QT. Going to attempt to QT a full 10g of corals in 5 weeks so i can get a huge jump in stocking my tank.

Oh- and this happened, lol.
IMG_1690.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

ok, moving forward- i promise im back for updates. hopefully all the BS is behind me and i/ we can get back into the cool stuff

Any specific Q's- fire me a message and ill respond pronto!

Cheers guys, and thanks for your patience.

Last edited:

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the update. Glad to hear that you are on the up & up. Truly sorry to hear about your disappointing experience with immigration, work application(s), etc. Hopefully this old saying rings true - As one door closes, another one opens.

Will keep my fingers crossed for you & your family that things perk up and continue to do so. Glad to have you back online. All the best.

Sincerely,
Dean

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back