OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advice on this purple cap branching hammer. It hasn't grown since being in display for almost three months, but it has started to make a little baby on the base. The base has kinda gotten more puffy and knobby too. It's 3" Lower than a green hammer that has added a head and really puffed out, and a Duncan that has added 12 heads in the same timeframe. They get moderate flow and are under chinese black box lights which seem 'adequate'

Move up, move down? Any thoughts?

Close up view followed by 'context' shots-
IMG_1907.JPG
IMG_1908.JPG
IMG_1909.JPG

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess someone is picking at it. Ignore it. GSP is hard to kill.
'Sup Victoria!

I just checked my levels after noticing my skimmer isn't making bubbles. Cup was half full but some sort of thIck mat had formed over the neck opening, impeding bubbles. I popped the 'membrane' and it immediately went nuts.

So my guess is mucky water, so I checked po4 and nitrates.

Po4= 0.3ppm which is double what I like

Nitrate= 0.

So I dosed some potassium nitrate to get it to 5, setvthe skimmer to pull a lot of stuff out, and cleaned the cup.

Let's see what that does in the morning.

Can't rule out something bothering it, since I have a smaller frag that started as two polyps but is now about a 2" square which is fully open. It's 3 feet away from the massive colony. saying that, the big gsp colony started as 1 large mat, is now 8x6" and acts as though it's 3 separate organisms. There are 3 distinct patches that open and close independently of one another.

The sane for the big Xenia. After I put it on the current rock, 3 big stalks kinda migrated away to the other end of the rock while 5 stayed out. Despite both parts now intermeshing completely, the conglomerate count has two distinct color tones, vpulsability, open/close times and different feeding responses. Bear in mind, it's a clinal organism derived from a single stalk many moons ago. Weird that they act so differently

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Victoria M

How's my favourite reefing health professional holding up?

I have 7 infected family members in two households, in UK, so yeah, I have that going for me, I guess.

And homeschooling is totally wiping me out. But Callie can now do 1-15 and 8 colours in Spanish.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Victoria M

How's my favourite reefing health professional holding up?

I have 7 infected family members in two households, in UK, so yeah, I have that going for me, I guess.

And homeschooling is totally wiping me out. But Callie can now do 1-15 and 8 colours in Spanish.
I am sorry to hear you have family sick. I hope they have a speedy recovery. It sounds cliche but it is my sincere hope. I hope you and all your girls stay healthy too.
I am not worried about keeping up with my boys education other than the school work they were sent home with. They are very bright and will be fine. I am more focused on their mental health during this isolation from friends and extended family. I must say my 24 year old is njust amazing! He has a strong sense of play and fun, and is very engaging with the younger boys. Last night they were removing parts from an old nerf gun to make it “better” . lol. Today we got them a couple new nerf guns to play with. Oh boy...what was I thinking. They are giggle like loons though!!!!
The stress of not having enough PPE for all our other “normal patients” is getting to me. Some folks in leadership are being snarky. Or staff is oblivious. I am seriously stressed about work. I had faith in the beginning but they are hoarding PPE and putting us at risk now. It is weird. And yesterday my favorite boss jumped all over me because I called incident command center “meetings” and ticked her off. That is my whinging for now. :)

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BOOOOOOOOOOO!

aptasia on the sand x2 . Brought in on the feather duster. I thought I'd killed it but guess I just forced a clone respawn

IMG_1921.JPG

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noooo! Youre kidding right? Aptasia eating nudibranchs or filefish.
Uugghh- aip eating filefish are soooooo uuuuggglllyyyyyy though

I might just push them under the sand with a stick if they move into the correct kill zone

Feel bad getting a berghia nudie since it'll starve and peppermint shrimp only grab the small ones

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure right now tbh- a bit busy.

County just started a shelter in place does 15 days. So, yeah...

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure right now tbh- a bit busy.

County just started a shelter in place does 15 days. So, yeah...
We are sheltering too. So far my family is doing pretty good with it. Husband is working 3 on, 3 off. So he needs a project. Hence the bedroom floor, the bathroom getting a face lift.
The file fish must be admired for reasons other than beauty.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are sheltering too. So far my family is doing pretty good with it. Husband is working 3 on, 3 off. So he needs a project. Hence the bedroom floor, the bathroom getting a face lift.
The file fish must be admired for reasons other than beauty.
NAH- he too ugly.

We self- initiated isolation 3 weeks ago. We could see the signs. So we've had a lot of practice. Sadly, 2 weeks isn't going to cut it- I fully expect this to Ben an ongoing 'rolling lock down' scenario at least through June/ July

Take care Victoria- thoughts are with you and yours

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NAH- he too ugly.

We self- initiated isolation 3 weeks ago. We could see the signs. So we've had a lot of practice. Sadly, 2 weeks isn't going to cut it- I fully expect this to Ben an ongoing 'rolling lock down' scenario at least through June/ July

Take care Victoria- thoughts are with you and yours
Shame on you about the filefish! :) duty is more important than beauty! And aptasia are definately not beautiful!
I am feeling the same way, about lock down. It only makes sense. I pray my healthcare system does not get overloaded. Heard a rumor we finally got n95 masks at work. Hope it is true.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shame on you about the filefish! :) duty is more important than beauty! And aptasia are definately not beautiful!
I am feeling the same way, about lock down. It only makes sense. I pray my healthcare system does not get overloaded. Heard a rumor we finally got n95 masks at work. Hope it is true.
YOu know things have taken a ****** turn when there are rumors that your health services *might* have your critical PPE available, finally

U

User1

View Badges
Uugghh- aip eating filefish are soooooo uuuuggglllyyyyyy though

I might just push them under the sand with a stick if they move into the correct kill zone

Feel bad getting a berghia nudie since it'll starve and peppermint shrimp only grab the small ones

If you lived near me I'd give you mine :). While he or she works amazingly well at cleaning up aptasia it has since gone Sarah Palin / Rogue on me and destroyed a few LPS corals (Duncan and Elegance). I'm sort of stuck at the moment because while the display is managed and cleared once you have aptasia you will always have it. It is in the sump, the overflow box, and of course the plumbing so will continue to spread. Berghia may clear some of it but I believe they won't make it through the plumbing lines and they are just too expensive.

One of those unacceptable side effects I have to deal with.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you lived near me I'd give you mine :). While he or she works amazingly well at cleaning up aptasia it has since gone Sarah Palin / Rogue on me and destroyed a few LPS corals (Duncan and Elegance). I'm sort of stuck at the moment because while the display is managed and cleared once you have aptasia you will always have it. It is in the sump, the overflow box, and of course the plumbing so will continue to spread. Berghia may clear some of it but I believe they won't make it through the plumbing lines and they are just too expensive.

YEah, I'm a bit bummed. The feather duster went through a full 76 day QT because it had sand grains incorporated into its paper tube and I didn't want want to risk ich. Then, 5 day she after I put him in display I see this little aiptasia head popping up. I pulled the duster out and swamped the aiptasia hole with glue. 2 weeks later, its back- so ininjected it with lemon juice and watched it shrivel up and dissolve. But the sand around where the duster was now uas 6 little anemones right there.
I know it's probablynput a bunch of little babies all over the place- I wish there was something I could do to nip it in the bud.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm in the same spot with mine it loves eating LPS especially Euphyllia. I will say though it may be one of the more outgoing fish I've had. Just wish it wouldn't like coral so much.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back