OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crapola is all I got friend. Do not put them in the DT till ya figure it out though.
I put a post up in Hitchikerz, and it’s looking like they are a type of photosynthetic pest flatworm. Don’t eat corals, but can explode in population due to the photosynthesis.

flatworm Exit (which I’ll do inQT) and a wrasse for control in display. I have plans for two flasher wrasses but I think I’ll get a yellow coris Wrasse too.
Not really happy. That’s 3 local guys I’ve bought from and had different issues with each. Bubble algae, flatworms, spirobids, a few other things. Maybe my standards are too high, but I’m QTing anyway so I can keep ahead of it.

We need to catch up friend- been way too long.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! That is the thing about this hobby. Pests in a friends awesome tank can very well in balance In their tank, but wreak havoc in your tank.
and yes, it has been too long friend.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphoned our the bigger aptasia, and transferred then to their own 2.5g... possible future food culture to sustain some berghia nudibranches. Just sitting in my fish room, so temp is kinda stable at 76of, with an air stone.

weirdly, next day, more popped up in the display, and it’s almost like I didn’t make a dent in the population. Couple more siphon sessions, then a couple weeks to see how well the culture goes, then I’ll buy the berghia. Once they deplete the display, I’ll use the cultures stuff to keep them going longer term

D36BCFD9-5085-43B8-BCC8-41E924A093CE.jpeg
52BDFE39-4741-4C19-BAA5-C142C27744F2.jpeg

Also- Leo the skunk cleaner is with eggs. We got a small second shrimp 3 weeks ago for some more movement and to watch the display dances from the shrimp, and they got to it pretty quickly, I guess.

I may try to raise some IF they get consistent with egg production and have successful hatches. Maybe.

00AFBC49-6954-446D-839A-4584234DD4E7.jpeg

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered a lowboy 50 last week, pick up on Thursday AFAIK. This will be my frag/grow out tank in my fish room, using 2 of the old mars aqua 165 for lighting and another daylight spectrum fixture for 4 mangroves I’ve had growing out for a couple months.
Also plan to get a couple euphilia, a long tentacle plate coral, maybe a couple of pieces of monti cap, neon toadstool and a couple fish if I see anything on my list. Been saving up and want to do a big stocking bump

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lowboy 50 pick up is delayed- in-laws want to come visit at the weekend, so im restricted in my outside contacts until after. Pick up will be Tuesday at this point.

im going to do a water replace on the mangroves and add some magnesium sulphate to the water. The leaves on a few are getting a bit yellow. Red mangroves actively pump sodium out of their roots via a magnesium pump (Julien Sprung, looking for primary literature to support that though), so i need to add some now that im raising the salinity. Im at 1.007 at this point and my magnesium reads 36ppm... remember thats pretty much 2 gallons of tap water with a couple cups of IO at 1.026.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I’d leave this here- mangrove grow out thread (trying to get more exposure by spreading my posts)

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah- it’s the terrarium version, which appears to be the ones that have a bit more sloppy silicone and incomplete top corners. Most- if not all- of the accounts of leaky lowboys seem to be because the buyer got this version. LFS dude was super sorry, but said the rep had said they were all out of frag tanks and the terrarium was the same thing.

I double checked the silicone at the shop and it’s a nice thick bead, and the application is right on par with my Aqueon tanks, so that’s fine. I’ll do a water test later this week, and if it leaks, I’ll just add to the silicone, or drop the water level if it’s real close to the top

Because he was feeling bad, LFS dude cut me a deal (50% off) on one of my ‘coral list’ corals, and I also walked out with a long tentacled fungia. Bright green with pale blue tips. It’s a regular fungia, not a heliofungia plate, but it’s tentacles are thinner and about 4” long. That’ll make a nice addition to my fungus corner

FAB0F0A1-7F9F-417B-A2BC-985AF50BC84F.jpeg
A4719245-7DE2-4453-9169-0B63D0449B7C.jpeg

I was planning to hang my frag lights (nothing fancy, just swag hooks from the ceiling) but my youngest is teething, my oldest is fussing and my wife has about 70 chigger bites from being out in the yard the other day. So bad I had to go pick up a prednisolone taper pack so she can move.

So it’s late and I’m probably just going to bum around R2R for a bit

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually stayed up late and hung the lights . Ordered shorter, colored cables, so that’s still in progress. Then I realized I have to pigtail my timer switches since I’m putting a weatherproof box on the outlet to protect it, so it’ll be a bit more involved than I thought. I think I have 8” of wire-mold somewhere I can pretty it up with

C30C9DDE-0FEB-441D-BB0B-EEBAF588144F.jpeg
ECD1247E-E88C-488C-8C4E-45A3385C0E12.jpeg
6CE16B42-8F2C-42C6-A5EF-1918C7CF022A.jpeg

Bonus ‘faux weeping willow’ toadstool. As it went through QT, it’s base got greener, confirming that it is not a legit Weeping Willow. My lfs did mention they are getting 15 frags of the all cream version in 2 weeks, so i put my name down. I’m going to finish up this QT cycle- then clean the tank to blitz my flatworm issue, and go spend some money on 3-4 ‘showpiece’ corals. There was an 8” rainbow Trachy in there today that was a bit out of range but he is getting some 5-6” ones that are more in my spending comfort zone.

2EF303D6-28FA-4F25-AE6B-9EDBC8C34D68.jpeg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually stayed up late and hung the lights . Ordered shorter, colored cables, so that’s still in progress. Then I realized I have to pigtail my timer switches since I’m putting a weatherproof box on the outlet to protect it, so it’ll be a bit more involved than I thought. I think I have 8” of wire-mold somewhere I can pretty it up with

C30C9DDE-0FEB-441D-BB0B-EEBAF588144F.jpeg
ECD1247E-E88C-488C-8C4E-45A3385C0E12.jpeg
6CE16B42-8F2C-42C6-A5EF-1918C7CF022A.jpeg

Bonus ‘faux weeping willow’ toadstool. As it went through QT, it’s base got greener, confirming that it is not a legit Weeping Willow. My lfs did mention they are getting 15 frags of the all cream version in 2 weeks, so i put my name down. I’m going to finish up this QT cycle- then clean the tank to blitz my flatworm issue, and go spend some money on 3-4 ‘showpiece’ corals. There was an 8” rainbow Trachy in there today that was a bit out of range but he is getting some 5-6” ones that are more in my spending comfort zone.

2EF303D6-28FA-4F25-AE6B-9EDBC8C34D68.jpeg
Looks awesome Neil!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome Neil!

Your clone anemone is insane by the way. Crazy. Do you feed it or does it pick up scraps?

My RBTA split After about 3 weeks IN the display, but neither have really grown since. Beautiful colors but short stumpy tentacles. No bubbles. I’m wondering how I coax them to get longer but I don’t want to annoy them to the point they move, lol

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your clone anemone is insane by the way. Crazy. Do you feed it or does it pick up scraps?

My RBTA split After about 3 weeks IN the display, but neither have really grown since. Beautiful colors but short stumpy tentacles. No bubbles. I’m wondering how I coax them to get longer but I don’t want to annoy them to the point they move, lol
He is huge! The clownfish feed it and I usually drop the food on that side of the tank. It has about 25% more PAR in that spot too.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back