OP
PTXReef

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting enough you can collect but it has to be outside state and federal parks and reserves. Active diver here and some of the best diving in the world is in Monterey. As already noted the waters are colder with surface temps in the 54 - 61'ish range with 47 - 49 at depth (ranging from 45 - 115 feet).

Snails, shells, and hermits are not uncommon to take as is 50 gallons of NSW. I do not remove any of the 'nems, starfish, etc due to water temperature. In fact unless you are in the Southern part of the state not really much you can keep due to the more colder waters up North.

Very cool! Before starting my tank I wanted to keep giant kelp haha, dunno why. Then I read about the temp required, not quite yet but one day!

OP
OP
PTXReef

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took these last summer in Malibu

C9E47B9B-0DB3-45CE-89BA-3A81099A452E.jpeg

1C0A6F01-9096-4F1D-8A34-B5675381ED05.jpeg

6A9AD678-E20D-4863-84FD-C5756B7FC8BE.jpeg

It was actually the morning after that horrible diving boat fire off Santa Barbara, kinda eerie

081703FA-FA55-4CE5-B6B0-15853ACEE451.jpeg

Beautiful to see them thriving in their natural habitats!

U

User1

View Badges
Very cool! Before starting my tank I wanted to keep giant kelp haha, dunno why. Then I read about the temp required, not quite yet but one day!

I can understand why :). Diving through the kelp forests are surreal. Really. You are anywhere from 90 to 115 feet deep, gliding over a sandy rocky bottom, and you flip over on your back gently kicking as you pass through it. Looking up the sun rays are punching through with the kelp breaking and light surrounding. Hard to describe really but if you have ever been to the redwood or other similar tall trees the light punching through to the ground is similar with the kelp.

It attaches to the rocks and reaches the surface. Sea lions are weaving in and out of it. Schools of fish. Of all sizes. And oddly enough you will find hermit crabs and snails half way to the top. Really amazing stuff to dive through. Surface and kelp, not so much :). That is a bit dangerous as it can really tangle up in your gear but under water - that is priceless.

OP
OP
PTXReef

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand why :). Diving through the kelp forests are surreal. Really. You are anywhere from 90 to 115 feet deep, gliding over a sandy rocky bottom, and you flip over on your back gently kicking as you pass through it. Looking up the sun rays are punching through with the kelp breaking and light surrounding. Hard to describe really but if you have ever been to the redwood or other similar tall trees the light punching through to the ground is similar with the kelp.

It attaches to the rocks and reaches the surface. Sea lions are weaving in and out of it. Schools of fish. Of all sizes. And oddly enough you will find hermit crabs and snails half way to the top. Really amazing stuff to dive through. Surface and kelp, not so much :). That is a bit dangerous as it can really tangle up in your gear but under water - that is priceless.

Amazing description, I’d love to go one day. Sounds like a great place to relax and lose track of time

myles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanna setup a cold water system, yea you could keep them.
there’s a couple of cold water reef suppliers, most in the PNW area
I am keeping a temperate aquarium but my supplier went out of business several years ago. Would you be able to send me anybodies name so I could hook up with them?
Myes

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am keeping a temperate aquarium but my supplier went out of business several years ago. Would you be able to send me anybodies name so I could hook up with them?
Myes
Cold water Marine Aquatics Out of Oregon was the one I was thinking of. Seems they are no longer in business though :(

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to see those when I lived in San Diego. LaJolla tide pools and also down by Point Loma I believe.

Is it still very illegal to take anything out of the ocean there?
I live in Irvine. It is VERY illegal to remove anything, especially the anemones, from the tide pools at LAGUNA Beach. I’ve been tempted.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just cleaning out an old hard drive and came across these pics I took years ago. Figured I'd post them here for no particular reason. Shows a few different color morphs of the Giant Green Sea Anemone.
2-09-04 008.jpg
Edited Sea Anemone2.jpg
P3220056.jpg

P3220057.jpg
2-09-04 015.jpg
P3220059.jpg

P3220016.jpg
P3220070.jpg

In the water some of them look like glowing neon lights.
Bonus pic if anyone's interested.
2-13-04 Spanish Shawl_Blackeye Goby_Giant Rock Scallop_Purple Sea Urchin.jpg

A little cold water color.;Snaphappy

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a cold water marine Facebook group for those interested and if there's something you're looking for all the sources read the page regularly and more than likely can special collect whatever you want. To correct my first post on this thread you actually can't take any anemones in California legally without a $1500 permit as they are classified as coral with the DFW sadly.

OP
OP
PTXReef

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just cleaning out an old hard drive and came across these pics I took years ago. Figured I'd post them here for no particular reason. Shows a few different color morphs of the Giant Green Sea Anemone.
2-09-04 008.jpg
Edited Sea Anemone2.jpg
P3220056.jpg

P3220057.jpg
2-09-04 015.jpg
P3220059.jpg

P3220016.jpg
P3220070.jpg

In the water some of them look like glowing neon lights.
Bonus pic if anyone's interested.
2-13-04 Spanish Shawl_Blackeye Goby_Giant Rock Scallop_Purple Sea Urchin.jpg

A little cold water color.;Snaphappy

WOAHH LOOKS AMAZING!! Thanks for sharing! That second pic doesn't even look real, such awesome coloration.

giphy.gif

OP
OP
PTXReef

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lg_71003_Catalina_Goby.jpg

This is one little goby I have always wanted to have in the aquarium, but they're a cold water fish, so gonna have to wait for a while longer. Catalina goby.

Wow looks very cool. Kinda reminds me of the Avatar movie by James Cameron. Those fins remind me of the mountain banshees and those blue marks on its face remind me of the Na'vi people!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
lg_71003_Catalina_Goby.jpg

This is one little goby I have always wanted to have in the aquarium, but they're a cold water fish, so gonna have to wait for a while longer. Catalina goby.
Me too!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back