neoGeorge's Build: One Reef & One Planted Freshwater

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Murica - thanks! For the planted freshwater I do weekly 30-50% water changes and dose macro and micro ferts daily with a Jebao doser

Gotcha. I've seen some amazing fresh water setups but never took the plunge to get into them myself. Maybe one day.. The main thing I think holding me back is that I'd need to start an entirely new sump system and the constant water changes. I always loved the discus'. Gets me thinking [emoji848]

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I've seen some amazing fresh water setups but never took the plunge to get into them myself. Maybe one day.. The main thing I think holding me back is that I'd need to start an entirely new sump system and the constant water changes. I always loved the discus'. Gets me thinking [emoji848]

Agreed on discus - I've raised them before and they're glorious fish (although they do like warmer water temps and that limits plant selection, and this time around I wanted a Dutch style planted as a challenge).

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gave the planted tank a major hair cut
0B33BDEE-F3BD-4A9B-9E3E-DEED6EF2ECFD.jpeg

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working through a cyano/diatom (?) issue in the tank for the past few weeks - this comes on the tail end of treating the tank with Vibrant and Fluconazole to remove hair algae (which has been pretty successful so far). Nitrates have been ranging from 0.75-10.0 during the past few weeks, but phosphates have been zero based on the Red Sea Pro test results. Since I haven't had the skimmer installed since the move and I'm not using any phosphate removal media, the phosphate number has been a surprise, and probably corresponds to the issue at hand.

Fleshy corals seem to be very happy, but the GSP and mushrooms are struggling. Also, lost my beloved cleaner shrimp after 1.5 years for no apparent reason, so it may be related. Fish are also very happy.

Sooo, the skimmer is back in place and I've upped the feeding quantity, which has made the fish very happy. Will have to let this play out a bit more to see if the system will stabilize in more positive territory...

ReefCyanoDiatoms-10006.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, lost my beloved cleaner shrimp after 1.5 years for no apparent reason, so it may be related.
Cleaner Shrimp are not long lived. If you got him around 2” it may just have been his time.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner Shrimp are not long lived. If you got him around 2” it may just have been his time.

Thanks @NY_Caveman - my last cleaner shrimp only lived for a couple of years, so perhaps water parameters were not the issue either time; this would make sense given the apparent good health of all the fish and snails...

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now both nitrate and phosphate are zero per the Red Sea Pro tests, and the cyano is very happy. Never thought this tank would go to zeros, and that was never my goal; so another 10% water change and a bit more patience to see where things go. The fish are quite happy with the extra food :)

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The housing market is hot in Phoenix, so our landlord has decided to sell the house we're renting 6 months before our lease is up. With no option to renew the lease, and the home now on the market, we're looking for new digs - so, another move. I think we'll be buying this time ;)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back