OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out of touch for a while, did you move again? Also, how is the planted tank doing?
Hey @mch1984 , good to hear from you; hope you are well!

Last September the landlord sold the rental house, in spite of our 1 year lease, and forced us to move. Fortunately we were able to hustle and buy a place, so we and our pets should have some time to settle down, assuming we all make it through this pandemic (out of the pan, into the fire - my husband is a nurse at the VA, so everyday has become a stress event about COVID infection coming home).

So thankful for our dog and water pets; caring for them provides a welcome distraction :)

The reef now has three Chromis and a Pajama cardinal to add more color and activity to the tank. Also purchased two higher end Acans (ones that really have the color shown in the online photo!) - Acans have really thrived in this aquarium.

The planted tank now has four Discus and five Dennison barbs, and they're all doing great. My CO2 did run out the other day and it will be a while before I go to the store for a refill, so not sure how the plants will do in the mean time. Also been dealing with quite a bit of algae, largely because Discus are very shy feeders, and after adding them to the tank about 6 weeks ago I've had to overfeed, and feed twice daily, to make sure they had a chance to eat. They recently became more comfortable and "run" to the front of the tank and attack the food during feeding. Over time I will deal with the algae, but it's a back burner issue for now.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow, this tank is looking fantastic too! Those discus really pop!

For some reason, I thought this tank was more heavily planted. I think you might be pleasantly surprised that it may do well without the CO2.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this tank is looking fantastic too! Those discus really pop!

For some reason, I thought this tank was more heavily planted. I think you might be pleasantly surprised that it may do well without the CO2.
Thanks @crusso1993 !

This tank was more heavily planted originally, but some varieties of plant did not survive the second move, and the hydrocotyle became unruly. I have a pretty large fish load in this tank now, so, like in the reef tank, I've put a larger emphasis on the color and activity of the fish than on the plants.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago I had purchased another addition to then planted aquarium; a Paradise fish. A juvenile when I purchased it, the LFS assured me it was a "chill" fish and would play well with a community tank. Big time wrong. A beautiful fish though, so I moved it to its own Edge nano tank.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago I had purchased another addition to then planted aquarium; a Paradise fish. A juvenile when I purchased it, the LFS assured me it was a "chill" fish and would play well with a community tank. Big time wrong. A beautiful fish though, so I moved it to its own Edge nano tank.

It certainly is a beauty!

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both tanks are looking good, and the discus are awesome. I have a 180 gallon fish only freshwater. I plan on building my daughter an indoor (ish) pond for her turtle. When I do the big guys in there will join the turtle. I go back and forth on turning the 180 into a planted with discus or a reef. I still don't know for sure.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both tanks are looking good, and the discus are awesome. I have a 180 gallon fish only freshwater. I plan on building my daughter an indoor (ish) pond for her turtle. When I do the big guys in there will join the turtle. I go back and forth on turning the 180 into a planted with discus or a reef. I still don't know for sure.
Sounds like great projects! Large and frequent water changes are so critical for planted freshwater tanks if you want to keep the algae down; something to consider for a large tank like a 180 gallon. Or, you can just decide to live with a bit of algae and place the focus on the fish. I have used the Python system to change water, which made water changes pretty simple, but it turns out that the Python does not fit onto any fixtures in our home, not even with their "universal" adapter kit, so I now use 5 gallon buckets for water changes and large weekly changes are too inconvenient.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like great projects! Large and frequent water changes are so critical for planted freshwater tanks if you want to keep the algae down; something to consider for a large tank like a 180 gallon. Or, you can just decide to live with a bit of algae and place the focus on the fish. I have used the Python system to change water, which made water changes pretty simple, but it turns out that the Python does not fit onto any fixtures in our home, not even with their "universal" adapter kit, so I now use 5 gallon buckets for water changes and large weekly changes are too inconvenient.
I had the same problem with the python in my last house. I had to go to Home Depot a couple of times but I finally found the different cross overs and bushings to make it work. You may check it out after all the craziness, you may be able to get it done.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With the close proximity of that window, could you not just drain the water out of it?

Do you have a laundry room with a utility sink?

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the close proximity of that window, could you not just drain the water out of it?

Do you have a laundry room with a utility sink?

Good eye @crusso1993 !

Yes, I drain the tank out the window and into a rain barrel, then use the water in our garden. It's the refill that's an issue; the Python won't attach to the faucet (including the laundry room), so I can't refill with temperature adjusted water via the hose. It's possible that a box store has a bushing that will work as @mch1984 mentions, but that search will have to wait for another time, hopefully in the not too distant future!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good eye @crusso1993 !

Yes, I drain the tank out the window and into a rain barrel, then use the water in our garden. It's the refill that's an issue; the Python won't attach to the faucet (including the laundry room), so I can't refill with temperature adjusted water via the hose. It's possible that a box store has a bushing that will work as @mch1984 mentions, but that search will have to wait for another time, hopefully in the not too distant future!

You're probably going to laugh but this is the high-tech attachment I use for refilling my 90g during weekly water changes. It works like a charm! Like you, the old water goes out a window. I typically change out 45g.

20200410_181412.jpg

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're probably going to laugh but this is the high-tech attachment I use for refilling my 90g during weekly water changes. It works like a charm! Like you, the old water goes out a window. I typically change out 45g.

20200410_181412.jpg

I totally appreciate that solution! The Python "universal" adapter is a similar setup, but our faucets either have spray heads or they lack a snorkel to attach to. Kind of hard to explain, but I've tried myriad options without success at this point - persistence will prevail though!

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, a video update! Tank is looking great, and no algae issues even though nitrates are above 4 (normally below 2).

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, a video update! Tank is looking great, and no algae issues even though nitrates are above 4 (normally below 2).

I'm not exactly sure what's going on but the video did not load again. Additionally, the site hangs up a bit when I view your thread now. It's the only one that gives me any issue.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not exactly sure what's going on but the video did not load again. Additionally, the site hangs up a bit when I view your thread now. It's the only one that gives me any issue.
Very unfortunate; I'll see if I can get an administrator to look into this issue!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back