neoGeorge's Build: One Reef & One Planted Freshwater

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As part of a cross-country move, I've ordered two JBJ 65 gallon AIO aquariums to be drop shipped to sunny Arizona, where I'll have an opportunity to set them up and let them run for a few weeks before I drive out with the inhabitants of my current tanks (one reef and one planted fresh water).

So why this tank? Price, features and personal experience with JBJ. My current reef tank is a JBJ NanoCube 28g and I love the tank - it's outfitted and automated to a point that it needs very little maintenance, and it didn't cost a king's ransom to build. I would love for my new tank to be a Red Sea or Waterbox, but I was able to combine a sale and a Promo Code to get the JBJ with stand for under $1000, and although an All In One tank has limitations, it does make for a less expensive and easier build.

upload_2019-1-30_3-53-24.png

upload_2019-1-30_3-53-50.png

upload_2019-1-30_4-0-6.png

For some reason there are very few build threads on this aquarium, so I'll do my best to shine some light on the pros and cons when mine arrive in a couple of weeks.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RF65 dimensions 2019-01-30_05-02-55.jpg
Ecotech Spectrum2019-01-30_06-22-34.jpg
Awesome! What are you going to do for light?

Great question, and a TBD. I've been looking at:
  • 2 - Aqua Illumination Prime HDs ($400 + mounting accessories)
  • 2 - Kessil A160WE Tuna Blues ($460 + mounting accessories)
  • Repurposing my current custom RapidLed setup, which has supported excellent coral growth over the past 2.5 years ($150 + mounting accessories) - this setup is based on articles documenting the best wavelengths for coral viewing and growth
    • Power Supply: SE-350-48
    • 2 - LDD-1000H drivers
    • 1 - LDD-700H driver
    • Bluefish Mini Controller (I love this controller, it let's me pick a location, like Fiji, and replicates the sun/clouds/storms based on current weather data)
    • CREE Royal Blue LEDs (450 nm)
    • CREE Cool White LEDs
    • CREE Neutral White LEDs
    • SemiLED Violet UV LEDs (410-420 nm)
    • SemiLED Ultra Violet UVA LEDs (390-400 nm)
JBJhoodLEDupgrade-1392.jpg

Here's a video of the tank with this DIY LED solution:

Last edited:
OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great question, and a TBD. I've been looking at:
  • 2 - Aqua Illumination Prime HDs ($400 + mounting accessories)
  • 2 - Kessil A160WE Tuna Blues ($460 + mounting accessories)
  • Repurposing my current custom RapidLed setup, which has supported excellent coral growth over the past 2.5 years ($150 + mounting accessories) - this setup is based on articles documenting the best wavelengths for coral viewing and growth
    • Power Supply: SE-350-48
    • 2 - LDD-1000H drivers
    • 1 - LDD-700H driver
    • Bluefish Mini Controller (I love this controller, it let's me pick a location, like Fiji, and replicates the sun/clouds/storms based on current weather data)
    • CREE Royal Blue LEDs (450 nm)
    • CREE Cool White LEDs
    • CREE Neutral White LEDs
    • SemiLED Violet UV LEDs (410-420 nm)
    • SemiLED Ultra Violet UVA LEDs (390-400 nm)

Based on @Manose thread, I'll also be considering the Noopsyche K7 Pro II and Aquarium System Solution ASML products:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-real-black-box-light-study.503052/

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on using the same DIY Arduino-based controller that's on the nanocube:

ArduinoTouchController-3027.jpg

I didn't document the build, but it's made with parts purchased from Amazon; I coded using the Arduino.cc compiler. The interface is via a 2.8" touch screen LCD and devices are controlled via a relay module:
  • FEED: turns ON the wavemaker and everything else off for 15 minutes (countdown appears in top left of display)
  • CHG: turns everything (Skimmer, ATO, pumps & wave maker) OFF for 30 minutes (countdown appears in top left of display)
  • Rato: cycles the ATO OFF for 15 seconds, then back ON
  • SKM, ATO, PMP and WAV toggle the state of the corresponding device (status of each device is displayed in the small third line of text; blue signifies OFF, white ON)
  • CA, Mg, NO3 & PO4 provide timers and prompting for the corresponding Red Sea Pro test
Build cost was about $75 - $100. No WiFi or Bluetooth, though, so a DIY builder project, but I do love the functionality.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reviewing the many LED options (thanks @Manose and @BRS), I've decided on the Cobalt Aquatics C-Ray 200, which is on clearance at BRS for $400. One light is supposed to be sufficient for a 36" wide tank.

upload_2019-2-2_6-44-44.png

upload_2019-2-2_6-45-23.png

upload_2019-2-2_6-46-3.png

upload_2019-2-2_6-46-34.png

Cobalt Aquatics is proud to announce the arrival of the most advanced aquarium LED lighting on the market - The C-Ray 200! Cobalt Aquatics’ line of C-Ray LED light fixtures bring powerful LEDs, minimalist design and advanced electronics together for the ultimate in aquarium light fixtures. The innovative C-Ray lights incorporate high output chips, fill light strips, and circular halo moon lights to provide strong, evenly distributed PAR output in one full spectrum, controllable array. Providing up to 500 PAR at 200 watts, the C-Ray 200 can cover tanks up to 48" long with beautiful, crisp light. Active, thermostatically controlled adaptive fans and copper heatsinks keep the C-Ray running cooler and quieter than any other light out there. With multiple mounting options, app driven Wi-Fi controllability out of the box, exclusive wide field quartz optical lenses, compact design and a waterproof power adapter, the C-Ray sets a new standard for aquarium lighting, outperforming all other currently available LED lights.

• 200W Variable Power Consumption with Waterproof Transformer
  • Up to 500 PAR at 12"
  • Dual High-Density CREE LED Pucks
  • 120° Quartz Wide-Angle Optics Provide up to 48" Spread
  • Unique Fill Light LED Strip for True-to-Nature Color Blending
  • Dual Halo Moonlights for Wide, Even Moonlighting Effects
  • Full Featured 6 Channel Lighting Control with Ramp, Storm, Cloud, and Lunar Effects
  • App & WiFi Controllable and Programmable with Nothing Extra to Buy
  • Shareable Custom Lighting Programs
  • Hanging Kit and Mounting Arm Options for Rimless or Rimmed Tanks*
  • Oversized Copper Heat Sinks for Maximum Heat Dissipation
  • Dual Whisper Quiet Temperature Controlled Cooling Fans
  • Touch Sensitive Buttons for Quick, App Free Adjustments
  • 1 Year Warranty
  • Unlimited Cobalt Tank Tech Support Online or Over the Phone

Last edited:

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two new tank, sounds like a blast. Going to show of the planted build here as well? I know I personally would not be offended, I like a good planted tank. I'm planning a garage take over with a large reef tank, but I have every intention of doing a 180 planted in the room as well. I still think planted tanks are some of the prettiest tanks out there.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two new tank, sounds like a blast. Going to show of the planted build here as well? I know I personally would not be offended, I like a good planted tank. I'm planning a garage take over with a large reef tank, but I have every intention of doing a 180 planted in the room as well. I still think planted tanks are some of the prettiest tanks out there.

@mch1984 I was concerned about including the planted aquarium build on this forum, but would be happy to include it!

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nobody else as issues with I certainly don't. As excited as I am about doing a big reef tank, I am equally excited about doing a very high tech planted tank. I've always wanted to do a planted that I went all out on, high end lighting, automation, specially selected scaping supplies, and everything else.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The C-Ray 200 has a Plant mode, so I purchased one of these for the freshwater aquarium as well - I'm guessing this setting pushes the Red and White channels to 100%, but we'll see once they arrive...

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The C-Ray 200 has a Plant mode, so I purchased one of these for the freshwater aquarium as well - I'm guessing this setting pushes the Red and White channels to 100%, but we'll see once they arrive...
Very nice, I actually think when I do mine i'm going with radion. A friend as the xr15 freshwater and it looks good and he's had great plan growth out of it.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, I actually think when I do mine i'm going with radion. A friend as the xr15 freshwater and it looks good and he's had great plan growth out of it.

Great name and a good price on the Radion - I'm hoping the C-RAY will cover the full 36" width of the JBJ 65g (and it will match the light on the reef aquarium :)

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a solid choice! What skimmer are you using on your JBJ?
Tunze Comline 9004. Started with a Hydor Slim Skim, bad choice. Loud fluctuations with the motor and extremely inefficient. What I liked least about it was once the skimmer filled with water the skimmer cup would float so you would get tons of micro bubbles. Settled on the Tunze and so far so good.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze Comline 9004. Started with a Hydor Slim Skim, bad choice. Loud fluctuations with the motor and extremely inefficient. What I liked least about it was once the skimmer filled with water the skimmer cup would float so you would get tons of micro bubbles. Settled on the Tunze and so far so good.

Everyone seems to be using the 9004, so that seems like the go to for the AIO tanks!

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally subscribed to the build thread, and I am excited to see how this turns out for you--thanks for sending the link! I do like my AI Prime, but honestly I had to get two for the JBJ 45, just because of lighting restrictions. I think the Cobalt or the DIY option would be strong candidates for yourself. Also I had to really comment on your project below:

I'm planning on using the same DIY Arduino-based controller that's on the nanocube:

ArduinoTouchController-3027.jpg

I didn't document the build, but it's made with parts purchased from Amazon; I coded using the Arduino.cc compiler. The interface is via a 2.8" touch screen LCD and devices are controlled via a relay module:
  • FEED: turns ON the wavemaker and everything else off for 15 minutes (countdown appears in top left of display)
  • CHG: turns everything (Skimmer, ATO, pumps & wave maker) OFF for 30 minutes (countdown appears in top left of display)
  • Rato: cycles the ATO OFF for 15 seconds, then back ON
  • SKM, ATO, PMP and WAV toggle the state of the corresponding device (status of each device is displayed in the small third line of text; blue signifies OFF, white ON)
  • CA, Mg, NO3 & PO4 provide timers and prompting for the corresponding Red Sea Pro test
Build cost was about $75 - $100. No WiFi or Bluetooth, though, so a DIY builder project, but I do love the functionality.

I have been thinking about doing this as part of a project as well, although we'll see what I end up doing specifically for my project. I may do Arduino or a Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally subscribed to the build thread, and I am excited to see how this turns out for you--thanks for sending the link! I do like my AI Prime, but honestly I had to get two for the JBJ 45, just because of lighting restrictions. I think the Cobalt or the DIY option would be strong candidates for yourself. Also I had to really comment on your project below:

I have been thinking about doing this as part of a project as well, although we'll see what I end up doing specifically for my project. I may do Arduino or a Raspberry Pi.

@KC V. - if you go the Arduino route, let me know and I send you my script (if you're interested - note: I am not a professional coder :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back