neoGeorge's Build: One Reef & One Planted Freshwater

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely following along. Came from @KC V. thread. Looking great. I always love an aio build. Funny how we all had or have a jbj. Mine sadly broke and washed 45g on my hardwood floor! Anyway good luck!
I almost said “not me” then remembered my first was a JBJ 12.

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to introduce you to this thread (so excited to see how the tanks in the neighboring AZ over end out!!!)

But !!!;Nailbiting!!! Did you have the flat panel or the curved. Were you able to rescue livestock? Any tips for the rest of us with the JBJ?
I had the old curved the Flat panel is much butter and saved and fish and coral! I'm pretty sure the new tanks have filter socks now. Just regular up keep on all filtration but found the return pumps to be a bit tricky sometimes and they stop working. I bought one bigger pump and just split it off in two to come out the return nozzle. Also added a gyre and with it they both make great water movement.

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the price I paid, and purchased on Preferred Reefer day and got 10x points!

I think you can still get 10x points on these lights at BRS. I picked some up for my new 100 gallon IM ext build. Another 1 for my IM Nuvo 40. I plan on mounting 2 of these C-ray 200's in a 48" Geiesmann Stellar or the newer version Aquatic Life when it comes out. The tank is going to have to cycle first anyway so I have time to decide. I will keep watch on how things are going with neoGeorge and hopefully get some good information on the C-ray 200 setup and performance. Maybe a custom program.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-lighting/aquarium-led-lighting/cobalt-aquatics.html

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed from the 100ext to the 112 lagoon (35.5" x 35.5"). I still plan on using 2 c-ray 200s. I am continuing to follow along to see how you like the c-ray 200 and what program you end up setting your light at.

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I also just purchased one of the C Rays. Going to put it on a IM30l My first reef tank...

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the shimmer on these lights?

@Lor it appears these lights have a nice shimmer effect - I'll be posting some unboxing and setup pictures today, along with a very brief video of the tank with the C-Ray 200 turned on (although this is an initial setup, so the water is cloudy...)

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic but do you have any idea what the black coarse sponge is used for and where does it go? I know it goes some place in the (rear) sump I'm just not sure where. Perhaps to prevent micro bubbles? It came included with the tanka long with the filter socks, media, etc.

@Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer there are two coarse black sponges provided in the back sump (chamber right next to each return). The way they are packaged, the sponges are on top of the bio and charcoal media, so it may just be a mechanical means to keep the media in place.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed from the 100ext to the 112 lagoon (35.5" x 35.5"). I still plan on using 2 c-ray 200s. I am continuing to follow along to see how you like the c-ray 200 and what program you end up setting your light at.

@bckey I'll be thinking about custom programs as the tanks cycle. I did set up a DIY Acclimation program to help the critters adjust once they are introduced; this is something I'll fine tune over the next few weeks.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, been out of town for a couple weeks, but do have some show and tell pictures to share today of the unboxing and setup of the JBJ 65s and stands!

Both of the aquariums arrived in great condition - no shipping damage, yeah!
JBJ65unboxing-3129.jpg

The white cardboard box houses two pieces of glass with plastic mounting brackets - these cover the top of the tank but leave the sump area open.
JBJ65unboxing-3130.jpg

When I was researching this tank, dimensional information on the sump was hard to come by, so here are a few ruler photos that should help anyone trying to decide what equipment will fit in the sump.
JBJ65unboxing-3133.jpg

JBJ65unboxing-3134.jpg

JBJ65unboxing-3137.jpg

The JBJ cabinets have a beautiful gloss finish
JBJ65unboxing-3139.jpg

The included pumps are quite large - here's a comparison between a stock pump and a Cobalt Aquatics MJ-1200; both have similar flow and power consumption.
JBJ65unboxing-3144.jpg

Here's the media that's included with the tank - this media was packed into the chambers next to the filter sock chambers. I don't plan to use the ceramic tubes for the saltwater setup since I've read that this type of media doesn't really help with bio-filtration with saltwater - please feel free to share your experience and thoughts on this ;-)
JBJ65unboxing-3148.jpg

A black pad is packaged with the aquarium - don't forget install this on top of the stand.
JBJ65unboxing-3146.jpg

The tank/stand are leveled and ready for water!
JBJ65unboxing-3149.jpg

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuing on with some setup photos...

Added sand, then started filling with Red Sea Pro salt water; it took 3 days to make the 65 gallons of RODI saltwater mix (didn't have an auto shut-off on the RODI fill, so had to manually monitor the fill of a 32 gallon trash can, then heat, add salt and mix each batch).
JBJ65setup-3152.jpg
JBJ65setup-3152.jpg

Installed the C-Ray 200 while making the second batch of salt water; looks like this light will provide good coverage for the whole tank.
JBJ65setup-3155.jpg

Another ruler photo...
JBJ65setup_filtersock-3160.jpg

Glass plates installed as top. I'll be looking at screen top options down the road. The new rock is in place now to cycle the tank, but most rock in the final setup will come from my existing JBJ Nano Cube 28g tank.
JBJ65setup_filtersock-3166.jpg

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, great pictures! Looking great can't wait to see this tank all set up! Any idea on how you are going to cycle the tank(bottled bacteria?)

I added live sand and FritzZyme 9 bacteria in a bottle. Using a dash of New Life Spectrum pellet food to feed the cycle. After 2 days the Ammonia was at 1 ppm, Nitrite at 1 ppm, and Nitrate at about 5 ppm (all tests using API reagents, so these are pretty course numbers). I'm out of town a lot, so it may be a month or two before I'm ready to add anything

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone has constructive ideas on how to ship these corals and fish across the country, please share! Otherwise I'll be prepping for a 3-4 day drive with these critters in heated coolers ;-)

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back