neoGeorge's Build: One Reef & One Planted Freshwater

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, been out of town for a couple weeks, but do have some show and tell pictures to share today of the unboxing and setup of the JBJ 65s and stands!

Both of the aquariums arrived in great condition - no shipping damage, yeah!
JBJ65unboxing-3129.jpg

The white cardboard box houses two pieces of glass with plastic mounting brackets - these cover the top of the tank but leave the sump area open.
JBJ65unboxing-3130.jpg

When I was researching this tank, dimensional information on the sump was hard to come by, so here are a few ruler photos that should help anyone trying to decide what equipment will fit in the sump.
JBJ65unboxing-3133.jpg

JBJ65unboxing-3134.jpg

JBJ65unboxing-3137.jpg

The JBJ cabinets have a beautiful gloss finish
JBJ65unboxing-3139.jpg

The included pumps are quite large - here's a comparison between a stock pump and a Cobalt Aquatics MJ-1200; both have similar flow and power consumption.
JBJ65unboxing-3144.jpg

Here's the media that's included with the tank - this media was packed into the chambers next to the filter sock chambers. I don't plan to use the ceramic tubes for the saltwater setup since I've read that this type of media doesn't really help with bio-filtration with saltwater - please feel free to share your experience and thoughts on this ;-)
JBJ65unboxing-3148.jpg

A black pad is packaged with the aquarium - don't forget install this on top of the stand.
JBJ65unboxing-3146.jpg

The tank/stand are leveled and ready for water!
JBJ65unboxing-3149.jpg
So glad to hear that you didn't have to deal with broken tanks upon delivery (and then disposing of said broken tanks--45gal was hard enough to get rid of).

Looks like to have the same depth of the sump as the 45, so the Tunze 9004 should fit right in the compartment after the sock (I'll get you dimensions of mine).

And ouch on the multi day saltwater fill-up, but it only has to happen once. Looking forward to hearing how you'll get your livestock across the country. You'll have to do a roadtrip journal if driving becomes the route.

Getting excited!

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad to hear that you didn't have to deal with broken tanks upon delivery (and then disposing of said broken tanks--45gal was hard enough to get rid of).

Looks like to have the same depth of the sump as the 45, so the Tunze 9004 should fit right in the compartment after the sock (I'll get you dimensions of mine).

And ouch on the multi day saltwater fill-up, but it only has to happen once. Looking forward to hearing how you'll get your livestock across the country. You'll have to do a roadtrip journal if driving becomes the route.

Getting excited!

Thanks @KC V. - Appreciate your support and enthusiasm on this build!

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I broke down and purchased a Seneye Reef Monitor to document the PAR/PUR of my current JBJ Nano Cube 28g and the new JBJ 65g lighting; BRS has them on sale. I justified this purchase by concluding that I can reduce stress on my current corals by documenting the current lighting, then set the C-Ray 200 to mimic the levels during acclimation. Of course, I'd also like to see what the C-Ray is capable of producing ;-) Budget, what budget?

Res_Ipsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@neoGeorge just found your build thread; all is looking very good! I just set up an analog tank to yours but they look remarkably similar. It's interesting using the limitations of the rear sump, but like you, sometimes the space constraints help prevent playing mad scientist. Very cool so far!

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@neoGeorge just found your build thread; all is looking very good! I just set up an analog tank to yours but they look remarkably similar. It's interesting using the limitations of the rear sump, but like you, sometimes the space constraints help prevent playing mad scientist. Very cool so far!

Thanks @Res_Ipsa - I've really enjoyed the 28g AIO, and cost and complexity soar with a separate sump :)

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my C-Ray 200 on my Nuvo 40 last night and it sure seems like the mount with the weight of the light puts a lot of stress on the glass. I can see the back glass flex some when I take my hands off it after tightening the screws. I love the light so far though. The software is way better than what I used with Orphek and the light has a beautiful shimmer with zero disco ball effect. I wouldn't be able to tell it apart from a couple of kessils if I was just looking at a video of the tank without knowing what was lighting it. Following your thread for upcoming par readings with your new Seneye reef monitor and to see your 2 tanks progress.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vowed to never again do an AIO, but I find myself looking into the fiji cube ones for a desk top tank at work. Funny how you forget stuff sometimes. I have respect for people who have beautiful AIO tanks, I couldn't pull it off the first time I tried. I think I can now, which is why I"m looking at them again.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my C-Ray 200 on my Nuvo 40 last night and it sure seems like the mount with the weight of the light puts a lot of stress on the glass. I can see the back glass flex some when I take my hands off it after tightening the screws. I love the light so far though. The software is way better than what I used with Orphek and the light has a beautiful shimmer with zero disco ball effect. I wouldn't be able to tell it apart from a couple of kessils if I was just looking at a video of the tank without knowing what was lighting it. Following your thread for upcoming par readings with your new Seneye reef monitor and to see your 2 tanks progress.

@bckey there was a rectangular piece of acrylic supplied with the mount (one side glossy black, the other matte) - the instructions didn't mention this piece, from what I saw, so I placed it between the ends of the nylon screws and the glass of the tank to distribute the force. You may have done the same. I'm out of town and can't check the aquarium, but didn't notice any glass flexing (but wasn't looking closely either...)

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I did the same thing and put the piece on the back side of the glass under the screws. Only thing I could figure it was for. I love the light. Very polished, hardware and program. I have a couple more of these c-rays that I was going to put on my new 100 gal ext. That all changed when I switched the order to the new lagoon 112 (36" x 36"). I may still use them on it but I will have to hang them if I do because the tank is eurobraced. I am not sure 2 c-ray 200's will produce the par needed to light a 36" x 36" tank that will be sps mainly. Hence the following along for the upcoming par readings. I tossed around getting 2 illumagic blaze x's or 2 reefbreeder photons. 2 of the illumagic would be a very expensive $2000. Reefbreeders a little over half of that and c-rays are already paid for.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vowed to never again do an AIO, but I find myself looking into the fiji cube ones for a desk top tank at work. Funny how you forget stuff sometimes. I have respect for people who have beautiful AIO tanks, I couldn't pull it off the first time I tried. I think I can now, which is why I"m looking at them again.

@mch1984 since I've only done AIO tanks, ignorance is protecting me from moving to a tank with a separate sump, and I do love my Nano Cube 28g; it has a bit of cyano, but not too much, and algae, which might be the results of the limitation of an AIO, I don't know. I think a fuge is a great idea, and the sump on the 65g may be large enough to implement a solution, and down the road this may help with the cyano and algae. Lighting on the current 28g may also be an issue - I use a DIY LED solution and it's possible the spectrum is not adjusted optimally (will learn more when the Seneye arrives :)

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good @neoGeorge ! Where at in Phoenix at you? I’m in CA now but I’m a born and raised Phoenician! My parents still live in Norterra/Anthem area. I grew up in Tempe though. Anyways, nice build!

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I did the same thing and put the piece on the back side of the glass under the screws. Only thing I could figure it was for. I love the light. Very polished, hardware and program. I have a couple more of these c-rays that I was going to put on my new 100 gal ext. That all changed when I switched the order to the new lagoon 112 (36" x 36"). I may still use them on it but I will have to hang them if I do because the tank is eurobraced. I am not sure 2 c-ray 200's will produce the par needed to light a 36" x 36" tank that will be sps mainly. Hence the following along for the upcoming par readings. I tossed around getting 2 illumagic blaze x's or 2 reefbreeder photons. 2 of the illumagic would be a very expensive $2000. Reefbreeders a little over half of that and c-rays are already paid for.

Yeah, the C-Rays have like a 20" x 36" coverage, but that may not be at the PAR you need for SPS

ParRating_RGB_300dpi_1000x.jpg

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good @neoGeorge ! Where at in Phoenix at you? I’m in CA now but I’m a born and raised Phoenician! My parents still live in Norterra/Anthem area. I grew up in Tempe though. Anyways, nice build!

Thanks @Hemmdog ! I'll be living in North-Central Phoenix once the move is completed...

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicee! Enjoy!
In the mean time I'm in transition, and only get to visit the cycling 65g tanks occasionally - there is so much I'd like to do on these tanks, including frequent monitoring of parameters, but distance is forcing patience, which is probably a good thing!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back