Neon Dottyback and Purple Orchid Dottyback - can be grouped in a tank?

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
73g RedSea tank, currently with Neon Blue Damsel, 2x Blood Orange Clown, 3x BlueGreen Chromis and Flame Angel.

Thinking of adding Dottyback to the tank, saw it in lfs with Neon and Purple and bi-color too, everyone is in separate tank for some reason.

No experience with this fish for me, wondering if multiple mix of this two dottyback can be added at same time? would it be compatible with my existing fish?

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a good reason. These fish are terrors. Pick one only if you must. With your current stock list, one will probably be fine. Chances are they will murder any small fish you try to add to the tank later.

any specific one to pick from bi-color, neon, purple or it just a preference?

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those three are all really aggressive. I'd actually suggest getting an Orchid Dottyback as they are less aggressive and readily available as captive bred. But out of those three, probably the bi-color or purple. The neons are most aggressive out of that trio. Though there is variation between individuals, this is just a guideline from hobby texts, experience.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, an orchid dottyback would likely be fine. I'd recommend a captive bred one (check out cultivated reef) and only one dottyback per tank.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like purple take a look at the black cap basslet. Love the purple coloration of mine and its very peaceful

LOL. I googled 'black cap basslet' and happened to find this "friendly" guy:

BlackCap_Basslet__58551.1539288698.jpg

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just so you know, there's a difference between an orchid dottyback (psuedochromis fridmani) and a purple dottyback (psuedochromis porphyreus). look at pictures of both, the black eye line being the fairly obvious trait difference

orchids are fairly peaceful (for a dottyback) purples are quite aggressive

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Basslet a Dottyback, if not can this exist with another Orchid Dottyback bi-color , may be.

Also my daughter added Royal Grama to the list, can all this co-exist without aggressiveness?

DuckSlayer627

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal gramma and Black Cap Basslet are going to be the most peaceful. Orchid(Fridmani), Bicolor, Purple and Neon will go in that order from least to most aggressive. Yes dottyback and basslet as well as pseudochromis are interchangeable names for the same thing. The Royal Gramma and Black Cap will hide way more than the Orchid or Neon. I did have a pair of Neons for about 3 years and then one day they hated each other a one was killed. Normally choose just 1 because they will fight. While diving I always see Royal Grammas and Black Caps in schools. Sometimes over 20-30 of them together, so you may be able to get a small school of them, but it will be difficult in a 70gal tank. A good friend has 4 or 5 Royal Grammas in his 220gal. and they get along just fine.

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the feedback, ended up getting one Royal Gramma and no dottyback or orchids.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pseudochromis used to be okay fish - with the exception of the Aldabrensis which was a murderer. But now that they are many generations into being captive bred and raised in big groups all the Captive bred pseudos have become good community fish in a larger tank. I have Flaviritex, multiple Arabians, Fridmandi, Springeri and a few hybrids. They are in with a ton of other smaller fish - Including Grammas and Black Cap - and they are all calm and peaceful.

Dave B

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seem like Royal Gramma have some characteristics, hour later it settled in a cave like spot and when a small blue tang approached, it opened his mouth wide open saying something like its my place. I did not know Royal Gramma is Basslet category. Can't wait to move from QT to DT in about 30 days observation. (no medication)

Biochemophiliac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal gramma holds its own when bigger. Less likely to attack but definitely holds off the damsels and bully fish.

Back