Neon Goby and Red-Head Goby in 30 gallon?

Niklas123321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am new to this hobby and have a 30 gallon tank, currently housing one neon goby (elacatinus evelynae) and some inverts. I wish to add another goby to this tank, a red-head goby (elacatinus puncticulatus), though I am not sure how this will work out. I am aware that neon gobys have high aggression to their own species if they aren't mated pairs, but how do they behave towards fish in their own genus (or gobys in general) which are morphologically different?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be fine. I have never had any issues with neon gobies being aggressive towards each other. I have has 3 and 4 together in smaller and larger tanks. I just wish they lived more than 3 years.

OP
OP
N

Niklas123321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be fine. I have never had any issues with neon gobies being aggressive towards each other. I have has 3 and 4 together in smaller and larger tanks. I just wish they lived more than 3 years.
Huh, aren‘t they kinda notorious for their aggression ?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never heard that. Not in my experience. The shark one gobies are much more aggressive and some people may mix them up.

OP
OP
N

Niklas123321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never heard that. Not in my experience. The shark one gobies are much more aggressive and some people may mix them up.
Don‘t people use neon goby interchangeably for oceanops/evelynae/figaro? Evelynae should be sharknose goby

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean name wise? Name wise they may, but they are not the same. They are all considered cleaner gobies. Sharknose Gobies have both blue and yellow, are a little larger, more aggressive and not compatible with the other two. I will not buy one again as I prefer the oceanopes or the less common figaro gobies. I have head both of these referred to as and sold as neon gobies. I wish the figaro gobies were more common. I used to keep both but have not seen any figaro for sale in years. When I check out ORA or Biola they are always out of stock. My local Petco gets captive bred sharknose and Oceanopes regularly. I have two blues neons in QT and 4 in my display currently.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back