Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune Apex and CoralVue Hydros: Personal Opinion and Experience

@Nanojoe
1649245433101.png

1649245498529.png

Personal opinion and Personal experience // Disclaimer

The scope for this article is to dive a little deeper and, in turn, hopefully help the hobbyist on how they should invest their hard-earned cash from a hobbyist perspective.

I do have hands on experience with both the Neptune Apex and CoralVue Hydros products, although my experience is weighted toward Apex products. I have worked with the Apex products for years as a service technician and have used them on residential, commercial, and public aquariums. My experience with Hydros is at home on my personal Red Sea Reefer 250.

Bear in mind that the following presentation includes my opinions. Please know that I encourage your opinions and open-minded comments. If I made a mistake anywhere, please let me know. This is honestly the first time I have ever written something like this - thank you for checking it out!

This article is organized into the following sections:

• Cost
  • Quality
  • Ease of use
  • Installation
  • Connectivity
  • Programming
  • Apps
  • Wrap up
Cost:

For the initial cost of the controller, Hydros comes out on top for all their packages offered. The initial cost can potentially be $100 difference or more. Neptune recently came out with the Neptune ApexEL which includes the “brain”, EB8 and probes which is all you need to have a controller with temperature and pH monitoring right out of the box at a price of $559.95. In contrast, the flagship Apex Controller System costs $879.95 (these are the current retail prices at Bulk Reef Supply) which also includes the “brain”, EB8, temperature probe, and pH probe plus ORP and Salinity probes. If you chose Apex as the controller you want, you can select the lower priced ApexEL and have the option of purchasing the additional probes and, sigh, more modules to do these tasks. Unfortunately, the EL has less plug-in ports than the full starter kit.

The Hydros Controller 4 comes in at $449.95 with the brain, WIFI strip, and probes. You essentially get the ApexEL setup at a cheaper price but no loss of plugins because this is their flagship controller package. The temperature and pH probe are included. The Hydros has many packages - even the Wave Engine kits for flow control with compatible wavemakers. Additionally, Hydros has their “lite” version of the controller, the Hydros 2 which comes in at a very affordable $199.95. Sadly, it won’t support a pH probe out of the box and I am unsure if it can become an add-on. As we learn in this hobby, its evident how important pH is in our reef systems. If I am wrong, please let me know if pH can be added on. Additionally, there is also the XS controller which offers (2) more sense ports in place of the drive ports.

The cost of extras has some variance between the two brands. Neptune offers a lot of modules and even a breakout box to further satisfy the user’s unique needs and wants. One option that encouraged me to move over to Hydros for my personal system was leak detection. With Apex you need a module or breakout box. The LDK (leak detection kit) powered by the FMM (fluid monitoring module) cost $149 retail, whereas the leak detection rope offered by Hydros is $40.

On a related note, once you purchase the Apex FMM to have leak detection, there are still more ports which will allow you to add-on more devices like flow monitoring or using their Auto top off kit (ATK). It does open upgradeability to your apex system that come with the cost of the FMM.

What I recommend is to put together a list of your additional wants and needs for your system and then consider the options that are offered by Apex and Hydros.

Quality:
This is a big one.

I’ve read about people suggesting that Neptune products can be compared to “cheap toys from China”. To be honest, I agree with this comment. For how much you are paying for these controllers, the Apex surely lacks in build quality and feel. It does not feel as though it would survive a good tumble off its mount from a wall. You should avoid installing the Apex anywhere near the water.
Hydros takes the cake here again. The brain is IP65-rated and will withstand splashing and corrosion, which is a big issue with saltwater and electronics/metal components. The Hydros is a sturdy piece of equipment that could handle some mismanagement.
The Wi-Fi strips for the Hydros feel pretty good considering they are only $40. You would assume that the strips would feel like cheap plastic off Amazon shipped overseas based on the price, but not with these units. They are lightweight and sturdy with a thick power cord. The WIFI strips did impress me. The $40 only gets you (4) controlled outlets with a 5th one being a series of USB outlets. Additionally, Hydros has recently unveiled their new XP8 power strip. At the time of writing, the XP8 was just released so I do not have additional thoughts or comments about this product.

The Neptune EB8 has more functional outlets for Aquabus connections, (2) 24VDC ports and (3) 1link ports also 24VDC. There is not a real comparison between the EB8 and the Hydros WIFI strip because the EB8 offers more functionality. I will say it’s one component I feel Neptune did a good job within terms of build quality. If used wisely and correctly it can last for some time. I’ve heard of single outlets failing and not turning on/off and the cost of repair nears the cost of a brand new one. Overall, I do like it and consider it a good piece of gear.

Comparing the two power strips would be apples to oranges. I wish I had some hands on with the XP8 by Hydros to fulfill this piece of the article, but as I said before I have no experience with it.

It does look cool though!

Installation:

Apex-

If you asked me this question maybe, 1 to 2 years ago, I would have complained to no end about setting up an Apex to the internet and Apex Fusion (Fusion is Neptune’s app for Apex control). However, now the WIFI units make it so easy via your phone’s Fusion App. You set up the brain up and download the app. Be near the brain of the Apex and the app connects to the Apex easily and in no time, you are connected. I found this out recently and I was very impressed. There are probably some extra easy steps, but I just can’t think of it as I only did it once. I do remember saying in my head “dang Neptune stepped it up”.

One complaint I have here is that the Wi-Fi brains are not labeled underneath to show where everything plugs in. I remember having to look up where my pH, ORP and Temperature probes plugged in. That may be different now or Neptune may have added a reference sheet.

Examples of a DIY controller board for each:

1649245570116.png

1649245601934.png

Hydros –

Another easy installation and setup. This one was a breeze to do and, just like the Apex, everything was quickly connected. The Coralvue Hydros app ran me through connection step by step and in less than 3 minutes I was connected and ready to go with my new controller. Zero complaints.

Hydros made it obvious where everything plugs in. Probes have their own spots and both sense ports and drive ports are clearly labeled. For someone who is new to controllers, trying to plug everything in to the right spot can create a lot of anxiety. Hydros hit the nail here and makes it another user-friendly task.

Connectivity:

For connectivity, both controllers have worked well for me so far. I am only about 2 months into having the Hydros and the only issue I have had is that once the Wi-Fi strip disconnected for no reason, but it was easy to reconnect.

The Apex controllers that I have worked with would disconnect because of internet outages and the only complaint is that they were occasionally reluctant to reconnect. Sometimes I had to manually restart the Wi-Fi connection via the Apex brain.

I found both controllers to be responsive when doing on/off tasks for equipment and there were no problems here.

One thing to note is that the Hydros will need a 2.4 GHz connection rather than a 5.0 GHz connection. It is a good thing that almost all new routers will include both 2.4 and 5.0 bands and you’ll have the available 2.4 GHz already. You should be able to connect to your homes dedicated Wi-Fi with no added steps.

Sometimes the router won’t band these connections and you will see them separated on your Wi-Fi___33 list.

Example:

Nanojoewifi 2.4GHz

Nanojoewifi 5.0Ghz
Notyourwifi (probably your conspiracist crazy neighbor)

*I do not think this is the case for the Apex. If I am wrong, please let me know and I can correct this and add it in the article. As I never had a run-in issue with Apex preferring different band connections.

Programming:

Ah, this is a fun one for me!

Choose an Apex if you want in depth control and have unique desires.

Choose Hydros if you want out-of -the-box programming and nearly plug-and-play characteristics.

Apex gives you the freedom of If/then statements which I really enjoy, and this is great to have full customization. With that capability comes a little bit of a learning curve. With that said, running multiple systems with Apex is actually pretty easy and well organized. I think we had up to 16 systems running off 1 fusion app and I do not recall any hiccups. Most of this setup was for basic monitoring and controlling, but it was easy to navigate everything to do the tasks needed.

The Hydros pretty much does it for you. There is no user input to do in depth coding so I can see some reefers missing out on some aspects, although not as much as you would think.

You set up the outlet for the kind of equipment that is plugged in and its all populated for you. You have the option of changing some commands for that particular piece of equipment.

In this respect, I think the Apex takes the cake, although some may disagree with me. My only thought on that is that those that disagree are hesitant to take the time and learn what it really takes to code the Apex correctly.

1649245672991.png

1649245695706.png

Apps:

There is not a whole lot to say for these controllers - I do like both of their respective apps and both companies did a great job making them user friendly. The apps are responsive to their brains when making changes and are quick to send alerts when something is wrong.

Additionally, both apps are intuitive and often have little guides to help you through programming your system correctly. If not, here at Reer2Reef I’m sure you can find your answer easily with a quick search. Also, both controllers have Facebook communities.

I think the Apex Fusion app is a little “cooler” and sleeker to be honest. It is nice to see the graphs on the same page as everything else and it is very streamlined and organized. Hydros offers some similar visuals and they do have “tiles” that make it clear which equipment you want to click on.

No complaints for either app. Chime in if you have any.

1649245911253.png

1649245939698.png

1649245997429.png

Wrap Up:

To summarize, I think both controller/monitors (however you see it) are great pieces of gear to have. They both provide some ease-of-mind when you are away from your aquarium. They each have their individual pros and cons and it is up to the end user to decide what they can and cannot live without. When it comes to our tank’s life support system, it is up to us to decide what is best for our tank’s inhabitants to live long and thriving lives inside the four glass walls.

At the end of the day, I do like both controllers. They both add value to your system and at this point, I don’t really see myself without one now that there more options at different price points. It is hard to say if prices will stay competitive in today’s world. I do hope to see another contender come in with ANOTHER controller… *Side eyes Ecotech* I think there are some very capable companies to bring something to ballpark and hit some homers for the reefing community. *stares at Ecotech*

Hopefully this drops some insight on the controllers for those who are doing their due diligence and research before hitting the checkout buttons at their favorite online retailers OR shopping and supporting at their local LFS (which I support in doing so very, very much).

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Again, a lot of this was some free writing and opinion. I had fun doing so.

Thanks,

Nanojoe

This thread is for the general discussion of the Article Neptune Apex and CoralVue Hydros: Personal Opinion and Experience. Please add to the discussion here.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice overview.

A couple of corrections:

1. When describing the Apex EnergyBar, you called it the EB8. That was the older generation unit with 8 outlets and 6 AquaBus ports. The one you're describing is the EB832 which adds the 1Link and DC24 ports. See my Apex Hardware Overview article for a complete list of every Apex module: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/apex-hardware-overview.775/

2. The Apex also requires a 2.4 GHz WiFi network. It is not capable of connecting to 5 GHz.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious, does the Hydros have a month-by-month controlling capability like the Apex does? if so, then I'll consider getting one for my coral spawning tank. Seasonal fluctuations are critically important for the coral to start making egg bundles in the autumn, and though managing everything myself will be possible, something to streamline it would be incredibly helpful.

4davegill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article. I wondered what differences you would find, but as i have used Neptune since the Aquacontroller days, I stuck with them through the years. Other than my salinity probe, I'm quite satisfied. I love that you can get your geeky, creative tech fix with Apex.

It seems I have chosen well, and until something else comes along, I am happy with Neptune.
Thank you for writing this!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy with my Hydros. It is simple to use.
I have read many threads on Apex over the years and everything it will do amazes me. I was sure I would never take the time to learn how though.
My system got big enough that some simple tasks had become real chores to do. For many things the Hydros has task oriented pages that are simple to set up and use. So I got one and let it do them for me.
I started with an ATO/AWC system using an Hydros XS, WIFI power bar, 3 Maxijet pumps and 4 water level sensors. This also allowed me to monitor the level and shut my skimmers down if the bucket is full. Those functions filled the XS up using all it's sensor ports.
I recently created a collective by adding an Hydros X4 to my XS. This gave me a diverse set of new capabilities that are programmed in the same way and the same place. It looks like all one machine.
So I now have a pH probe, ORP probe, temperature tracking and control my RODI fill for my ATO with automictic flushing of the membrane.
I am now building a kalk stirrer that will control two outlets of a second power bar that will turn off and on the feed pump and stirrer motor. It will be regulated by the pH probe.

I am not an App person. I program my Hydros through a web portal from My PC. I only use the phone app if I want to see the state of something in the fish room.
It is capable of controlling return pumps, flow pumps, lights and all sorts of things. Most of those were already controlled by something for me so I haven't bothered moving them to Hydros. I doubt I ever will.

Nanojoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice overview.

A couple of corrections:

1. When describing the Apex EnergyBar, you called it the EB8. That was the older generation unit with 8 outlets and 6 AquaBus ports. The one you're describing is the EB832 which adds the 1Link and DC24 ports. See my Apex Hardware Overview article for a complete list of every Apex module: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/apex-hardware-overview.775/

2. The Apex also requires a 2.4 GHz WiFi network. It is not capable of connecting to 5 GHz.
Thanks, yeah I knew about the EB832 name. I’ll have to edit that part.
good to know about the connection frequency. I never knew 100% since it always just connected anyway, whereas other devices I’ve had to manually connect to a 2.4.
Thanks for checking it out!

Nanojoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article. I wondered what differences you would find, but as i have used Neptune since the Aquacontroller days, I stuck with them through the years. Other than my salinity probe, I'm quite satisfied. I love that you can get your geeky, creative tech fix with Apex.

It seems I have chosen well, and until something else comes along, I am happy with Neptune.
Thank you for writing this!
Thank you for reading it! My first time writing up an article.
Apex can be a great tool. I do miss having one some days. Overall I am happy with the hydros as well.

Nanojoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy with my Hydros. It is simple to use.
I have read many threads on Apex over the years and everything it will do amazes me. I was sure I would never take the time to learn how though.
My system got big enough that some simple tasks had become real chores to do. For many things the Hydros has task oriented pages that are simple to set up and use. So I got one and let it do them for me.
I started with an ATO/AWC system using an Hydros XS, WIFI power bar, 3 Maxijet pumps and 4 water level sensors. This also allowed me to monitor the level and shut my skimmers down if the bucket is full. Those functions filled the XS up using all it's sensor ports.
I recently created a collective by adding an Hydros X4 to my XS. This gave me a diverse set of new capabilities that are programmed in the same way and the same place. It looks like all one machine.
So I now have a pH probe, ORP probe, temperature tracking and control my RODI fill for my ATO with automictic flushing of the membrane.
I am now building a kalk stirrer that will control two outlets of a second power bar that will turn off and on the feed pump and stirrer motor. It will be regulated by the pH probe.

I am not an App person. I program my Hydros through a web portal from My PC. I only use the phone app if I want to see the state of something in the fish room.
It is capable of controlling return pumps, flow pumps, lights and all sorts of things. Most of those were already controlled by something for me so I haven't bothered moving them to Hydros. I doubt I ever will.
Nice! Yes the simplicity is very nice right out of the box. It’s been an easy experience with hydros. The apex took some time with really learning it.
thanks for reading and responding!

Sharkbait13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune Apex and CoralVue Hydros: Personal Opinion and Experience

@Nanojoe
1649245433101.png

1649245498529.png

Personal opinion and Personal experience // Disclaimer

The scope for this article is to dive a little deeper and, in turn, hopefully help the hobbyist on how they should invest their hard-earned cash from a hobbyist perspective.

I do have hands on experience with both the Neptune Apex and CoralVue Hydros products, although my experience is weighted toward Apex products. I have worked with the Apex products for years as a service technician and have used them on residential, commercial, and public aquariums. My experience with Hydros is at home on my personal Red Sea Reefer 250.

Bear in mind that the following presentation includes my opinions. Please know that I encourage your opinions and open-minded comments. If I made a mistake anywhere, please let me know. This is honestly the first time I have ever written something like this - thank you for checking it out!

This article is organized into the following sections:

• Cost
  • Quality
  • Ease of use
  • Installation
  • Connectivity
  • Programming
  • Apps
  • Wrap up
Cost:

For the initial cost of the controller, Hydros comes out on top for all their packages offered. The initial cost can potentially be $100 difference or more. Neptune recently came out with the Neptune ApexEL which includes the “brain”, EB8 and probes which is all you need to have a controller with temperature and pH monitoring right out of the box at a price of $559.95. In contrast, the flagship Apex Controller System costs $879.95 (these are the current retail prices at Bulk Reef Supply) which also includes the “brain”, EB8, temperature probe, and pH probe plus ORP and Salinity probes. If you chose Apex as the controller you want, you can select the lower priced ApexEL and have the option of purchasing the additional probes and, sigh, more modules to do these tasks. Unfortunately, the EL has less plug-in ports than the full starter kit.

The Hydros Controller 4 comes in at $449.95 with the brain, WIFI strip, and probes. You essentially get the ApexEL setup at a cheaper price but no loss of plugins because this is their flagship controller package. The temperature and pH probe are included. The Hydros has many packages - even the Wave Engine kits for flow control with compatible wavemakers. Additionally, Hydros has their “lite” version of the controller, the Hydros 2 which comes in at a very affordable $199.95. Sadly, it won’t support a pH probe out of the box and I am unsure if it can become an add-on. As we learn in this hobby, its evident how important pH is in our reef systems. If I am wrong, please let me know if pH can be added on. Additionally, there is also the XS controller which offers (2) more sense ports in place of the drive ports.

The cost of extras has some variance between the two brands. Neptune offers a lot of modules and even a breakout box to further satisfy the user’s unique needs and wants. One option that encouraged me to move over to Hydros for my personal system was leak detection. With Apex you need a module or breakout box. The LDK (leak detection kit) powered by the FMM (fluid monitoring module) cost $149 retail, whereas the leak detection rope offered by Hydros is $40.

On a related note, once you purchase the Apex FMM to have leak detection, there are still more ports which will allow you to add-on more devices like flow monitoring or using their Auto top off kit (ATK). It does open upgradeability to your apex system that come with the cost of the FMM.

What I recommend is to put together a list of your additional wants and needs for your system and then consider the options that are offered by Apex and Hydros.

Quality:
This is a big one.

I’ve read about people suggesting that Neptune products can be compared to “cheap toys from China”. To be honest, I agree with this comment. For how much you are paying for these controllers, the Apex surely lacks in build quality and feel. It does not feel as though it would survive a good tumble off its mount from a wall. You should avoid installing the Apex anywhere near the water.
Hydros takes the cake here again. The brain is IP65-rated and will withstand splashing and corrosion, which is a big issue with saltwater and electronics/metal components. The Hydros is a sturdy piece of equipment that could handle some mismanagement.
The Wi-Fi strips for the Hydros feel pretty good considering they are only $40. You would assume that the strips would feel like cheap plastic off Amazon shipped overseas based on the price, but not with these units. They are lightweight and sturdy with a thick power cord. The WIFI strips did impress me. The $40 only gets you (4) controlled outlets with a 5th one being a series of USB outlets. Additionally, Hydros has recently unveiled their new XP8 power strip. At the time of writing, the XP8 was just released so I do not have additional thoughts or comments about this product.

The Neptune EB8 has more functional outlets for Aquabus connections, (2) 24VDC ports and (3) 1link ports also 24VDC. There is not a real comparison between the EB8 and the Hydros WIFI strip because the EB8 offers more functionality. I will say it’s one component I feel Neptune did a good job within terms of build quality. If used wisely and correctly it can last for some time. I’ve heard of single outlets failing and not turning on/off and the cost of repair nears the cost of a brand new one. Overall, I do like it and consider it a good piece of gear.

Comparing the two power strips would be apples to oranges. I wish I had some hands on with the XP8 by Hydros to fulfill this piece of the article, but as I said before I have no experience with it.

It does look cool though!

Installation:

Apex-

If you asked me this question maybe, 1 to 2 years ago, I would have complained to no end about setting up an Apex to the internet and Apex Fusion (Fusion is Neptune’s app for Apex control). However, now the WIFI units make it so easy via your phone’s Fusion App. You set up the brain up and download the app. Be near the brain of the Apex and the app connects to the Apex easily and in no time, you are connected. I found this out recently and I was very impressed. There are probably some extra easy steps, but I just can’t think of it as I only did it once. I do remember saying in my head “dang Neptune stepped it up”.

One complaint I have here is that the Wi-Fi brains are not labeled underneath to show where everything plugs in. I remember having to look up where my pH, ORP and Temperature probes plugged in. That may be different now or Neptune may have added a reference sheet.

Examples of a DIY controller board for each:

1649245570116.png

1649245601934.png

Hydros –

Another easy installation and setup. This one was a breeze to do and, just like the Apex, everything was quickly connected. The Coralvue Hydros app ran me through connection step by step and in less than 3 minutes I was connected and ready to go with my new controller. Zero complaints.

Hydros made it obvious where everything plugs in. Probes have their own spots and both sense ports and drive ports are clearly labeled. For someone who is new to controllers, trying to plug everything in to the right spot can create a lot of anxiety. Hydros hit the nail here and makes it another user-friendly task.

Connectivity:

For connectivity, both controllers have worked well for me so far. I am only about 2 months into having the Hydros and the only issue I have had is that once the Wi-Fi strip disconnected for no reason, but it was easy to reconnect.

The Apex controllers that I have worked with would disconnect because of internet outages and the only complaint is that they were occasionally reluctant to reconnect. Sometimes I had to manually restart the Wi-Fi connection via the Apex brain.

I found both controllers to be responsive when doing on/off tasks for equipment and there were no problems here.

One thing to note is that the Hydros will need a 2.4 GHz connection rather than a 5.0 GHz connection. It is a good thing that almost all new routers will include both 2.4 and 5.0 bands and you’ll have the available 2.4 GHz already. You should be able to connect to your homes dedicated Wi-Fi with no added steps.

Sometimes the router won’t band these connections and you will see them separated on your Wi-Fi___33 list.

Example:

Nanojoewifi 2.4GHz

Nanojoewifi 5.0Ghz
Notyourwifi (probably your conspiracist crazy neighbor)

*I do not think this is the case for the Apex. If I am wrong, please let me know and I can correct this and add it in the article. As I never had a run-in issue with Apex preferring different band connections.

Programming:

Ah, this is a fun one for me!

Choose an Apex if you want in depth control and have unique desires.

Choose Hydros if you want out-of -the-box programming and nearly plug-and-play characteristics.

Apex gives you the freedom of If/then statements which I really enjoy, and this is great to have full customization. With that capability comes a little bit of a learning curve. With that said, running multiple systems with Apex is actually pretty easy and well organized. I think we had up to 16 systems running off 1 fusion app and I do not recall any hiccups. Most of this setup was for basic monitoring and controlling, but it was easy to navigate everything to do the tasks needed.

The Hydros pretty much does it for you. There is no user input to do in depth coding so I can see some reefers missing out on some aspects, although not as much as you would think.

You set up the outlet for the kind of equipment that is plugged in and its all populated for you. You have the option of changing some commands for that particular piece of equipment.

In this respect, I think the Apex takes the cake, although some may disagree with me. My only thought on that is that those that disagree are hesitant to take the time and learn what it really takes to code the Apex correctly.

1649245672991.png

1649245695706.png

Apps:

There is not a whole lot to say for these controllers - I do like both of their respective apps and both companies did a great job making them user friendly. The apps are responsive to their brains when making changes and are quick to send alerts when something is wrong.

Additionally, both apps are intuitive and often have little guides to help you through programming your system correctly. If not, here at Reer2Reef I’m sure you can find your answer easily with a quick search. Also, both controllers have Facebook communities.

I think the Apex Fusion app is a little “cooler” and sleeker to be honest. It is nice to see the graphs on the same page as everything else and it is very streamlined and organized. Hydros offers some similar visuals and they do have “tiles” that make it clear which equipment you want to click on.

No complaints for either app. Chime in if you have any.

1649245911253.png

1649245939698.png

1649245997429.png

Wrap Up:

To summarize, I think both controller/monitors (however you see it) are great pieces of gear to have. They both provide some ease-of-mind when you are away from your aquarium. They each have their individual pros and cons and it is up to the end user to decide what they can and cannot live without. When it comes to our tank’s life support system, it is up to us to decide what is best for our tank’s inhabitants to live long and thriving lives inside the four glass walls.

At the end of the day, I do like both controllers. They both add value to your system and at this point, I don’t really see myself without one now that there more options at different price points. It is hard to say if prices will stay competitive in today’s world. I do hope to see another contender come in with ANOTHER controller… *Side eyes Ecotech* I think there are some very capable companies to bring something to ballpark and hit some homers for the reefing community. *stares at Ecotech*

Hopefully this drops some insight on the controllers for those who are doing their due diligence and research before hitting the checkout buttons at their favorite online retailers OR shopping and supporting at their local LFS (which I support in doing so very, very much).

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Again, a lot of this was some free writing and opinion. I had fun doing so.

Thanks,

Nanojoe

This thread is for the general discussion of the Article Neptune Apex and CoralVue Hydros: Personal Opinion and Experience. Please add to the discussion here.
This was a god send for me, I am stuck between the apex and hydros and I am really struggling with making a choice!

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say Apex and Hydros is like Apple and Android. If you really like to dig deep into programming, Apex is the best. I have so many different programs running on Apex for my 200 gal reef. I couldn't live without it. If you decide to go with Apex, make sure you read through their forum and understand how the system work. I am in the IT field, so programming is a piece of cake for me.

Sharkbait13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say Apex and Hydros is like Apple and Android. If you really like to dig deep into programming, Apex is the best. I have so many different programs running on Apex for my 200 gal reef. I couldn't live without it. If you decide to go with Apex, make sure you read through their forum and understand how the system work. I am in the IT field, so programming is a piece of cake for me.
Yeah I am a broke college student, I don’t mind the idea of programming I just don’t have much experience with it

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydros XP8 is leaps and bounds put to better use over the hydros wifi strip as far as controlling more critical to your tank equipment as it has a hard wired connection so you do not have to worry about losing connection if your wifi/internet goes out. Has 8 controllable 120v plugs and can be connected to all of the other hydros equipment, wave engines, control x4, x2, etc to create your collective. As for the hydros wi-fi strip, that’s best used for things like cabinet lights, auto-feeders, fans, etc. things not as critical to your tank in case of losing connection. It’s been extremely easy set up wise and maneuvering through the app for me. Took me a couple tries to get it to all connect to my wifi but haven’t had any issues since it’s been connected.
And I’ve found the customer service whenever you have questions on the products, or set up, or anything hydros related has been incredible. Very friendly, and available 7 days a week day or night.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curiuis why reef-pi and all of it's capabilities are rarely considered in these "Controller Threads".. is it the fact that it it is not "attractive"? I understand the DYI aspect of it.. but there are kits you can buy.. and programing wise... APEX CoralVue etc..they are all not easy.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do hope to see another contender come in with ANOTHER controller… *Side eyes Ecotech* I think there are some very capable companies to bring something to ballpark and hit some homers for the reefing community. *stares at Ecotech*
Ecotech and Neptune are owned by the same company (either Bertram Capital or BRS) I think. I do not think Ecotech will come out with a new controller because it would compete with the Apex controller. However, I could be wrong.

Nanojoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech and Neptune are owned by the same company (either Bertram Capital or BRS) I think. I do not think Ecotech will come out with a new controller because it would compete with the Apex controller. However, I could be wrong.
Yes. There were rumors (unsure of the credibility) that they may be working on one. I think it would have been really cool to see them pump one out.

Nanojoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curiuis why reef-pi and all of it's capabilities are rarely considered in these "Controller Threads".. is it the fact that it it is not "attractive"? I understand the DYI aspect of it.. but there are kits you can buy.. and programing wise... APEX CoralVue etc..they are all not easy.
Yeah I’m just not familiar with the reef pi. I feel as though it would be more technical for the end user typical skill set to really build / program one.

Nanojoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydros XP8 is leaps and bounds put to better use over the hydros wifi strip as far as controlling more critical to your tank equipment as it has a hard wired connection so you do not have to worry about losing connection if your wifi/internet goes out. Has 8 controllable 120v plugs and can be connected to all of the other hydros equipment, wave engines, control x4, x2, etc to create your collective. As for the hydros wi-fi strip, that’s best used for things like cabinet lights, auto-feeders, fans, etc. things not as critical to your tank in case of losing connection. It’s been extremely easy set up wise and maneuvering through the app for me. Took me a couple tries to get it to all connect to my wifi but haven’t had any issues since it’s been connected.
And I’ve found the customer service whenever you have questions on the products, or set up, or anything hydros related has been incredible. Very friendly, and available 7 days a week day or night.
I think I need to buy an XP8! I do like the Wifi strips, but your point is pretty solid about the critical equipment. Thanks

Nanojoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for checking out the write up. Apex made life so much easier at the public aquarium. With that volume of tanks and programming I feel as though the hydros would have been a little more difficult to manage things. Could be wrong as I never used hydros on that scale. Apex actually saved aquatic lives at some points.

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I need to buy an XP8! I do like the Wifi strips, but your point is pretty solid about the critical equipment. Thanks
Definitely! The XP8 really changed the game in my opinion for the entire hydros line. I myself have the control x4 and the wifi strip and the XP8. I’ll be buying the new wave engine v2 that was just released in the last month or two to run 4 reef octopus Octo pulse 4’s off of. It will eliminate the need for the clunky power bricks and just get wired straight to the wave engine and can set different wave modes and schedules for all 4 through the wave engine hydros app. Very excited to see what hydros releases next

Back