Neptune Breakout Box - Fishing for DIY!

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I just got a Neptune breakout box and a switch to turn the sump light on when I open the door. I was wondering what other fantastic things people use the breakout box for!

If you could please drop a DIY you've done with your breakout box, if you could share the code used and pictures they always speak a thousand words :)

Thanks for sharing!

giphy.gif

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there are the obvious ones, such as putting a float valve in your ATO container (if applicable) and having it e-mail you a day before it runs dry.

In this case, I simply made a virtual outlet called RefillATO:
Set OFF
If Sw3 OPEN Then ON

Then, under my e-mail alarms, I simply have this line of code
If Output RefillATO = ON Then ON
Defer 001:00 Then ON

You can use a similar setup for alerts for any dosing containers or have float valves if the level in your sump is getting too low, too high, etc. I also have one to alert me whenever my saltwater mixing container is running low and will need to be refilled.

The other quick and easy project you might enjoy is to set up some analog switches for common tasks you might do.

For example, I have a project box on my stand where I can hit a switch and quickly kill all the pumps in the tank. This was primarily designed for cases where there is an emergency and I don't want to waste time with messing with apex fusion, but I will also use this if I need to take a still picture of a coral or any situations where I need to go into the tank and don't want any flow.

Same idea, where I have a virtual outlet called NoPumps:
Set OFF
If Sw2 OPEN Then ON

Then for each pump (e.g. skimmer), I simply insert this line:
If Output nopumps = ON Then OFF

I also use the same analog switches to turn off my white LEDs and T5s, so I can easily have only actinics showing if I have someone over and want to show the corals only under actinic.

Lastly, if you have available channels, you can easily make an ATO with an optical sensor or buy sensors to make a cheap LDK sensor without needing to buy the module/Apex sensors.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BOB monitors my Avast Marine skimmate locker to turn off my skimmer and send me an alert when full, and monitors a series of float switches in my sump:

1589759817512.png

(I wrote about using one of these floats to verify my ATK optical sensor readings)

I also use a custom breakout box made by Harry Singer plugged into a different I/O port to activate feedings and maintenance tasks:

68501564_10217127640096332_6653550807096492032_o.jpg

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that idea for turning on the light when you open the door. Was just thinking I should do the same, then remembered I have four doors. lol.

That custom break-out box is pretty cool.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there are the obvious ones, such as putting a float valve in your ATO container (if applicable) and having it e-mail you a day before it runs dry.

In this case, I simply made a virtual outlet called RefillATO:
Set OFF
If Sw3 OPEN Then ON

Then, under my e-mail alarms, I simply have this line of code
If Output RefillATO = ON Then ON
Defer 001:00 Then ON

You can use a similar setup for alerts for any dosing containers or have float valves if the level in your sump is getting too low, too high, etc. I also have one to alert me whenever my saltwater mixing container is running low and will need to be refilled.

The other quick and easy project you might enjoy is to set up some analog switches for common tasks you might do.

For example, I have a project box on my stand where I can hit a switch and quickly kill all the pumps in the tank. This was primarily designed for cases where there is an emergency and I don't want to waste time with messing with apex fusion, but I will also use this if I need to take a still picture of a coral or any situations where I need to go into the tank and don't want any flow.

Same idea, where I have a virtual outlet called NoPumps:
Set OFF
If Sw2 OPEN Then ON

Then for each pump (e.g. skimmer), I simply insert this line:
If Output nopumps = ON Then OFF

I also use the same analog switches to turn off my white LEDs and T5s, so I can easily have only actinics showing if I have someone over and want to show the corals only under actinic.

Lastly, if you have available channels, you can easily make an ATO with an optical sensor or buy sensors to make a cheap LDK sensor without needing to buy the module/Apex sensors.

@andrewey I like all of these ideas! I have all of the equipment on hand to get this project going. I'll comment if I run into any issues. I appreciate the detailed feedback!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, my best piece of advice is not to overlook all the fun you get to have picking out your switches! Want a switch that makes you feel like you're launching a missile? Want to call your actinics alien lights? Feel free to browse through ebay/Alixexpress for all the fun you can have tricking out your tank :)
1594139338283.png

1594139349952.png

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BOB monitors my Avast Marine skimmate locker to turn off my skimmer and send me an alert when full, and monitors a series of float switches in my sump:

1589759817512.png

(I wrote about using one of these floats to verify my ATK optical sensor readings)

I also use a custom breakout box made by Harry Singer plugged into a different I/O port to activate feedings and maintenance tasks:

68501564_10217127640096332_6653550807096492032_o.jpg
Reading through your other thread. I think my greatest fear in this hobby comes from water either being too high or too low or all over the floor. I've been trying to work out in my head what the best way to mark water lines and give alerts when something is amiss you post just answered all those questions.

I also like the Harry Singer breakout... Going to do more research on that. I can do basic code command so I'm interested to see how "advanced" you need to be to get it setup.

Thank you for the response and help! I'll be implementing some of these changes to the tank in the coming month.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, my best piece of advice is not to overlook all the fun you get to have picking out your switches! Want a switch that makes you feel like you're launching a missile? Want to call your actinics alien lights? Feel free to browse through ebay/Alixexpress for all the fun you can have tricking out your tank :)
1594139338283.png

1594139349952.png
Haha, I can't wait to see my wife's face when these things start showing up at the house and I'm cutting out parts of our drywall to install these things :) lol ... "Honey, what does this switch do?" mushroom cloud in tank :)

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that idea for turning on the light when you open the door. Was just thinking I should do the same, then remembered I have four doors. lol.

That custom break-out box is pretty cool.
i use magnetic reed switches on two doors wired the two normaly open contacs in parallel, that way when either door is open the light turns on. you can easily wire 4 doors the same way.
that way you use only one break out box switch for all 4 doors.
i also have a float switch in my over flow chamber, if a drain line gets pluged it will shut down my return pump before the tank over flows onto the floor. turns back on 30 seconds after the level returns to normal.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
80CB882D-B334-434F-913C-D4E3B8B1DC03.jpeg

Made my own box to do many things. Red toggle shuts the system down for water change, white toggle turns stand lights on, green button is feed mode with a ten minute timer, blue is feed mode with 20 minute timer and shuts off powerheads, white button turns on my hurricane program on my powerheads via Hydros wave engine and red button shuts off skimmer for maintenance.

KeystoneReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Made my own box to do many things. Red toggle shuts the system down for water change, white toggle turns stand lights on, green button is feed mode with a ten minute timer, blue is feed mode with 20 minute timer and shuts off powerheads, white button turns on my hurricane program on my powerheads via Hydros wave engine and red button shuts off skimmer for maintenance.
Bump. Hey did you happen to get the lights on the buttons to switch off when pressed? Trying to figure that out and thing I might have to use DPST switches but ...... there isn’t much info out there currently

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump. Hey did you happen to get the lights on the buttons to switch off when pressed? Trying to figure that out and thing I might have to use DPST switches but ...... there isn’t much info out there currently
Not with these particular buttons. They are on or off (power unplugged). I think Harry from Harry's aquatics found some led's that will do that, but can't say for sure? As long as the power doesn't pass through the signal path, you'll be fine, because you don't want power going into the apex or module it's connected to.

milonedp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@minus9 What did you use for the housing? I can find all the switches but not good housings.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 9.1%
Back