Neptune Cor-15 pump in a reef octo 15a sump

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers!! I want to upgrade my return pump to a Neptune cor-15 I looked up the dimensions of my sump and it does not look it will fit :confused: I heard that pump can be mounted externally too. My Return Pump Section: 4.5"L x 6.5"W and the pump is 3.875" W x 4.875" H x 6.250" L This is the data I collected from BRS I attached a picture of my sump hoping that will help.

20201018_135933.jpg

christopher.lauwers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
confused...

are you asking if the pump will fit? or can you run it externally?

and what size tank is this going on?

christopher.lauwers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would say if you got them from BRS its accurate. In order to mount it external you would have to drill... and then add a bulk head. I guess you could make some loop plumbing to get it into the sump but I think that would get messy.

Another thought... are you going to run a manifold at some point? The Cor 15 seems like a lot of overkill for a 50 cube? Totally get you can turn it down but then whats the point IMO. I think you can get something a lot cheaper that will be smaller and fit right in the sump.

oh and make sure to add a check value ;)

OP
OP
Roytrolls247

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say if you got them from BRS its accurate. In order to mount it external you would have to drill... and then add a bulk head. I guess you could make some loop plumbing to get it into the sump but I think that would get messy.

Another thought... are you going to run a manifold at some point? The Cor 15 seems like a lot of overkill for a 50 cube? Totally get you can turn it down but then whats the point IMO. I think you can get something a lot cheaper that will be smaller and fit right in the sump.

I plan on running a manifold later on and I plan on plumbing in a frag tank next to this DT tank later on I don't mind drilling the sump and adding a bulk head that looks like the route I have to take with space in the stand and the size of my return chamber. Plus that will give me more space to for a manifold.

The main reason I want to use the Cor-15 is because of its safety features and controllability with the APEX.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well if the pump is too big he will just have to upgrade the tank size a 300 is nice, or add a couple of frag tanks. :p

OP
OP
Roytrolls247

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing more research my return pump area is rectangular like the picture I uploaded. I was thinking that my return area was a square because the entire sump is square. If that's the case it should fit..

With this new research it looks like it will fit

• Return Pump Section: 4.5"L x 6.5"W
Pump Dimensions - 3.875" W x 4.875" H x 6.250" L

download.png

Last edited:

christopher.lauwers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I plan on running a manifold later on and I plan on plumbing in a frag tank next to this DT tank later on
Ah makes sense then. Then the 15 might be the way to go. But really it might make more sense to get a smaller pump now to get you by then get the 15 once you get the DT going. I assume you will have a bigger sump at that point. Or mount it externally.
Well if the pump is too big he will just have to upgrade the tank size a 300 is nice, or add a couple of frag tanks. :p
I like your thinking :)

OP
OP
Roytrolls247

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah makes sense then. Then the 15 might be the way to go. But really it might make more sense to get a smaller pump now to get you by then get the 15 once you get the DT going. I assume you will have a bigger sump at that point. Or mount it externally.

I like your thinking :)
Thank you for all of the help turns out it will fit in my return chamber!!! So I can plumb it with my current piping.. I will post pics when it is all done!!

BTW The BRS measurements were inaccurate :oops:

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you mentioned "controllability with Apex" but, the COR-15 will not work in stand alone mode like the COR-20. Just mentioning as you never stated if you already had an Apex or not. Just a heads up.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will like this pump. I've had mine for a year+. I run it external and it is dead silent. Haven't cleaned it once yet as the temperature and wattage has been quite steady.

I did have an incident where it was water starved and it saved itself by shutting down. IIRC it actually tries to restart at some frequency, but the notifications had me scrambling before it could try.

OP
OP
Roytrolls247

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will like this pump. I've had mine for a year+. I run it external and it is dead silent. Haven't cleaned it once yet as the temperature and wattage has been quite steady.

I did have an incident where it was water starved and it saved itself by shutting down. IIRC it actually tries to restart at some frequency, but the notifications had me scrambling before it could try.
That is the main reason I want this pump! Plus I am already running APEX why not start a Neptune Eco system :cool:

OP
OP
Roytrolls247

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the research paid off I went and picked up the pump last night and got it all Plumbed took me roughly 1hr to update the firmware and set it up in APEX the hardest part was getting the Flow percentage right.

20201020_183011.jpg 20201020_183115.jpg 20201020_184309.jpg

NatureHold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you went ahead and purchased it. I think you've already figured it out, but figuring out the flow rate was a pain in the butt for me as well. I put my cor15 in a 60 gallon DT with a 20 gallon sump. Had to turn the thing wayyyyy down to like 14% power or it would empty the return section of my sump faster than the drain pipe could supply water, even fully open. Flow meters made it a bit easier for me.

OP
OP
Roytrolls247

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you went ahead and purchased it. I think you've already figured it out, but figuring out the flow rate was a pain in the butt for me as well. I put my cor15 in a 60 gallon DT with a 20 gallon sump. Had to turn the thing wayyyyy down to like 14% power or it would empty the return section of my sump faster than the drain pipe could supply water, even fully open. Flow meters made it a bit easier for me.
EXACTLY!! I am running mine at 11% flow rate right now.. Do you have any tips to sync my skimmer to shut off when the pump is off? As you know the cor-15 does not use an outlet like my original return pump so I was tinkering with it until about 11:00pm then gave up and went to bed lol

Last edited:

NatureHold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EXACTLY!! I am running mine at 11% flow rate right now.. Do you have any tips to sync my skimmer to shut off when the pump is off? As you know the cor-15 does not use an outlet like my original return pump so I was tinkering with it until about 11:00pm then gave up the went to bed lol

You just need to write a command in your user interface to say when "pump" (your pump name) is OFF, then "skimmer" (name of your skimmer in apex" OFF.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back