Neptune EB8 Energy Bar - I have two outlets stuck in the ON position

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Neptune EB8 Energy Bar (that are probably 8-10yrs old) where outlet #s 2 & 3 are stuck in the ON position.

Meaning any attempt to control them by turning them OFF via Apex, fails. They just stay ON if the slider in Apex is slid to OFF

Easy fix?

I scoured YouTube for a DIY vid and found nothing....

Again these EB8s are from like 2012, I think.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a Neptune EB8 Energy Bar (that are probably 8-10yrs old) where outlet #s 2 & 3 are stuck in the ON position.

Meaning any attempt to control them by turning them OFF via Apex, fails. They just stay ON if the slider in Apex is on OFF

Easy fix?

I scoured YouTube for a DIY vid and found nothing....

Again these EB8s are fro like 2012, I think.

@SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try updating the EB8 software, even if it’s already running the latest version. Sometimes re-applying the software can correct unexplained problems.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thought: What is currently plugged into those outputs? Outputs 1-3 and 5-7 are solid-state, while Ouputs 4 and 8 are relay controlled. The solid-state outputs cannot reliably turn off if the devices plugged in have a very low power draw, such as a small dosing pump or LED cabinet lights. Those devices should be plugged into Outputs 4 and 8 which can reliably operate devices that have very low power draw.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef

Updated my firmware thru the utility program on my PC.

Apex System restarted after about a 10sec shutdown.

Outlets are still stuck ON.

I reeeeeeally don't want to hard reboot the system where it wipes out everything back to Factory default. But willing if all avenues lead to this

Could this be a hardware issue inside the EB with the particular outlets? Is hardware issues repairable?

Given the age of the EB8, Neptune will just want to resell me smthg....looks like a replacement costs around $200

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef

Updated my firmware thru the utility program on my PC.

Apex System restarted after about a 10sec shutdown.

Outlets are still stuck ON.

I reeeeeeally don't want to hard reboot the system where it wipes out everything back to Factory default. But willing if all avenues lead to this

Could this be a hardware issue inside the EB with the particular outlets? Is hardware issues repairable?

Given the age of the EB8, Neptune will just want to resell me smthg....looks like a replacement costs around $200
It sounds like you updated the Apex base unit firmware (which causes the reboot), but did you do the actual step of updating the EB8's software? This is done from the Module Configuration screen:
Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 10.03.56 AM.png

Also, did you see my comment above about what items are plugged into those outputs? Low power draw devices are a known problem on the EB8.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This:

I repaired one of my EB8's by following this thread a few years ago. Same issues as you had but different outlets. Still working like a champ, I'd suggest that or pick up a used one.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you updated the Apex base unit firmware (which causes the reboot), but did you do the actual step of updating the EB8's software? This is done from the Module Configuration screen:
Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 10.03.56 AM.png

Also, did you see my comment above about what items are plugged into those outputs? Low power draw devices are a known problem on the EB8.
Did everything per the illustration. not sure if anything happened bc moments after hitting the SUBMIT MODULE CHANGE it really didn't do anything.

Does this go out to the Internet and upload firmware into the EB8?

It never asked fir a file or anything.

Anyway. Nothing has changed. Outlets still stuck ON

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This:

I repaired one of my EB8's by following this thread a few years ago. Same issues as you had but different outlets. Still working like a champ, I'd suggest that or pick up a used one.
Anytime there's a soldering iron, a multimeter and a magnifying glass...

Im Out Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

Bc all I'll do is waste 4hrs of my time, burn and blister two fingers.... and cook the whole freakin board

I ain't got da skills to be removing soldered chips on a board under magnification

If by a miracle I did solder them, my house would probably burn down when I wasn't there due to flying sparks down the road

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime there's a soldering iron, a multimeter and a magnifying glass...

Im Out Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

Bc all I'll do is waste 4hrs of my time, burn and blister two fingers.... and cook the whole freakin board

I ain't got da skills to be removing soldered chips on a board under magnification

If by a miracle I did solder them, my house would probably burn down when I wasn't there due to flying sparks down the road

I see a used EB8 in your future

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say find a used one or just eat the cost to replace it. Is it possible to fix? Probably...is it worth your headaches?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back