Neptune Sky, not happy at all!

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
36 long x 20 w x 20 h. Sky is placed directly in the middle with 10 1/2 inches from end of sky to the glass. Mounted on an XR arm at 9 inch high off the water.
I agree, maybe raising the light will give you a better spread. Do you have a Par meter? If will help you when converting from a hybrid to strictly LED's.

Also agree with higher. I have a 36x22x24 and was not happy with the coverage at 9". I found 12" with a slight backward tilt to be ideal. The tilt not only reduces forward glare but also helps to illuminate the aquascape more uniformly. Par measurement comparison here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/its-here-sky.849993/

KarlsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting to the point of going back for sure. May try to work the sky in-between the t5 setup.

In some aspects, that may be absolutely true. I would expect this thing to be MUCH brighter than it currently is at 60% intensity. A single Xr15 G4 running ab+ at 60% looks much better!

36 long x 20 w x 20 h. Sky is placed directly in the middle with 10 1/2 inches from end of sky to the glass. Mounted on an XR arm at 9 inch high off the water.
I don't think they claimed the light would do a 36 long from 9 inch above the water, of course the light would need to be higher up to reach the maximum especially as 9 inches is actually pretty low to the water.
I'd hope you can get the light to suit your tank tho

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WE are here to help @anygiven60 , so lets help him/her in dialing in this light. Though the reefing community has come along way in dialing in LED lights, we still have a lot to learn.

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes no sense One needs to raise it higher to get the spread And raise the intensity not worth it but that’s just my opinion some would say different

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes no sense One needs to raise it higher to get the spread And raise the intensity not worth it but that’s just my opinion some would say different

It sort of does make sense. Before one swaps lights there should be a PAR measurement on what is known and another measurement at the same sample points after the swap. Now you know if there is too much light or too little based on the mounting height. This isn't unique to Neptune or Ecotech or a knock off brand. You have something in place and are swapping you need to know. That is all there is to it.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED's are over priced garbage! Another victim of hype. T5's here and couldn't be happier! :p Gold standard for a reason kids...
I hate to break it to you, but LEDs have been the gold standard for almost a decade. I love T5s, but LEDs are not hype and are not garbage. Personally I wouldn’t buy a $900 light from a company without a proven track record of producing quality, time-tested lights, but I also think it’s absurd to expect a single LED array to have the same spread over a 3’ tank as a T5 fixture with two XR15s (especially at 9” over the tank).

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just physics. There is a certain amount of total light. If you raise it to distribute the light, there will be less light in each small area, but the whole amount of light is the same.

I checked 9", 12" and 15". At 12" I found the best match for my particular tank setup. For a smaller tank, larger tank with multiple lights, etc it will be different. For example, in my tank I have a large branching SPS wall which shadows a monti. I wanted to raise the light to get better coverage there.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
but I also think it’s absurd to expect a single LED array to have the same spread over a 3’ tank as a T5 fixture with two XR15s (especially at 9” over the tank).
But it does... The only spots that were slightly lower on my par map were the top left and right of the tank. (going from a similar hybrid setup)

Personally I wouldn’t buy a $900 light from a company without a proven track record of producing quality, time-tested lights

a $900 light priced similar to other 200W high end fixtures from a company without a proven track record of producing quality, time-tested lights complex saltwater electronics.

I was surprised that they did not bump the price after the Radion price increase.

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to break it to you, but LEDs have been the gold standard for almost a decade. I love T5s, but LEDs are not hype and are not garbage. Personally I wouldn’t buy a $900 light from a company without a proven track record of producing quality, time-tested lights, but I also think it’s absurd to expect a single LED array to have the same spread over a 3’ tank as a T5 fixture with two XR15s (especially at
1628371847275.png
IMG_1211.JPG

Your tank and LED's. My tank and T5's... I'll stick with the sub standard lighting. Thanks for bringing me up to speed.

OP
OP
A

anygiven60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also agree with higher. I have a 36x22x24 and was not happy with the coverage at 9". I found 12" with a slight backward tilt to be ideal. The tilt not only reduces forward glare but also helps to illuminate the aquascape more uniformly. Par measurement comparison here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/its-here-sky.849993/
Those par numbers I would not mind at all and not too far off from what I had originally from the old light setup, just slightly higher on the high spots. Any tips on hanging it from the ceiling?

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Any tips on hanging it from the ceiling?
I did not have studs in the right place, so I just went with drywall anchors.

I used these. You just tap it in then use a phillips to screw it in. My old fixture weighed alot more and never had a problem.

For tilting the light, just get it nice and level, loosen the bottom screw of the Y connector part and pull a little slack towards the front. Also, make sure to secure the cord to the back wall somehow (or it ill pull the back of the light down). A command hook works well for that

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1628371847275.png
IMG_1211.JPG

Your tank and LED's. My tank and T5's... I'll stick with the sub standard lighting. Thanks for bringing me up to speed.
Not my tank. And like I said, I love T5’s, never said they were substandard, but they are no longer the gold standard (and I’m not sure that they ever were, I’d argue it went from halides to LEDs). I don’t really understand why you’re so defensive, if you like T5s, knock yourself out, but there are reasons they’re no longer as popular as they once were.

Also, if that’s the tank I thinking it is, it’s not really a fair representation of what LEDs look like or what they can do, I can post a picture of a tank with budget T5s and claim it’s representative of what T5s look like, too, but I try not to be dishonest (there’s nothing wrong with budget LEDs or T5s, but acting like a budget light is representative of what that type of light looks like is dishonest).

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Your tank and LED's. My tank and T5's... I'll stick with the sub standard lighting.
Your tank looks great. I don't think it is an either/ or thing. Just have to pick the right solution to fit the budget, par, coverage, preferences of the reefer. There is no universal gold standard for every tank, in every environment, for every coral/ chemistry mix and for everyone.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it does... The only spots that were slightly lower on my par map were the top left and right of the tank. (going from a similar hybrid setup)

a $900 light priced similar to other 200W high end fixtures from a company without a proven track record of producing quality, time-tested lights complex saltwater electronics.

I was surprised that they did not bump the price after the Radion price increase.
Yes, they have a good track record when it comes to other products in the hobby. They do not have a proven track record when it comes to lighting, they just don’t. And I’m not saying the light is bad, I’m just saying that I wouldn’t buy a light that is a company’s first attempt at lighting at that price point. In a year or two if I am in the market and the reviews are great (after people have been using them in the real world), I would consider it.

OP
OP
A

anygiven60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not have studs in the right place, so I just went with drywall anchors.

I used these. You just tap it in then use a phillips to screw it in. My old fixture weighed alot more and never had a problem.

For tilting the light, just get it nice and level, loosen the bottom screw of the Y connector part and pull a little slack towards the front. Also, make sure to secure the cord to the back wall somehow (or it ill pull the back of the light down). A command hook works well for that
Thanks. Give it a go and see what happens. Naturally my ceiling is at a 45 right above the tank but dont see any issues with the weight the light is

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
ceiling is at a 45 right above the tank
If the ceiling part of their kit is like others, there is a groove that allows it to compensate for that ceiling pitch.

They do not have a proven track record when it comes to lighting, they just don’t.
100% agree

I’m just saying that I wouldn’t buy a light that is a company’s first attempt at lighting at that price point.
Early adoption is all about risk tolerance. Not just financial, but the tank health too. Who knows, maybe it'll die in a month.

The price is just what it is. Right in line with 200W solutions. The higher price allows them more margin for R&D costs and the ability to incorporate more features (ex. locking power connector, included aquabus Y cable, 2 color badges, large number preset spectrums, etc). Glad this ended up not being a straight up rebadge like the other light they put out ;)

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you as a consumer feel you are getting a great deal for 20 cent LED's made in China, a two dollar cooling fan, and a five dollar heat sink, an app for your phone, and a 30 cent piece of plastic to diffuse the pin point light
Sorry, but that is just not true.. The EOD margin on a $900 light by a larger company (ecotech, neptune, etc) is likely 10-20% with a market size of a few thousand units at best. What is described is very close to the $200 lights on amazon. I am guessing R&D payoff would be 2-3 years.

New hobbyist spend all their money on lights and most don't even have proper test kits to maintain basic water chemistry. It's crazy! So yes, I love T5's.

I am new, about 2 years in. The light is front and center, right at the top of the tank. It can make things grow or die. It can make them look good or bad.

I am glad you like your T5. They just are not for everyone and that is OK.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am guessing the material cost is 35-45% ($300-400). Manufacturing cost is probably 10% (made in USA), marketing 10%, retail margin 15-20%. Then with the remaining you have to cover R&D, inventory (not just for product, but also repair long term), warranty, customer support (lasts beyond warranty) and profit. In the end, they might make 15% ($130).

Not saying it is a deal, just saying that there is a plausible path to that price point. My guess is they evaluated the market… chose Radion as the comparable product, used that price point as a goal, then R&D did a design to cost with a goal of $300-$400 with a target margin close to their other products.

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again More Hype than Realistic experience by an aquarium product MAJOR PROBLEM IN INDUSTRY
Absolutely a big issue with Neptune products. They should spend money and time modernizing their core controller. It’s a good piece of gear but it built with cheap components and runs on ancient archaic software. Far difficult to use than it should be.
If of reverse engineering an obscure light maybe they should have just looked at the competitor that’s taking market share from them is doing.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad... 35 cents per LED. :p

$1100

Pricing does not include metal halide ballast, metal halide lamps and T5 tubes. All fixtures can be ordered with ballast and lamps at additional cost

At least with leds you get a power supply and " bulbs"
:)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back