Neptune Sky or Kessil A360x w/ Reef Brite XHO Add On

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Currently using three Kessil A360x over my 4 foot SPS dominant reef. Looking to add either the Reef Brite XHO add ons to each Kessil, or replace the Kessils with two Neptune Sky’s.

I love the Kessil shimmer, but I’m worried about shadowing as my frags turn into colonies. I also have Neptune system running a lot of my equipment so the Sky lights are very intriguing to me.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Chipper1978

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That’s the conundrum. So would you agree the Neptune Sky’s are a better choice if the main goal is coral growth?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the conundrum. So would you agree the Neptune Sky’s are a better choice if the main goal is coral growth?

We, as hobbyists, need to stop asking 'which is better'. The correct answer is that they are different. Different in wattage, different in design (panel vs dense matrix array), different in control (spectrum and how it applies PAR/power), and of course price.

You mentioned you currently have 3 a360x's over your display today and that is 4 feet. What are the actual dimensions? Have you done any PAR measurements with the existing lighting? If so how does that look as you measured around the display?

Have you made a list of what is important to you? Control? Shimmer? Growth?

Have you factored in a budget of doing any of the things you considered? Adding additional Kessil's, Reef Brite, or swapping over to the SKY's?

Let me try and give you some feedback based on my experience of using both.

Kessil a360x (I ran 4 over my 210 display 54 x 30 x 30)
  • Shimmer (over powering, swimming pool level or drift diving over a shallow reef at high noon)
  • Adjustable mounting height (8" above waterline for me)
  • Mounting height + lens = focus light on coral, clam, or increase PAR without changing light kit
  • Great form factor
  • Great PAR single unit
  • Quiet
  • Kessil Sun / Tuna Blue (reef will use blue)
  • Kessil logic - non controlled option Kessil blends spectrum that is pleasing to the eye yet grows corals
  • Kessil controller - unlock additional channels, wired or wireless
  • Kessil wireless / Neptune IotA integration - HUGE quality of life improvement via Apex
  • Kessil - great support when needed, great company with a lighting history
  • Kessil look - depth, contrast, shadows, brightness, focused - it has a way of bringing out colors as the eye focuses

Sky (I run 2 at the moment, same display 210 54 x 30 x 30)
  • Shimmer - not over powering, subtle, diving 70' or more sort of thing - calm
  • Adjustable mounting options (8" above waterline for me)
  • Panel design, great spread
  • Single design multiple spectrum with less PAR loss
  • Does not require Apex but ready should you choose
  • Bluetooth/app - great range
  • Easy to setup - less than 5 minutes
  • 14 or so spectrum pre-sets
  • Neptune's first light, solid quality, design
  • Two fans, redundent
  • Quiet
  • Neptune SKY - whereas Kessil, to me, has a lot of contrast and depth the SKY wraps light around the corals

Honestly they are both great lights if you can ignore hobbyist personal bias. Adding more a360x's is a valid option. And if you haven't buy the wireless dongle and integrate it to your Apex. Great quality of life improvement. If you want to go with the SKY's that will also work. There is a lot of distaste for them on this forum and on instagram but if you can ignore some of the bias you will find hobbyist that are very happy with them with no issues.

It may be a cheaper investment to add Kessil's for now. Let your colonies grow and then assess mounting and revisit. I will also say that Mr. Dellaquila (Reef Brite) is a honest and good person so I would entertain reaching out to him and see if a bar may help you.

Hope this helps. Not trying not to answer but having used both Kessil and SKY's they are both great. So with that said it is more of a dollar and cents for a bit while you let your tank mature. Hope you have an amazing day.

OP
OP
Chipper1978

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Add some t5
Was considering that, but the ceilings are too high to have any hanging lights. Not sure how I would mount them. The Reef Brites are supposed to provide filler light like T5’s, but not sure how well they grow coral.

ReefLaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have you seen the sky’s in person? They are not my taste as there is zero shimmer and looks extremely flat. I would add reef brites and keep the kessils. Would look amazing

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really thought about the sky lights. I was pumped and went to my LFS to order them. I currently run 5 a360x over my tank. I really love the shimmer. Reminds me of scuba diving. Really no reason to change my lights other than to try something new. So, I went to the LFS and checked them out. Absolutely did not like them. They simply weren’t appealing to my eyes. I’ve grown too accustomed to my Kessils. Not saying the sky’s look bad. Just not my taste. My point? Seeing the sky’s in person helped me solidify what I like in a light and what I am after. I decided to stick with the Kessils because they satisfy those personal needs.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kessils you already have will look awesome with blue reef brites. Your kessils are full spectrum and you can run them more white to compensate if needed. You can grow coral just fine with that setup.

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a completely different option. I’m considering adding a Kessil AP9X in between my (2) A360X Kessils.

This keeps the kessil logic, shimmer and light but would eliminate a lot of shadowing and provide what you need with the quality appearance and spectrum you know and love!!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just add the reef brites or one more kessil. I don't think you will have shadowing issues with your current 3, but it won't hurt to add the extra lights. Keep in mind the reef brite will slightly mute the kessil shimmer.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had four pucks on a four foot tank. Serious shadows.

If you don't mind all of the cords, and must have the shimmer, add the reef brites.
Otherwise, get the Sky's.

Neither is a good value for the money, IMO, but accomplish the job eliminating shadows.

OP
OP
Chipper1978

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We, as hobbyists, need to stop asking 'which is better'. The correct answer is that they are different. Different in wattage, different in design (panel vs dense matrix array), different in control (spectrum and how it applies PAR/power), and of course price.

You mentioned you currently have 3 a360x's over your display today and that is 4 feet. What are the actual dimensions? Have you done any PAR measurements with the existing lighting? If so how does that look as you measured around the display?

Have you made a list of what is important to you? Control? Shimmer? Growth?

Have you factored in a budget of doing any of the things you considered? Adding additional Kessil's, Reef Brite, or swapping over to the SKY's?

Let me try and give you some feedback based on my experience of using both.

Kessil a360x (I ran 4 over my 210 display 54 x 30 x 30)
  • Shimmer (over powering, swimming pool level or drift diving over a shallow reef at high noon)
  • Adjustable mounting height (8" above waterline for me)
  • Mounting height + lens = focus light on coral, clam, or increase PAR without changing light kit
  • Great form factor
  • Great PAR single unit
  • Quiet
  • Kessil Sun / Tuna Blue (reef will use blue)
  • Kessil logic - non controlled option Kessil blends spectrum that is pleasing to the eye yet grows corals
  • Kessil controller - unlock additional channels, wired or wireless
  • Kessil wireless / Neptune IotA integration - HUGE quality of life improvement via Apex
  • Kessil - great support when needed, great company with a lighting history
  • Kessil look - depth, contrast, shadows, brightness, focused - it has a way of bringing out colors as the eye focuses

Sky (I run 2 at the moment, same display 210 54 x 30 x 30)
  • Shimmer - not over powering, subtle, diving 70' or more sort of thing - calm
  • Adjustable mounting options (8" above waterline for me)
  • Panel design, great spread
  • Single design multiple spectrum with less PAR loss
  • Does not require Apex but ready should you choose
  • Bluetooth/app - great range
  • Easy to setup - less than 5 minutes
  • 14 or so spectrum pre-sets
  • Neptune's first light, solid quality, design
  • Two fans, redundent
  • Quiet
  • Neptune SKY - whereas Kessil, to me, has a lot of contrast and depth the SKY wraps light around the corals

Honestly they are both great lights if you can ignore hobbyist personal bias. Adding more a360x's is a valid option. And if you haven't buy the wireless dongle and integrate it to your Apex. Great quality of life improvement. If you want to go with the SKY's that will also work. There is a lot of distaste for them on this forum and on instagram but if you can ignore some of the bias you will find hobbyist that are very happy with them with no issues.

It may be a cheaper investment to add Kessil's for now. Let your colonies grow and then assess mounting and revisit. I will also say that Mr. Dellaquila (Reef Brite) is a honest and good person so I would entertain reaching out to him and see if a bar may help you.

Hope this helps. Not trying not to answer but having used both Kessil and SKY's they are both great. So with that said it is more of a dollar and cents for a bit while you let your tank mature. Hope you have an amazing day.
Thank you so much for the detailed response! Much appreciated. Love all the detailed bullet points of each light.

My display is 48"x 24"x 22". I have measured PAR and most of my SPS is in the upper half of my tank and receiving 200-250 PAR. For me, control of the lights is nice to have, but not as much as shimmer and growth. I have the wireless dongle and use it with the Kessil app, but didn't realize I can integrate it with my Apex. Thanks!

I have considered adding a 4th Kessil, but I'm not sure that would do anything to assist with shadowing. Lots to consider.

OP
OP
Chipper1978

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have you seen the sky’s in person? They are not my taste as there is zero shimmer and looks extremely flat. I would add reef brites and keep the kessils. Would look amazing
My local fish store had a Sky turned on over a tank with no water in it. Made it tough to judge. I am very tempted to add the reef brites due to hearing they look great with Kessils.

OP
OP
Chipper1978

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What about a completely different option. I’m considering adding a Kessil AP9X in between my (2) A360X Kessils.

This keeps the kessil logic, shimmer and light but would eliminate a lot of shadowing and provide what you need with the quality appearance and spectrum you know and love!!
I absolutely love this idea. Just wondering how it would do illuminating SPS on the outer edges of the tank.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has pretty much covered it. Youre looking at two lights on the polar ends of the spectrum on form factor and intended use. This will come down to which camp you personally fall in. Kessil is what kessil is BECAUSE of the hard shadows. It's not just the shimmer (yes thats a big part), but the hard shadows are part of what make them look so crisp and natural. The sky's intention is to deliberately NOT have hard shadows and shimmer. Both provide adequate par and spectrum. Which methodology more suits your visual preferences?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back