Neptune Systems acquires rights to automated alkalinity monitoring invention

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, but how many will purchase an Apex just to have this. This will also help sway undecided controller buyers into going with an Apex over the competition. They might have to sell a metric ton of "universal units" to make up for the loss of Apex sales and the cost of the R&D to get it to work with other controllers. I'm sure someone there will be analyzing these very questions sooner than later.

You have a legitimate argument. However, in my case, I use a different controller. My guess is that it would be significantly cheaper for me to pay for the Hanna reagents than it would be to replace my controller and all its components. There are also people who cannot afford the Apex, just to get alk monitoring. IMO, it is not worth the cost if it is purchased just for alk monitoring.

I understand business a bit and if Neptune wants to lock an alk monitoring unit to Apex, then they are neglecting too large a market. If they do not fill this market, someone else will. I encourage them to look beyond the Apex. I have no problem paying for a stand alone alk monitoring application.

This may be a game changer but it is still significantly cheaper for me to buy Hanna reagents than replace my current controller. I suspect the same can be said for those who do not want a controller.

Mpal771

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is news the hobby needed. Sustainability means lower mortality rates for the animals we keep. A big thanks and congrats to Jim!

Mpal771

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I check the mailbox everyday and the Mindstream I ordered never comes. I don't understand.

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just announced this morning. Here is a link to the press release and some images as well.

PRESS RELEASE: Neptune Systems acquires rights to automated alkalinity monitoring invention in their quest for the holy grail of reef keeping

1.jpg

2.jpg

Alk-Mon.jpg

Alk-Monitor-In-Fusion-TBF.png

Alk-Monitor-In-Fusion-Rich-Ross.png
Awesome Terence!

Aaron Gustafson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But they are not a non-profit corporation....thus if you want it ..you must buy it all from them...just good business....why would they spend the extra resources making it cross compatible....people will flock to get one and add the apex too.

Think about it....you have the only machine that will seal envelopes....you set it up to work with the Microsoft corporation mail system. They buy the rights from you....why would Microsoft pay for the system, then pay for it to work with other systems....where they make no money from....why would they care....they own it and it works already....its a waste of money to make the system cross compatible .... Microsoft is out the r and d money and makes a tiny profi off outside Microsoft sales....not good business.

Of course Office, Cortana, Visual studio, etc. are all cross-platform now. You can run Ubuntu & Bash in Windows. .Net is open source. And Microsoft stock is at an all-time high ;-)

ReeferRoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they introduce a SA unit and allow it to tie into Fusion for basic monitoring purposes it would give many other hobbyist exposure to their platform thus increasing interest in the controllers and accessories. I would say it would be similar to GHL and their SA Doser units, thats my limited experience and my 2 cents.

I am all for automation so as a new hobbyist, i am stoked!

Johnseye

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those crying about a Neptune exclusivity, they don't have a patent on the ability of a device to measure Alk. They have an exclusive deal with Jim on his device. Until we see a patent to that effect anyone can make a competing device to do the same thing.

This is a big deal in our hobby. Hopefully calcium and magnesium probes follow to help us stabilize the big three without our constant manual testing.

There's always a first in invention and innovation but they're never the last.

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this unit ends up anything like the salinity or ph probes, there will be a very limited market. You'll still need test kits to calibrate/test your alk unit. I'd never use it, especially if it controlled alk dosing.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something as ugly as that, has to be an Apex product. Pretty cool, regardless.

They didn't build that, they just required the rights to go with it from here. I highly doubt it'll look anything like this when they release it

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be a lot of work to make this come in a price point that most hobbyist will want to pay. Currently the unit that is on the market that you can buy today is $1063 dollars plus the on the on going reagent cost's.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence : so lets learn from the past mistake (the new apex 2016). You NEED beta testers for this new device before shipping it as a production unit......I am ready when the device is available :); Let's make a list gens ;)

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The product has been tested. It just needs to be madd produced and fit and finish needs some work. Alkalinity monitor has long been the holy grail in our hobby! Congrats to Neptune!

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this unit ends up anything like the salinity or ph probes, there will be a very limited market. You'll still need test kits to calibrate/test your alk unit. I'd never use it, especially if it controlled alk dosing.

Lol

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First to everyone discussing weather or not Neptune will produce this as an Apex only device, I point out that at present it already has connectivity that will work with every existing controller that supports a ph probe. There is no reason for Neptune to do away with that. Rather I think it is more likely that Neptune wil further enhance the unit so you can program, manage and monitor the unit through the Apex and Apex Live.

Here is how I see this unit being used within a system with an Apex controller.
Testing 2 -8 times per day. This is first and foremost a monitor, and as such is best used to show show ALK is being used and replenished.
Next is to alert someone if ALK is out of acceptable tollerence.
Last would be to take basic action if ALK is extremely out of acceptable tollerence. This would be in the form of stopping a two part doser, or CA reactor feed pump. I would never put a program incharge of independently increasing ALK dosing.

I strongly suspect that when released this is going to be the most expensive add on module available to any controller. It is likely that it will never be as common as a simple salinity/conductivity probe.

I really look forward to seeing what Neptune does with this and seeing it on @Terence system.

fredro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They didn't build that, they just required the rights to go with it from here. I highly doubt it'll look anything like this when they release it
Yea, I realize they "acquired" the rights to it and they will likely redesign it. I was just stating that something as ugly as that could only be, or become an Apex product.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back