Neptune Systems applies for SKY trademark – hints at future Aquarium Lighting Unit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune Systems has applied for a Trademark with the United States and Patent Trademark office for “SKY” – a new light built for saltwater aquariums, specifically reef aquariums and the mark covers these classes associated therein. Industry rumors point to the new SKY lighting system to reduce shadows in a reef tank, much like Phillips […]
Source

Continue reading...

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely nothing. If they were trying to put things in motion at the time of the announcement - worst possible time to get LED's and electronic components from Asia.

litlsea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SKY was announced tonight on Devins live stream. Not a lot of info. Still under wraps you could say but it will run standalone or with an Apex. Terrance has had great success with his Coral Care lights on his reef and the name SKY hints to a broad lightscape. First units will be going out for testing and we should start seeing more info by the end of the year. I'm intrigued .....

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught the same live stream. My take away is it will have limited channels/adjustment, a large foot print and modest power.

Terrance was definitely trying to change public opinion about spectrum, which tells me that sky is going to be closer to the 10K spectrum. And if they're successful in that campaign, we will start seeing the tourist regurgitating that blue spectrum is no longer popular.

U

User1

View Badges
I caught the same live stream. My take away is it will have limited channels/adjustment, a large foot print and modest power.

Terrance was definitely trying to change public opinion about spectrum, which tells me that sky is going to be closer to the 10K spectrum. And if they're successful in that campaign, we will start seeing the tourist regurgitating that blue spectrum is no longer popular.

Not sure the direction of the post but to be fair there is a clear distinction between the US and our EMEA counterparts with regards to spectrum. US seems to favor blue while EMEA counter parts prefer more natural white or high noon. One only has to look at BRS's review of the Philips Coral Care Gen 2 to see the bias.

Well, bias may not be the right word to use here but they more or less admit they prefer the blue spectrum and thus dial down 50% of the LED's to achieve it. When I read about the SKY a while back I was really hoping that Neptune would cut a deal with Philips and be the primary supplier or brand.

Just my take on it but then again I'm more of a natural day light spectrum lad. What do I know :)

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure the direction of the post but to be fair there is a clear distinction between the US and our EMEA counterparts with regards to spectrum. US seems to favor blue while EMEA counter parts prefer more natural white or high noon. One only has to look at BRS's review of the Philips Coral Care Gen 2 to see the bias.

Well, bias may not be the right word to use here but they more or less admit they prefer the blue spectrum and thus dial down 50% of the LED's to achieve it. When I read about the SKY a while back I was really hoping that Neptune would cut a deal with Philips and be the primary supplier or brand.

Just my take on it but then again I'm more of a natural day light spectrum lad. What do I know :)
I thought the same thing, sky was just going to be a rebranded philips fixture. I would imagine that they at least attempted to do so.

As for spectrum, blue light choice is driven by customers, I'm not a fan of the windex look, but I'm in the minority as well.

If neptune is going to attempt to wag the dog, they're going to have a tough challenge ahead of them.

U

User1

View Badges
I thought the same thing, sky was just going to be a rebranded philips fixture. I would imagine that they at least attempted to do so.

As for spectrum, blue light choice is driven by customers, I'm not a fan of the windex look, but I'm in the minority as well.

If neptune is going to attempt to wag the dog, they're going to have a tough challenge ahead of them.

Rebranded - that is the word I was looking for! Thanks. And also 100% agree.

Side note - forgot to say hope all is well :)

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a rebranded Philips Coral Care Gen 2 with some additional Apex control built in via 0-10 or something of the sorts... (aquabus)?

U

User1

View Badges
Perhaps a rebranded Philips Coral Care Gen 2 with some additional Apex control built in via 0-10 or something of the sorts... (aquabus)?

I do not believe this will happen. Coral Vue nabbed the light and they have their own controller via HYDROS. While I very well may be wrong I do not see any of the controller players being nice to one another by trying to integrate.

Note: I said any and not one as it takes two :)

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I honestly see no point in a Neptune rebranded Coral Care if it does not have any added integration with the Neptune ecosystem. If that is the case then Neptune sky will be a brand new light using the same concept... or simply abandoned/postponed.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Who runs all blue high noon anyways. Blue channels on of course but the white should cancel most of the blue.

I hope Sky has similar if not exact feel that radions have within apex fusion.

U

User1

View Badges
Well, I honestly see no point in a Neptune rebranded Coral Care if it does not have any added integration with the Neptune ecosystem. If that is the case then Neptune sky will be a brand new light using the same concept... or simply abandoned/postponed.

I doubt it will be rebranded as we mentioned above due to CoralCare already snagging them.

I think during the first live stream with this was brought up by Neptune they made it pretty clear that at that time SKY is all they would say. Nothing else about it and they pretty much stuck to their word as they didn't want another Trident stream of traffic, lack of updates, updates in general, etc. I don't blame them.

One thing that was interesting is that they said at that same live stream that the Trident was the only 6 letter product whereas all others are 3... Make of it what you will I guess.

litlsea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I didn't pick up on the limited power in the livestream but I would expect "enough" power. After all they have competition to wrestle market share from. In the 80's I ran10K halides where many preferred 16 or 20K. Personally I prefer the daylight look when viewing the tank but not with a lack of blue spectrum. That was provided by VHO actinics. Looking at Terrances tank under Coral Cares it is a "daylight" look. I think it will be something along the lines of Coral Care and Kessil where there may be less control compared to some. This can be a good thing for some but it will not be everyones cup of tea. We will find out early in the new year I'm sure.

U

User1

View Badges
I didn't pick up on the limited power in the livestream but I would expect "enough" power. After all they have competition to wrestle market share from. In the 80's I ran10K halides where many preferred 16 or 20K. Personally I prefer the daylight look when viewing the tank but not with a lack of blue spectrum. That was provided by VHO actinics. Looking at Terrances tank under Coral Cares it is a "daylight" look. I think it will be something along the lines of Coral Care and Kessil where there may be less control compared to some. This can be a good thing for some but it will not be everyones cup of tea. We will find out early in the new year I'm sure.

I ran 2 x 175W MH with SVHO acttinics. Loved the look. Probably one reason why I'm looking at the Gen 2 Philips. Straton also has my eye. Only thing holding me back a bit is the overall investment although I could recoup some by selling my Kessil's.

Then again I really like my Kessil's.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't pick up on the limited power in the livestream but I would expect "enough" power.
That's based on the assumption that past videos suggest a completely solid state fixture is the preferred method. Only 2 things you can do to toss out the cooling fan, run it with lower power or bulk up on the aluminum heatsink. The latter would make a large fixture very expensive and heavy. Which is why I deduce that a lower total wattage light is probably what we will see.

The neptune brand carries weight and they are good at marketing, which tells me, once the NSI folks are armed with their talking points, we are going to see a lot persuasive conversation in these threads. And once the lights hit the market, people will open their wallets to be the first to get em. Time will tell if they're going to be a "game changer" like one person said in the live chat.

Back