Neptune Systems applies for SKY trademark – hints at future Aquarium Lighting Unit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

U

User1

View Badges
That's based on the assumption that past videos suggest a completely solid state fixture is the preferred method. Only 2 things you can do to toss out the cooling fan, run it with lower power or bulk up on the aluminum heatsink. The latter would make a large fixture very expensive and heavy. Which is why I deduce that a lower total wattage light is probably what we will see.

I think you are on the right track here. One only has to look at the Philips Gen 1 and its massive size. Gen 2 they did a redesign and it is better although still heavy :) Passive cooling, thermal management, no fans, power supply changes, etc. ATI and Philips did their homework and I believe set the standard moving forward.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what could make them a "Game Changer". If they are a panel style design there's only a few of the top manufacturers who don't offer a panel style already. It will be interesting to see what they do come up with though and what marketing antics they get into before it's finally released. I always enjoy watching the Neptune release show :)
I also agree that it is difficult to see how the SKY could be a game changer since they are not the first to come out with the idea. Philips did it first with the Coral Care (which Terence has used as a Guinea pig in his own tank) and ATI has also beaten them with the Straton. The Orphecks, the GNC BluRay, the jaw dropping LupyLED (and amazingly expensive also) not to mention the Giesemann FUTURA S which dates back some 6 years, they have all gone for the multiple LED approach, although did not deal with the spectrum blending that the Philips and ATI have done by using a slightly opaque cover to eliminate the static effect of having a ton of small LEDs shinning down on the tank.

However, I would not call it mainstream either as I believe the units that sell the most currently are still not a panel such as the Kessils, the AI Hydra's or even the Radions, which although have progressed towards a "panel like" fixture are still too small to actually shine light from all angles as these large fixtures are aiming to.

I believe "game changing" will be more in the control aspect of the unit. For example, a Task function could ask you to input what type of aquarium you have (LPS, Mixed or SPS), how deep is your tank, how high are you mounting the units within a pre defined acceptable range, and automatically setup the spectrum and intensity of the unit to reach the desired PAR and spectrum across your tank. Of course, "advanced" users would have the option to go into the individual controls and customise to their taste but this would definitely be a game changer.

Who knows,... futurology here

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't see a potential game changer here. The only possible advantage I see would be integration with the Apex, but based on my personal experience with Neptune peripheral products (I love my Apex), such as the WXM (worst product I've ever purchased for my systems), WAV's (oops, forget the WXM, WAV's are by far the worst product I've wasted money on for my systems), Auto feeder, ATK, etc, I will need to see these in action successfully for at least a year before I would even consider looking at them, and based on Neptune's record with new releases, I would expect that to be 2023-2024, and by then I'm certain that even if these were decent, there will still be much better products on the market. But at least you should be able to get orange and gray lights to match the rest of your Neptune gear... so there is that. LOL :)

U

User1

View Badges
I just hope competitors threaten retailers to not sell them the way “somebody” did with CoralVue’s Hydros products. You couldn’t pay me to use Neptune products for a door stopper.

I see some are still spreading rumors. Dislike the product all you want. Nobody cares. However, don't continue to spread misinformation that has already been proven to be false. Especially when you have no factual information to back it up.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They might as well let the cat out of the bag and fill us in

U

User1

View Badges
I do as a matter of fact have factual information. My shop here that I supply coral to refuses to carry Neptune simply because they have always been shady. Royal pains to do business with. What comes around should go around. Be a cheerleader all you like, that’s your perogative.

Not a cheerleader or net nanny. Just stating the facts. If you go through the thread that you are referencing you will see no factual information. It is all second hand. In fact one retailer responded saying that was not the case and that they were asked to hold up. I guess maybe you like collusion but none of that was here.

If your shop refuses to carry neptune again, great. Their choice. Or is it their choice? Maybe they can't because they are shady? Always two sides to a story. As I said earlier if you dislike them more power to you. Not here to change your mind. However, I am a proponent of stopping the spread of misinformation.

Simply put up or shut up. Easy as that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back