Nero 3 dead after 16 months of use

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started in this hobby, I did my research and decided to pay more on my equipment for quality and piece of mind. Let’s just say I am very disappointed with Aqua Illumination.

My Nero 3 pump, in use for a little over a year, died. I have been very diligent with maintenance. The pump has been cleaned as it should have. There is no reason for this other than poor manufacturing and quality. I’ve reached to Aqua Illumination support, who said it was a hardware problem and sent me to their Canadian distributor. Who then told me the warranty was expired and I would have to pay for repairs.

I’m not going to pay to repair a 230$ CAD pump that barely lasted a year…

Now I’m wondering how long it will be before all my other expensive Aqua Illumination equipment dies on me.

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t asked. I am so mad. It has to be at least 40$-50$ with shipping. Probably more.
Way cheaper than a new pump....

I get where you're coming from though. All the brands once you start searching are filled with reports of equipment either barely lasting past the warranty period, or still going strong at year 6. The real selling point for any gear should come from the quality of service after the sale, that's what will make or break a manufacture.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI warranty is one year. Your pump died after a year. Not sure what your complaint is. Are you expecting them to replace your pump out of warranty out of the kindness in their heart?

Every manufacturer in all industry will have products that may fail. Fact of life. Seems unreasonable to say all AI products are trash just because your pump failed after 16 months....

Yea it sucks but pretty much expected that certain percent of products will fail. I hope AI don't fix this for you just because you blast them publicly. I would hate to see entitlement being rewarded and encouraged. Warranty period should mean something.

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI warranty is one year. Your pump died after a year. Not sure what your complaint is. Are you expecting them to replace your pump out of warranty out of the kindness in their heart?

Every manufacturer in all industry will have products that may fail. Fact of life. Seems unreasonable to say all AI products are trash just because your pump failed after 16 months....

Yea it sucks but pretty much expected that certain percent of products will fail. I hope AI don't fix this for you just because you blast them publicly. I would hate to see entitlement being rewarded and encouraged. Warranty period should mean something.
I mean it seems extreme to say you hope a manufacture doesn't fix his issue. You're clearly typing emotionally about this for some reason.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is your opinion. But there is such a thing as « acceptable life duration of a product ». If I was a reefer for 30 years, is it acceptable that I would have to buy a pump every single year ?

Is it acceptable that a 240$ pump lasts 16 months and a 50$ one lasts 10 years ?

In my province it is the law that a product must last an acceptable amount of time, despite the manufacturer’s warranty. That law was passed to protect consumers. Their Canadian distributor is aware of that law and won’t even consider it.

So yeah, I’m unhappy.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean it seems extreme to say you hope a manufacture doesn't fix his issue. You're clearly typing emotionally about this for some reason.
AI already said they we wont fix it cuz it's out of warranty. I hope they don't cave just because someone cries loud enough on a public forum or social media.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI already said they we wont fix it cuz it's out of warranty. I hope they don't cave just because someone cries loud enough on a public forum or social media.
Read my post above. It’s a little more than that. Anyways, I don’t really care what you think.

I think people should know these pumps are not worth the money they go for. If I had known, I wouldn’t have bought all that AI equipment.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is your opinion. But there is such a thing as « acceptable life duration of a product ». If I was a reefer for 30 years, is it acceptable that I would have to buy a pump every single year ?

Is it acceptable that a 240$ pump lasts 16 months and a 50$ one lasts 10 years ?

In my province it is the law that a product must last an acceptable amount of time, despite the manufacturer’s warranty. That law was passed to protect consumers. Their Canadian distributor is aware of that law and won’t even consider it.

So yeah, I’m unhappy.
Can you prove that a large percentage of the $240 pump only last less than 16 months? Yes it sucks it happened to you, but I doubt the law applies to your sample size of one. Yes, I get that you are upset cuz the pump is expensive and it broke early. But life ain't fair and luck wasn't on your side for this one. It is unreasonable to expect that 100% of their pumps will last 2+ years. That's just statistically impossible. However, if research and reviews show that 15% of their pumps fail less than 16 months, then they should be held accountable. It would be great if AI would disclose the number of warranty claims on their pumps to prove the reliability.

JetsIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you prove that a large percentage of the $240 pump only last less than 16 months? Yes it sucks it happened to you, but I doubt the law applies to your sample size of one. Yes, I get that you are upset cuz the pump is expensive and it broke early. But life ain't fair and luck wasn't on your side for this one. It is unreasonable to expect that 100% of their pumps will last 2+ years. That's just statistically impossible. However, if research and reviews show that 15% of their pumps fail less than 16 months, then they should be held accountable. It would be great if AI would disclose the number of warranty claims on their pumps to prove the reliability.
You’re coming off like a jerk. Just fyi. People have a right to be frustrated that a $240 product crapped out after a year. It may be a fact of life, but they have a right to be frustrated and I, for one, appreciate the tip.

stefan09w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a Nero 3 pump die at exactly the 1.5 year mark. Not sure exactly what your specific situation is and the error you are having, but my pump was flashing red. After cleaning and following the trouble shooting tips it still would not work. AI sent me a replacement pump(motor only). I had to send them back the pump that failed. All in all was a satisfactory experience. I am sorry you are going through this.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a Nero 3 pump die at exactly the 1.5 year mark. Not sure exactly what your specific situation is and the error you are having, but my pump was flashing red. After cleaning and following the trouble shooting tips it still would not work. AI sent me a replacement pump(motor only). I had to send them back the pump that failed. All in all was a satisfactory experience. I am sorry you are going through this.
Thanks for sharing ! Did you have to pay for the replacement?

stefan09w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing ! Did you have to pay for the replacement?
No I did not. I was able to provide pictures and videos of my specific issue as well as my receipt. I did however know it was out of warranty. My communication was directly with someone from ecotech via email I believe. Once I submitted the requested documents they sent out the replacement. I believe I might of paid a deposit on the pump until they received my old one but I cant remember.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I did not. I was able to provide pictures and videos of my specific issue as well as my receipt. I did however know it was out of warranty. My communication was directly with someone from ecotech via email I believe. Once I submitted the requested documents they sent out the replacement. I believe I might of paid a deposit on the pump until they received my old one but I cant remember.
That seems reasonable. I wish I was offered the same. :-(

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They intentionally decided the controller attached to the propeller permanently so that we as they consumers can’t easily just replace the controller or the propeller itself, rather the entire pump which they will make a lot of money. If you own a jebao or any other pumps, the controller is detachable, which makes way more sense to us.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back