Nero 5 too strong for 20G nano?

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a Nero 5 for my IM 20 gal and it's running at 1% right now. That's really the only setting I can justify running it at and it still seems like too much. My plan - for a pretty long time, is to keep this 20g and not upgrade.

Is it even worth keeping knowing that I could run a Koralia 240gph pump for $30 in there?

Any advice/thoughts would be helpful.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a Nero 5 for my IM 20 gal and it's running at 1% right now. That's really the only setting I can justify running it at and it still seems like too much. My plan - for a pretty long time, is to keep this 20g and not upgrade.

Is it even worth keeping knowing that I could run a Koralia 240gph pump for $30 in there?

The problem is 1% is not a percentage of the actual flow. 1% should be like 30 gph (based on 3000 flow) but it is more like 900+ gph

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I developed a table that shows the power setting vs. flow readout of the Nero pumps. You may find this helpful:

Regarding whether to keep it vs the Koralia you mentioned, it would depend on how much turnover you're looking for. At the lowest setting for the Nero you're at approximately 47x, with the Koralia, you'd be at 12x. With the Nero you have the option to adjust, create waves, etc... with the Koralia you have none of that.

The Nero may be more "future proof" if you upgrade, but you said that wasn't the plan right now. Again, I'll go back to desired turnover rate being as being one of the main factors in your decision.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I developed a table that shows the power setting vs. flow readout of the Nero pumps. You may find this helpful:

Regarding whether to keep it vs the Koralia you mentioned, it would depend on how much turnover you're looking for. At the lowest setting for the Nero you're at approximately 47x, with the Koralia, you'd be at 12x. With the Nero you have the option to adjust, create waves, etc... with the Koralia you have none of that.

The Nero may be more "future proof" if you upgrade, but you said that wasn't the plan right now. Again, I'll go back to desired turnover rate being as being one of the main factors in your decision.

Thanks for the info - I'm really not sure what the turnover should be. I'm back to being relatively new to the hobby ... kept a tank years ago. What would you recommend for a 20G nano?

I definitely plan on keeping coral eventually, all kinds of coral as I have the right lighting (AI Prime HD) for it all but I feel like I could get away with multiple koralias and still save nearly $200...I don't want to be cheap though as you get what you pay for. Just want to do this right. Don't want to have too much power here and it be overkill for the clownfish and corals.

Let me know what you think.

squaretwelve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a nero 5 in my 10g. Pulse at 10% 1 on, 5 off for 12 hours during the day and run random at 5% the other 12.

squaretwelve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, pics below! I have it placed on my back wall on my overflow.

Screenshot_20200102-133042_myAI.jpg
Screenshot_20200102-133048_myAI.jpg
Screenshot_20200102-133054_myAI.jpg

IMG_20200101_151627_252.jpg

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info - I'm really not sure what the turnover should be. I'm back to being relatively new to the hobby ... kept a tank years ago. What would you recommend for a 20G nano?

I definitely plan on keeping coral eventually, all kinds of coral as I have the right lighting (AI Prime HD) for it all but I feel like I could get away with multiple koralias and still save nearly $200...I don't want to be cheap though as you get what you pay for. Just want to do this right. Don't want to have too much power here and it be overkill for the clownfish and corals.

Let me know what you think.
First and foremost I will say that this is only my opinion and you'll likely get a lot of them on this topic. It will depend a lot on the type of coral you want to keep and likely a variety of other factors.

That said, I went from 4 Koraila 425gph (1700 gph) in a 65G tank, to two Neros running random between 10-35% for most of the day. I have a complicated schedule that includes some pulsing, etc., so it isn't exactly straightforward. Anyway, I went from 27x turnover with the 4 Koralias to over 50x turnover (average) with the two Neros. I can't say that the change made a difference in the overall health of my tank because I have changed many other things along the way that have no doubt had a positive effect. That said, I have some big anemones in this tank and I love the random motion the Neros produce, so in that way, they are worth it for me.

Also, FWIW, going from 4 Koralias to 2 Neros has made a big difference in the temp swings in my tank. I think Hydor makes a good product, but I suspect that the 4 Koralias put out a lot of heat that I didn't realize, until of course I got rid of them.

squaretwelve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, FWIW, going from 4 Koralias to 2 Neros has made a big difference in the temp swings in my tank. I think Hydor makes a good product, but I suspect that the 4 Koralias put out a lot of heat that I didn't realize, until of course I got rid of them.

This! Once I switched to the nero, I had about a 2 degree temperature drop. Had no idea the old one was contributing that much heat.

That is a sweet nano setup you have there!

Thanks!

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, pics below! I have it placed on my back wall on my overflow.

Screenshot_20200102-133042_myAI.jpg
Screenshot_20200102-133048_myAI.jpg
Screenshot_20200102-133054_myAI.jpg

IMG_20200101_151627_252.jpg
First and foremost I will say that this is only my opinion and you'll likely get a lot of them on this topic. It will depend a lot on the type of coral you want to keep and likely a variety of other factors.

That said, I went from 4 Koraila 425gph (1700 gph) in a 65G tank, to two Neros running random between 10-35% for most of the day. I have a complicated schedule that includes some pulsing, etc., so it isn't exactly straightforward. Anyway, I went from 27x turnover with the 4 Koralias to over 50x turnover (average) with the two Neros. I can't say that the change made a difference in the overall health of my tank because I have changed many other things along the way that have no doubt had a positive effect. That said, I have some big anemones in this tank and I love the random motion the Neros produce, so in that way, they are worth it for me.

RIGHT ON. Thank you both for your help. This all makes PERFECT sense. Decision made - keeping the Nero. Just need to fine tune things and make it work for my setup. This rules. Thank you both.

evo187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bring up a old thread but didn't want to start a new thread.

Is the magnet with the Nero waterproof so I can place it inside a chamber on a Nuvo 20?

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bring up a old thread but didn't want to start a new thread.

Is the magnet with the Nero waterproof so I can place it inside a chamber on a Nuvo 20?

I have it on the back middle wall of my tank. So the magnet is in the chamber. No issues so far! It’s been fantastic and the flow I keep around 25% now. In other words - I hope so! Haha.

evo187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough!! I am wanting to order one for my Nuvo 20. May be a little overkill but we shall see!! Can't justify the extra $100 for the MP10.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back