Nero 5 too strong for Nuvo 30L?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

sishooter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.
Is Nero 5 too strong for Nuvo 30L???
Nero 5 will be used in Waterbox 130.4 in about 2 months but want to try out in Nuvo 30L. My wife told me to go for bigger tank after begging for 2 years lol.

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to know about the Nero 5 is that the max is 3000 gph, which would mean that 1% should be 30 gph.... it’s not, 1% power is around 900 gph, which is actually 30% of the max flow. The percentage settings may be a percentage of power but they are not a percentage of max flow.

I have two (love them btw) in a 3’ - 65g. I like the random flow mode and have it set to 10% min, 30% max range. That gives me flow of about 1100 gph- 1550gph for EACH pump. Those flow numbers are roughly 30%-50% of max flow, though the setting is 10%-30%.

Bottom line is that the lowest flow setting is about 900gph and the percentage settings are not percentage of max flow. It’s not a problem for me, but may be a problem for those who think you can dial this pump in a way where the percentage of flow vs the max is exactly the same as the percentage of power... because that simply isn’t the case.

OP
OP
sishooter

sishooter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to know about the Nero 5 is that the max is 3000 gph, which would mean that 1% should be 30 gph.... it’s not, 1% power is around 900 gph, which is actually 30% of the max flow. The percentage settings may be a percentage of power but they are not a percentage of max flow.

I have two (love them btw) in a 3’ - 65g. I like the random flow mode and have it set to 10% min, 30% max range. That gives me flow of about 1100 gph- 1550gph for EACH pump. Those flow numbers are roughly 30%-50% of max flow, though the setting is 10%-30%.

Bottom line is that the lowest flow setting is about 900gph and the percentage settings are not percentage of max flow. It’s not a problem for me, but may be a problem for those who think you can dial this pump in a way where the percentage of flow vs the max is exactly the same as the percentage of power... because that simply isn’t the case.

Thank you for your reply. 5 stars

bdevillier19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So seeing how you have a 3’ 65g and they work for you, do you think 2 in a 40 breeder would work with them turned down? I have about 1” of argonite sand for substrate. I have hydra 26s for lights and like the idea of pumps and light all controlled by the same app

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply. 5 stars

You're welcome! Thanks for the 5-star "rating"!

So seeing how you have a 3’ 65g and they work for you, do you think 2 in a 40 breeder would work with them turned down? I have about 1” of argonite sand for substrate. I have hydra 26s for lights and like the idea of pumps and light all controlled by the same app

It would depend on the amount of turnover you're looking for. I had four Hydor 425gph (constant "on") before I replaced them with two Nero's. That was 1700gph of flow with no randomness, which equaled about 26x turnover just on the powerheads. With the Nero's as I currently have them set (I'm still playing with them a bit), when both pumps are at their approximate peak (1550gph), I'm at 3100gph or 47x turnover. I have a mixed reef but the right side of my tank is dominated by 3 large anemones (splits of one-another). The other corals (zoas, mushrooms, a few LPS) seem to be happy and the fish seem to ride the currents... looks like fun!

Anyway, it would be a personal decision based on the dimensions of your tank and what kind of flow/turnover you're looking for. Two at the minimum setting would be 1800gph or 45x turnover... that's near what I have on my 65g at it's "peak" - when both coincidentally hit the 30% mark at the same time (I do not employ the parent/child feature - I intentionally want it to be as random as possible). However, if you set them both on their lowest constantly, then you wouldn't be using all the features... you might as well buy cheaper AC pumps if you're going to do that. However, you could perhaps just buy one Nero, and then have a second AC pump mounted elsewhere on a constant mode/backup. That way you could take advantage of the AI app, have full control of both the lights and the flow in your tank, and save a few dollars in the process.

Hope that helps!

bdevillier19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome! Thanks for the 5-star "rating"!

It would depend on the amount of turnover you're looking for. I had four Hydor 425gph (constant "on") before I replaced them with two Nero's. That was 1700gph of flow with no randomness, which equaled about 26x turnover just on the powerheads. With the Nero's as I currently have them set (I'm still playing with them a bit), when both pumps are at their approximate peak (1550gph), I'm at 3100gph or 47x turnover. I have a mixed reef but the right side of my tank is dominated by 3 large anemones (splits of one-another). The other corals (zoas, mushrooms, a few LPS) seem to be happy and the fish seem to ride the currents... looks like fun!

Anyway, it would be a personal decision based on the dimensions of your tank and what kind of flow/turnover you're looking for. Two at the minimum setting would be 1800gph or 45x turnover... that's near what I have on my 65g at it's "peak" - when both coincidentally hit the 30% mark at the same time (I do not employ the parent/child feature - I intentionally want it to be as random as possible). However, if you set them both on their lowest constantly, then you wouldn't be using all the features... you might as well buy cheaper AC pumps if you're going to do that. However, you could perhaps just buy one Nero, and then have a second AC pump mounted elsewhere on a constant mode/backup. That way you could take advantage of the AI app, have full control of both the lights and the flow in your tank, and save a few dollars in the process.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply. I’ll have to rethink my plan possibly. I want the Nero 5 pumps and the use of the app but what good is $600 worth of pumps if you can’t use the features because you can’t turn them up?

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a Nero5 in my 29 gallon biocube and it works great. I this is my current program, only difference is that I've dialed down the the random to make of 30%, and pulse at 28% and then 20%. Sand wasn't the reason for scaling back, my zoa's were moving around WAY too much on one of my top rocks. Otherwise I'm loving it, and so is my tank!

IMG_9863.PNG

OP
OP
sishooter

sishooter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a Nero5 in my 29 gallon biocube and it works great. I this is my current program, only difference is that I've dialed down the the random to make of 30%, and pulse at 28% and then 20%. Sand wasn't the reason for scaling back, my zoa's were moving around WAY too much on one of my top rocks. Otherwise I'm loving it, and so is my tank!

IMG_9863.PNG

Thank you for your reply. I’m sold and I will be placing an order tonight. I was deciding between MP40 and Nero 5. Thanks again.

robmiller2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 15 Gallon Waterbox. I have it around 20% with no issues. I accidently hit "all on" once and water was coming out of the aquarium. Have to be careful. Will be putting it in my new 75 Gallon build when that is all ready to go.

Back