Nero 5 works with new Icecap Battery backup

The Bee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Horrible poster?? Uh yeah, sounds like user error to me^^^^^^^. Want to put money on it? If I had a dollar for every bit of inaccurate online fish store advice.... For the other members who are curious, when I get home from my trip I will post video and connections proving it. It worked during the last power outage two weeks ago flawlessly with my Nero . I did not test with other pumps, only Nero. I tell you helping people is getting to be a pain in the butt when immature inexperienced reefers post crap.
You are both right and wrong-ONE nero 5 will work with the icecap battery backup,but to use two nero 5 pumps you have to hook them up to the icecap using a Y cable and only one of the nero 5 power adapters-one pump will work but the other pump will function idiosyncratically using their app and not at all using their controller in manual mode.

Aqualevel8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's crazy to see your pump working! I've got the newer icecap v3 and it doesn't come with the short cable and I'm having issues getting mine to power on my Nero 5 once power is out, it just keeps the controller light on but the pump doesn't turn back on! Iv tried a shorter cable I had from my doser and same thing!
Is this the cable your using? https://www.coralvue.com/icecap-battery-backup-link-cable

OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You are both right and wrong-ONE nero 5 will work with the icecap battery backup,but to use two nero 5 pumps you have to hook them up to the icecap using a Y cable and only one of the nero 5 power adapters-one pump will work but the other pump will function idiosyncratically using their app and not at all using their controller in manual mode.
Thanks, but I ”never” said or implied two pumps would work on one battery backup. Why would I want two pumps working on one battery backup? The whole point is to provide oxygen to your tank on a power outage for as “long“ as possible.

OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's crazy to see your pump working! I've got the newer icecap v3 and it doesn't come with the short cable and I'm having issues getting mine to power on my Nero 5 once power is out, it just keeps the controller light on but the pump doesn't turn back on! Iv tried a shorter cable I had from my doser and same thing!
Is this the cable your using? https://www.coralvue.com/icecap-battery-backup-link-cable
That looks exactly like the cable I’m using. The short cable goes to bottom port on battery backup and the other end of short cable into Nero controller,right?

OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Very cool. I have mine to run the varios 2 return pump. Does the Nero run at full power or your schedule after a power outage?
It’s def not full power, half power it seems. Which is what I want. Oxygenated water for as long as possible till power comes back on.

sgarron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s V3 icecap battery. V2 didn’t work for me. I sold my Nero 5 and purchased Nero 3 Which work as well.
Are you sure on that? The V2 was 24v. The new V3 is back to 12v. I'm sure 12v could power the pump at 1/2 speed, but I don't think it will power the driver, which would prevent the pump from running. Could you confirm your battery version? I really don't want to order the wrong ones and have to return them.

OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I apologize, my version is the 24volt battery as pictured in the very first post in this thread.

OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I see that now you have the Nero 3. That's what I'll be using it on as well. Did you ever test it to see how long it will run?
I haven’t yet.... not sure I’ll test it for runtime since it’s not good for battery health to run it empty. It has run for a half days power outage recently.

reefer333_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks exactly like the cable I’m using. The short cable goes to bottom port on battery backup and the other end of short cable into Nero controller,right?
@Naturalreef Thanks for posting this. I have been searching solution for Nero's battery backup. I have a question.

Can you please explain what you mean by using the short cable? According to the manual, I need to use Y cable provided where B1 goes to battery backup, B2 goes to the pump and A goes to the power supply of the pump. Not sure where does the short cable fit in? Do you use the Nero's provided power supply at all?

I could be wrong, this is just a guess, but I think if you connect the pump and battery with the short cable and do not use pump power supply and Y cable, you are just drawing power directly from battery to the pump all the time without detecting whether power is off or not from pump's power supply. (I think that is what Y cable is doing).

I think the short cable provided in the link by Aqualevel8 is for linking two battery backup together to double the run time as mentioned in the manual.

Here is the link to the manual. https://www.f3images.com/IMD/UserManuals/CV22825.pdf

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 11.51.55 PM.png

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the clarification on this?

Does the Icecap battery back up version 3 work with the Nero 3?

I am planning to buy the Nero 3 and need a battery back up for it.

cmmatxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the clarification on this?

Does the Icecap battery back up version 3 work with the Nero 3?

I am planning to buy the Nero 3 and need a battery back up for it.
the v3 does work with nero 3 just tested it today

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the v3 does work with nero 3 just tested it today
That is good to know.

However, what is the difference between Icecap version 2 versus the new version 3 besides the voltage difference?

Which version is a better buy since both works with the Nero 3?

devocole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find a solution to this. I have two nero 5's with a V3 for each. Keeps the light on the controller but the pumps do not run?

reefer333_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find a solution to this. I have two nero 5's with a V3 for each. Keeps the light on the controller but the pumps do not run?
Neros will need 24v to run. I think V3 is only 12V, it will not work. From what I read, V2 may work since it is 24V, but they discontinued it.

What I ended up doing was (after reading another thread in r2r) use tunze safety battery backup connector and two 12v battery running in series.

ssster2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired the V3 Icecap battery backup. I connected my Nero3 up to it and I can assure you the pump is running.
I disconnected the pump power supply from the controller and then connected the backup to the controller using the "short" cable supplied by Icecap. Plug the battery backup to a power supply and the Nero will turn.
I can't tell how much power the pump is producing but looking the effect on the corals it looks to me like the flow is the same as always.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired the V3 Icecap battery backup. I connected my Nero3 up to it and I can assure you the pump is running.
I disconnected the pump power supply from the controller and then connected the backup to the controller using the "short" cable supplied by Icecap. Plug the battery backup to a power supply and the Nero will turn.
I can't tell how much power the pump is producing but looking the effect on the corals it looks to me like the flow is the same as always.
Can you confirm this?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back