NeveSSL's Red Sea XXL 750 V3 Build!

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... finally building another big tank. I started in the hobby way back in 2006 and, like many, I've been in and out of the hobby over those years. I have a 45g JBJ Rimless setup right now. I was wanting to build a 310g peninsula style tank, but had a used Red Sea Reefer XXL 750 G2 in white pop up for sale locally that was a really great deal. It's basically a 180g, but they call it a 160g (I think they use the interior dimensions of the glass and most everyone inaccurately uses the outer dimensions). I love how ready to go this thing is. The G2s have 3/4" glass, too, so I feel comfortable using it. I pick it up Saturday. My plan is to move my current tank to a different wall in my dining room and then slow-walk this build. Want to make sure my aquascape is as good as it can be more than anything. I usually rush through the aquascape, and I refuse to do that this time. Fortunately my brother is good at aquascaping and we live near each other for the first time in a while, so I will be employing his skills. lol

For equipment, I'm considering something other than Neptune for control. Hoping to get this wet within a few weeks of setting it up, but I also know I'll have to order some more rock, a return pump, and maybe some sand. Not sure I have enough rock and sand. We'll see. :) Also already have the giant Red Sea skimmer I bought 2 years ago for the 310g... it may not fit and I may have to get something else. We'll see. Haha! Also planning on getting the slide out control panel from Red Sea, I think. May DIY one. Planning on dosing kalk (not topping off, but dosing) to begin with. Then I'll likely switch to a CaRX if I need one, or maybe 2 part. Also know I'll be making water changes easy, if not automatic. Automatic isn't as efficient as manual, but may be worth it to not have to do it at all. If it's manual, I'm hoping to just have it be simple "Turn this valve to drain, turn this valve to fill" type thing. We'll see. I have a 50g cylinder tank now. May upgrade that to 100g tanks or may just stack two 275g food grade totes. Not sure yet. Anyway...

I'll share some pics later. More updates to come after I pick it up Saturday!

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my 45g JBJ moved last night and got my Red Sea moved in today! Turns out it's a V3 and not a G2, but not a huge deal as the V3s were also beefed up compared to the units that tend to have seal issues, and I got it a bit cheaper because of it.

Sourced a pair of MP40s and a complete Apex setup today, too. Using the money I saved on the tank to help pay for those.

Thinking about Kessil W360Xes and an AI Prime blade or two for lighting. Was going to do a hybrid T5 setup, but I think I'd rather not have to change bulbs and a Blade Glow sounds like it would be great. Maybe I'll still do two T5s, too. We'll see.

Anyway, much more to come! Going to start cleaning my old sand tomorrow and maybe start soaking my rocks I've bought used that need to be cleaned, too. Oh, and I need to level the tank and stand tomorrow so I can put the sump back in and get the extra support and doors on.

20230429_132115.jpg

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More progress today! I got my old sand cleaned and is now in a 55g food safe barrel with some bleach and the rest of my sand. Whew, that took some work to get cleaned out. Still need to level my stand. May do that tonight and/or tomorrow. Ordered some more rock and a return pump, today, too. Also secured an Apex and 2 MP40s from an old reefing friend of mine who is getting out. He has a DOS, too. It's coming together!

20230430_175053.jpg

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started leveling the stand today. It was a pain to get to the middle legs, but I digress. It seems to be level, but everything I have says something slightly different. ‍ I am going to try a few more levels tomorrow, but my phone and my iPad both say it's basically spot on. I do think it's probably good to go, but it's not easy to adjust, so I want to make triple sure. Not to mention I don't want any surprises later!

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! Skimmer fits! And there's still room to have the little tank on top.

20230504_005347.jpg

Also, got a new level and made sure the tank was level last night. Took a while, but I didn't want it to be off at all.

Hoping to start the aquascape this weekend. Planning on doing the "HNSA" type 'scape. I am determined to make it the best aquascape I can, and I'm also very tired of the pile of rocks method. Haha!

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New rock came in today. Return pump came in yesterday. Rinsed the old rock off yesterday and set it out to dry.

20230504_202740.jpg

Got the skimmer taken apart and let it take a vinegar soak. Well, everything except the main body and cup, anyway.

20230505_010741.jpg

Had a friend getting out of the hobby. He shipped his Apex, DOS, and two MP40s to me today. I'm unfortunately going out of town next week when even more of the goodies come in. It's coming together! I cannot wait to get this aquascape done and get it full of water!!!

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still chugging along... thinking about what I want from this tank and how to set it up to achieve as much. Gonis are a goal. I don't think I want to focus on SPS.

Been working on the aquascape. HSNA is hard. lol Going to have my brother help me with this as he tends to be better at this than I am. I'm also having a hardtime getting fragments of rock that AREN'T baseballs. Gonna keep trying. Also got some new sand to mix with my old sand. Put my bio balls in my current tank to assist with cycling the new one. I have a work trip at the end of the month to Vegas, so I think I'm gonna fill the tank up after we get back from that trip.

For lighting, going with Kessil for main lights and an AI Blade Grow instead of T5s. I may go all Radions at some point... they're on my list... maybe even Radions with the Kessils... Not sure yet. Still thinking about it. I was in Detroit for work last week and stopped by Cherry Corals to buy some zoas... they had XR15s over their zoa tank and it looked AWESOME. Clearly they're great lights, and now on the 6th gen, they're really coming along. Anyway...

/randomthoughtsaboutmytank

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a few weeks, but still making progress! I have most of the aquascape finished, just have to do the 3rd "section". Having a hard time getting it going. I'm really digging the negative space thing. LOTS more room for corals, too! Went ahead and ordered a Reef Mat 1200. I travel for work, so I won't always be there to do the cups, so why not? lol I believe I'll also work on automating two part with a Trident and a DOS. Also planning on dosing kalk, but will probably use a BRS dosing pump I already have for that. Video of the aquascape so far: There was a slight change to it after this, due to a rock mishap, but this is basically it so far. lol Brandon

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's been a few weeks, but still making progress! I have most of the aquascape finished, just have to do the 3rd "section". Having a hard time getting it going. I'm really digging the negative space thing. LOTS more room for corals, too! Went ahead and ordered a Reef Mat 1200. I travel for work, so I won't always be there to do the cups, so why not? lol I believe I'll also work on automating two part with a Trident and a DOS. Also planning on dosing kalk, but will probably use a BRS dosing pump I already have for that. Video of the aquascape so far: There was a slight change to it after this, due to a rock mishap, but this is basically it so far. lol Brandon

Wow! That's impressive!!

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Now to get it into the tank without it breaking!!!

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tap water test was successful! Had one O ring that I had to take out and reseat to keep it from leaking, but that was it!

20230613_195306.jpg

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally getting somewhere with this aqua scape!!! Not done, but getting close!!! The Tonga branch almost looks out of place, but I've been saving it for about 14 years, so I wanted to use it. Lol. Gonna work on incorporating it a bit better.

20230616_013559.jpg

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have water, salt, and tons of sediment!!! This sand is terrible. Lol. Oh well.

Attachments

• 20230619_204607.jpg
    20230619_204607.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the sand and water going last night, added salt and got the Apex started today. Also had to grab some fleece to start getting some of this sediment out.
20230619_215256.jpg

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the AP9X mounted! This is temporary. Gotta order some aluminum extrusion and get a full light rack built. I'm just happy to have some light over it. Will be moving animals this weekend, likely tomorrow!!! The pic is not accurate. It's nowhere near this saturated in person. :). Also going to be moving the Tonga branch around.

20230701_010523.jpg

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the fish over last night! Poured the bacteria in and bypassed the ReefMat. Will move some more stuff over today. Gotta get my ATO moved over, too. Getting there!

Brandon

Frea32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on doing a very similar build within the next month. Appreciate u taking the time to share!

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, guys!

blaxsun, how do you have everything organized under your tank? What did you put where?

Brandon

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back