New “new guy “ to saltwater

SamT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning everyone. Went to the pet store to get my daughter the aquasphere 360. Which we did but also left with the fluval saltwater 32 gallon kit. Lots of extras to go with it all. Tanks are all set up. Used RO water and the sand with the bacteria in it. I’m not happy with the rock/coral setup. I am going to pull it and use a large saw to slice it into PCs I’d like to try to stack it and make some “selfs”. I also got the red sea test multi testkit foundations pro and foundations supplements kit. also a nice refractometer check the salt levels. I was at 1.035 last night. I am thinking pulling a few gallons and adding some RO water to bring it down. As for the other tests on the water
I could have made mistakes testing but felt pretty good on how I did it.
Kh/alkalinity was - 3.9meg/L Dkh 10.9
Magnesium level was 1600ppm
Calcium was off the chart at 700.
The girlfriend would like todo some of the soft corals. The ones that move with the current of the water. Not sure on much else other then that. I know I’ll be reading lots of posts on here. If anyone has pointers feel free to send them.

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! Welcome. go slow. make sure to get your parameters stable before adding any corals or anemones.

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun.... :)

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning everyone. Went to the pet store to get my daughter the aquasphere 360. Which we did but also left with the fluval saltwater 32 gallon kit. Lots of extras to go with it all. Tanks are all set up. Used RO water and the sand with the bacteria in it. I’m not happy with the rock/coral setup. I am going to pull it and use a large saw to slice it into PCs I’d like to try to stack it and make some “selfs”. I also got the red sea test multi testkit foundations pro and foundations supplements kit. also a nice refractometer check the salt levels. I was at 1.035 last night. I am thinking pulling a few gallons and adding some RO water to bring it down. As for the other tests on the water
The girlfriend would like todo some of the soft corals. The ones that move with the current of the water. Not sure on much else other then that. I know I’ll be reading lots of posts on here. If anyone has pointers feel free to send them.
What refractomer are you using? Did you calibrate it?

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to the channel.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
S

SamT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Congrats on new tank! Elevated parameters more than likely caused by elevated salt mix levels. I would dilude as mentioned. Once you get it right let it cycle before adding any fish/coral.
I pulled a gallon out tonight and replaced it with water from the ro. I would had done more but it takes forever to get a gallon out of those lol. I’ll recheck levels when I get home tomorrow from work. I think I’ll take a sample to “that fish place that pet place” and compare it to my test. They are a nice store. I don’t think I’ll be adding anything for atleast a few weeks.

Back