New 14.26 gallon 3 weeks into cycle. I am in Jacksonville, FL. Also rebuilding a 55 gallon

TheFrag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I just got my 14.26 gallon tank 3 weeks ago my ammonia has dropped to 0, my nitrites are at 5ppm, and my nitrates are at 10 ppm. How much longer until nitrites drop. I’m doing a fish less cycle with live rock, live sand, Microbe Lift Nite Out 2, and Microbe Lift Special Blend.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!

goofy movie hello GIF

Last edited:

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most cycles will move very fast with a bacteria added usually faster than 3 weeks. What ammonia source did you use and how hi was it dosed? Also I’m not familiar with nite out is it a marine specific bacteria? I usually use bio-spira or dr Tim’s and they run a full cycle in 7-9 days on average.

OP
OP
TheFrag

TheFrag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I just got my 14.26 gallon tank 3 weeks ago my ammonia has dropped to 0, my nitrites are at 5ppm, and my nitrates are at 10 ppm. How much longer until nitrites drop. I’m doing a fish less cycle with live rock, live sand, Microbe Lift Nite Out 2, and Microbe Lift Special Blend.
C3565CFB-2C4D-4F5C-B4CE-E335DE2A3714.png

OP
OP
TheFrag

TheFrag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most cycles will move very fast with a bacteria added usually faster than 3 weeks. What ammonia source did you use and how hi was it dosed? Also I’m not familiar with nite out is it a marine specific bacteria? I usually use bio-spira or dr Tim’s and they run a full cycle in 7-9 days on average.
It is a nitrifying bacteria and I used a table shrimp

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it’s for marine so I would dose more you cant overdose beneficial bacteria a lot of products recommend like 5 mls a day for x amount of tank water I usually dose a full 3 oz bottle to a ten gallon tank in two days. I’m also not a real fan of shrimp as a ammonia source because there is a simpler way by dosing pure ammonia and you have a number ppm of ammonia to work with when you test you can see 1 ppm of ammonia break down and it’s measurable. Your cycle is probably running just fine it’s taking a bit longer because the shrimp had to break down to produce ammonia and that takes more time than just adding pure ammonia. Keep watching nitrite when it’s gone your good to go

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back