New 14.26 gallon 3 weeks into cycle. I am in Jacksonville, FL. Also rebuilding a 55 gallon

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the fishy family! You are off to a great start. Remember that this is a marathon, not a race. Good things come to those who slow down to enjoy.
Technical Skills Race GIF by BoxMedia.io

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I just got my 14.26 gallon tank 3 weeks ago my ammonia has dropped to 0, my nitrites are at 5ppm, and my nitrates are at 10 ppm. How much longer until nitrites drop. I’m doing a fish less cycle with live rock, live sand, Microbe Lift Nite Out 2, and Microbe Lift Special Blend.
Hi there! Fellow newbie here. Welcome to the forum.

A high enough level of nitrite can slow down nitrification and stunt the growth of nitrifying microbes. At what level depends on individual species (and which enzyme(s) they have), and a bunch of parameters. According to Dr. Tim, 5ppm is the level where this inhibition for nitrifying bacteria occurs: https://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling/.

I don't really think this applies to ALL nitrifying microbes found in our aquariums, and I normally don't recommend water changes because they are generally not necessary, but if your nitrite levels are high enough to inhibit the cycling process significantly, it might be worth it. Especially since if you are measuring 5ppm nitrites with your test, there is a chance it can be way higher than that.

You can try serial dilution to determine more exactly what your nitrite concentration is. Start with mixing half 'clean' water and half tank water, and measure what the nitrite concentration of that is. Multiply by 2, and you get the original true measure.

If not, you could just wait it out. I feel like I have seen others who have not done water changes even when nitrite hits 5ppm, and eventually their tank still cycled. So yeah. Just thought I'd throw in this info for your consideration, what you opt to do is up to you.

OP
OP
TheFrag

TheFrag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it’s for marine so I would dose more you cant overdose beneficial bacteria a lot of products recommend like 5 mls a day for x amount of tank water I usually dose a full 3 oz bottle to a ten gallon tank in two days. I’m also not a real fan of shrimp as a ammonia source because there is a simpler way by dosing pure ammonia and you have a number ppm of ammonia to work with when you test you can see 1 ppm of ammonia break down and it’s measurable. Your cycle is probably running just fine it’s taking a bit longer because the shrimp had to break down to produce ammonia and that takes more time than just adding pure ammonia. Keep watching nitrite when it’s gone your good to go
Thank you just dumped the rest in

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome15.png

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I just got my 14.26 gallon tank 3 weeks ago my ammonia has dropped to 0, my nitrites are at 5ppm, and my nitrates are at 10 ppm. How much longer until nitrites drop. I’m doing a fish less cycle with live rock, live sand, Microbe Lift Nite Out 2, and Microbe Lift Special Blend.
Welcome! So impressed you are already doing the right things. Enjoyed reading thru the posts you received and replies you offered. You are in the right spot! Look forward to hearing about your successes!

Back