New 14 g Nano tank Stock

Sebsauce

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I am new to saltwater but have a few freshwater tanks. I am currently cycling a 14g AIO tank! I wanted your advice on stocking the tank as I know it is small. I wanted to add coral in the future aswell.
My like an ideal stock would be somthing like this:
Two clown fish
Dart fish
A pistol shrimp and yellow watchman goby
also with some snails,crab,shrimps
If you have any suggestions for different fish or anything let me know.
I want to know what I should add first as I head that aggression can occur. I was reading that pistol shrimp can be quite "snappy" but I am not sure.
I would love some advice on this!
thank you!

reefpunk707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I am new to saltwater but have a few freshwater tanks. I am currently cycling a 14g AIO tank! I wanted your advice on stocking the tank as I know it is small. I wanted to add coral in the future aswell.
My like an ideal stock would be somthing like this:
Two clown fish
Dart fish
A pistol shrimp and yellow watchman goby
also with some snails,crab,shrimps
If you have any suggestions for different fish or anything let me know.
I want to know what I should add first as I head that aggression can occur. I was reading that pistol shrimp can be quite "snappy" but I am not sure.
I would love some advice on this!
thank you!
Your fish list sounds solid. The clowns should go in at the same time if you add more than one. Some blennies are fun fish for a small tank too. I especially like the tailspot blenny. I recently added a pistol shrimp to pair with a hi fin goby and I'm super glad I did. They are cool to see together. They snap surprisingly loud but it isn't annoying or startling to me at least so far haha.

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I'm starting my saltwater adventure with a 14gal AIO as well :)

From my research it sounds like the commonly kept pistol shrimps are pretty reef safe, but I think they might go after other small shrimps.
I am planning to keep a pistol/goby pair too, look forward to seeing how your tank progresses!

OP
OP
Sebsauce

Sebsauce

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 fish in a tank that size is quite a lot. Ditch the firefish as the YWG/Pistol pair is fun to watch.
Okay sounds good! I was thinking of ditching that fish because the others I really want.
Welcome! I'm starting my saltwater adventure with a 14gal AIO as well :)

From my research it sounds like the commonly kept pistol shrimps are pretty reef safe, but I think they might go after other small shrimps.
I am planning to keep a pistol/goby pair too, look forward to seeing how your tank progresses!
Awesome! what are you planning on getting for your stocking!

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! what are you planning on getting for your stocking!
I'm looking at the tangaroa goby, although I'm not absolutely set on that yet. Personally I like to have smaller fish, so I'm looking at the gobies that are no more than 3" :) with a candy cane pistol!

I might add a banggai or pyjama cardinal as well, although I'm not sure yet - I'll see how I feel about the look of the tank once it's stocked. I like the idea of not seeing everything at once when you look at the tank, so I want to stick to small fishes that I have to search for!

What tank did you get?

OP
OP
Sebsauce

Sebsauce

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at the tangaroa goby, although I'm not absolutely set on that yet. Personally I like to have smaller fish, so I'm looking at the gobies that are no more than 3" :) with a candy cane pistol!

I might add a banggai or pyjama cardinal as well, although I'm not sure yet - I'll see how I feel about the look of the tank once it's stocked. I like the idea of not seeing everything at once when you look at the tank, so I want to stick to small fishes that I have to search for!

What tank did you get?
Nice I have the Innovative marine tank! I am hopping its done cycling for boxing day!

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 15gal AIO and had 2 clowns, ymg/pistol pair, cleaner shrimp and a fire red shrimp. Fun to watch. Tbh I wouldn’t get another pistol shrimp because mine is ticking me off as every night he digs like 20 holes all over my tank. I thought he would stop after the first like week but nope. Pretty much nightly still after a month. He also never comes out so I never see him anyways.
In a tank that small get a candy cane pistol, not a tiger pistol. They are super cool to see them, but for me I wouldn’t do it again. Just my 2 cents and welcome!!

OP
OP
Sebsauce

Sebsauce

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15gal AIO and had 2 clowns, ymg/pistol pair, cleaner shrimp and a fire red shrimp. Fun to watch. Tbh I wouldn’t get another pistol shrimp because mine is ticking me off as every night he digs like 20 holes all over my tank. I thought he would stop after the first like week but nope. Pretty much nightly still after a month. He also never comes out so I never see him anyways.
In a tank that small get a candy cane pistol, not a tiger pistol. They are super cool to see them, but for me I wouldn’t do it again. Just my 2 cents and welcome!!
Hmm okay ! Yea I hear many mixed reviews ! but i guess it all really depends on each one. Thanks for the welcome!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back