New 150 build! Questions and Suggestions for a SC 150

prcardinal91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello fellow reefers. I am in the process of pricing out a new build for a 150 gallon. My current tank is a 75g with a 30 long sump. I drilled this tank, plumbed it, built the stand, built the sump so I have some experience with that aspect. I am leaning (heavily) towards the SC 150 measuring 60x24x24. Going with the tank drilled for the shadow overflow. Possibly a 40 breeder sump.

I know the transfer will be a challenge, but I'm thinking at most it will take 2 days to transfer.

Here is my plan for the build and transfer:
Build the 150 in advance as much as I can in the garage - Stand, plumbing, sump, wiring/equipment layout etc.
Have about 150 gallons of new saltwater ready.
Transfer rock, livestock (fish will go in separate buckets), and water to a 100 gallon holding tank with heater and circulation pumps.
Take out old sand and rinse completely with RODI.
Move 75 gallon setup and assemble 150 in its place.
Finishing plumbing in the final location may be a time set back for pvc glue to dry.
Add rock scape with corals
Add clean and new sand
Add water

Does this plan sound functional? I have Never have done a transfer with big tanks. I have about 70 lbs of Fiji liverock in the display tank, thirteen 2-inch marine pure bricks in the sump, and another 10 lbs of rock in the refugium with a huge clump of cheato.

My 75 is a mixed reef, but I have a bunch of sps frags, mini colonies, and large colonies in there. Black box lighting. Corals are growing nicely IMO under 400 ish par at peak.
I want the new 150 to be geared towards sps. I am thinking of using the Noopsyche k7 3s and getting 4 of them. Is this enough power for a SPS dominant tank? I have no experience with Noops and don't want to spend 3 grand on radions, but want to get away from "generic" black boxes.

I'm going to have a ton more questions on the transfer and build, but I wanted to get the ball rolling on this thread. I'll share some more of my ideas regarding equipment as the thread goes on. Any insight on the transfer or experience with the SC 150 tank setups appreciated.

My 75 is pictured as of a few days ago under the blues.
20210813_203620.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats a lot of coral. Going to be a scary transfer.
You will want all the display's water you can keep for the transfer. It will help your more sensitive coral.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with the Noopsyche lights growing SPS?

there is a FB page with many ppl growing all times of coral with them. I would join and talk to folks who have done it.

the 150 SCA is a nice tank for sure are you going full rimless or euro braced? there are lots of reefers on there with the same tank I would cheak out there threads for inspiration and tip and tricks.

everything take longer than you think...always does I would get the holding tank set up so the corals and fish & you have a few days. that mean flow, heat if needed lights and cover dont want your other pets going for a swing or fishing.

I would have the stand build ahead of time giving plenty of time for paint/stain to dry.
also be sure it will fit through doors dbl check for the tank to just to be safe.

I would also have the sump built too. a 40br is a nice choice cheao easy and does the job. sure custom sumps are nice and all but sure can save $$ going 40br.
if you are using glass for the baffiels be sure to get the correct silicone and give it time to cure.

nest I would have your plumbing mocked up get all the supplies maybe even a few extra always can return. so many of use go to the store a few times in a plumbing job. so have what you need and a plan.

make sure your holding tank will fit and support all the LR,corals and fish. maybe a cpl 40br if there are other reefers near you thay prob. have one setting around you to borrow. dont let you lights fall into the holding tank. get that figured out 1st have what you need to make it work.

I would have holding tank set up and ready to go, move live stock LR and fish over get life support going flow heat and lights

then tank out sand move 75 place new stand and tank and start the plumbing
. you will have to let your plubing cure for a min. of 24hr maybe longer if you are hard plumbing. hence why your holding tank will need to maintain the fish and corals.

while that is cure you can if you have extra Sw rince your sand if not I would just use RO or even FW with a final rince in RODI. there is a big thread all about that on here alot of nano and med. size tanks so if often to keep in nice and clean.

leak teat your plumbing! let sustem run for another 24hr if all good start then start the transfer.
IMHO dont be in a rush with the scape if you dont love it it will bug you for the life of your tank. If you are adding more rock to it would have some NSA style scapes pre-built add them then the LR sand let settle mach prams then all the corals and fish.

that is how i would do it. but in the past i have just did everything in a few hours and it all turned out...probably just luck tho.

its the putting the tank in the spot of the 75 that is a real kicker here. is that the best place for it?

maybe just have 2 tanks??...haha

OP
OP
P

prcardinal91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The only spot for the 150 is where the 75 is. Yes definitely a pain.

Plan is basically everything you described. Mock the tank up completely then once it's fully done start the transfer. I just ordered the tank. I'm thinking by October I will be ready to install it. Taking my time with the build and doing it right.

The 100 gallon holding tank should be able to support my needs indefinitely, although I plan to transfer as quickly and efficiently as possible.

I think the most challenging part will be the scape. I have so many corals that are attached and encrusted on to my LR. I am debating on prepping some dry rock to add, but not sure. I want to have a less "chunky" looking scape. The 75 scape is chunky with minimal pass throughs. Not sure how much more rock I want to have. I really want my sticks to be the scape

OP
OP
P

prcardinal91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here is a list of equipment I am planning to use:
SC 150 - 60x24x24
Custom 40 breeder sump
Eheim 1262 return pump
2 6095 Tunze powerheads
1 4k Icecap Gyre
1 2k Icecap Gyre
Regal 200 INT 8" Varios Reef Octo Skimmer
2 BRS 300 watt Titanium heaters with Inkbird controller
4 Noopsyche v3 Lights
4 channel Jebao Doser

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Here is a list of equipment I am planning to use:
SC 150 - 60x24x24
Custom 40 breeder sump
Eheim 1262 return pump
2 6095 Tunze powerheads
1 4k Icecap Gyre
1 2k Icecap Gyre
Regal 200 INT 8" Varios Reef Octo Skimmer
2 BRS 300 watt Titanium heaters with Inkbird controller
4 Noopsyche v3 Lights
4 channel Jebao Doser
Your plan sounds good man. I just did a transfer that took 5 hours. 88 gallon RS 425xl to a SCA 150.

Immediately it was worth it . You’ll love it. However I used the 24 gallon sump the Red Sea comes with and surprisingly it holds all the water without any issues during power outage. I’m still debating if I want to spend another $600 on a sump if this one is working?

As far as the transfer bro. I used x4 of the 45 gallon trash cans. I prepped all saltwater night before and had them all mixing for 24 hours. Temperature was a degree or less off.

Moving the tank and placing it in the same spot I had the Red Sea was tough but we did it with 4 people and a 1000 lb furniture dolley.

By getting the dolley you can have your people place the aquarium on its back and roll it in. Unless you install the bulkheads when it’s where you want it in the house but I wanted them installed outside so I could dry fit the plumbing and then plumb everything how I wanted it. If you do it in the house you will smell the house up with strong pvc cement which is bad to inhale. With the bulkheads installed and hanging 7” off the bottom of the tank the only way to wheel it in the house was on the back side.

OP
OP
P

prcardinal91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sweet looking tank man. How long have you had it running for? I'm so pumped to get mine set up.

I'm planning to use unions where I can in order to have as much of the plumbing glued up when its not in the house. My plan is to also use trash cans for the new saltwater I will need to make and add. Probably going to drill holes in the floor so I can pump up water for water changes directly under the tank.

The tank I ordered is http://www.scaquariums.com/SCA-150-Gallon-Starfire-Tank-p/sca-150g-go.htm

So its slightly different with the overflow. I chose this tank for the added real-estate and for flow along the back pane to eliminate possible dead spots.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Sweet looking tank man. How long have you had it running for? I'm so pumped to get mine set up.

I'm planning to use unions where I can in order to have as much of the plumbing glued up when its not in the house. My plan is to also use trash cans for the new saltwater I will need to make and add. Probably going to drill holes in the floor so I can pump up water for water changes directly under the tank.

The tank I ordered is http://www.scaquariums.com/SCA-150-Gallon-Starfire-Tank-p/sca-150g-go.htm

So its slightly different with the overflow. I chose this tank for the added real-estate and for flow along the back pane to eliminate possible dead spots.
Just a week.

yeah I was going to tell you to add lots of unions of course.

That’s awesome man so your basement will be it’s water change station?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I threw all my sand out.

I always wanted a bare bottom with SPS , lots of flow.

You should lay your sand first

OP
OP
P

prcardinal91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just got 3 philips coral care gen 2s in the mail. Brs had a sale. Should be interesting to completely cover the top with these. Here's my stand so far. Need to make the cabinet doors next

Attachments

• 20210913_185208.jpg
    20210913_185208.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210912_183611.jpg
    20210912_183611.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
P

prcardinal91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Awesome. Lots of similarities with the 150 set up/plans. My last brs order came in today but I'm pretty sure my skimmer is on back order. Reef octo 22 elite. Waiting for that to come in so I can size my sump baffles accordingly

OP
OP
P

prcardinal91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One more coat of poly to go and the stand is done. Sump is going to be built this week and I will start on the hard plumbing

Attachments

• 20210926_175137.jpg
    20210926_175137.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210926_175421.jpg
    20210926_175421.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 48
Back