OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking build! how are you liking the filter roller? I can't seem to find any information on it or what the difference is between the old bubble magnus and the new one.
Thank you. Yeah, I really like the filter roller. It makes things a whole lot easier and keeps my sump a lot cleaner.
From what I can tell, the difference with the gen 2 model is the motor assembly and the water input uses an American sized PVC fitting.

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally have some time to post. It has been crazy lately.
Anyway I got rid of the bucket for my ATO water and bought a 10 gallon plexi container. It fits a lot nicer in the space and has double the capacity. I also put it on a drawer slide to make filling easier.
48B08017-791C-4F0B-9C16-61A7EE576504.jpeg
B7C0FBDC-899F-42EE-851A-EE782DC7BF5F.jpeg

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to replace my ATO system. It was the older version of the Tunze Osmolator. I bought the newer version.
while I was at it, I built a stand for the pump that also holds three float switches. I want to make a pumped refill system that brings water up from the RODI filter in the basement. That way no more bringing up buckets.
E62E49C2-D272-469D-841B-F64954800ABF.jpeg

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also tried something out for the first time.
I had a food spill a couple months ago that caused an algae outbreak.
But I was just way too busy to be cleaning it every day as I normally would. I had a bunch of pinhole leaks develop in our houses plumbing because of our well water (slightly acidic). So I was busy replumbing the whole house with PEX and installing a new tankless water heater. So no extra time for the fish tank.
Anyway, I decided to just let the algae grow. And I would just pull big clumps out as I could. Anyway the algae grew until it depleted all of the nutrients. When I saw that it was starting to recede, I did a major cleaning. And the tank looks great again.
This experience had me reconsidering how I’ve dealt with algae in the past.

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank! Your attention to detail is inspiring.
I'm a big fan of the SCA 150! Mine is coming up on two years old now. It's fun to experience new builds with people.
Nice job!

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick video update. Everyone seems happy and the tank is very stable. So now I will start to stock it up slowly. The whole family is really enjoying it. I’m excited about getting more fish but my wife loves corals. Can’t wait to get some more inverts too.

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pouring rain outside and I was feeling a little crafty so I cut the holes in my nori pouch feeder (two little fishies) bigger. Some holes big, some remain small; that way all the fish have a share, not just the tangs.
4C1CCF43-C58C-4D74-83F7-867E447CF158.jpeg

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build. Following along. Have you had any problems with the coral beauty or flame angel nipping at corals?
Thanks!
I only have the flame angle….so far he’s been a model citizen. The corals are doing well except my Catalaphylia is not happy right now. I had a swing in alkalinity after one of the hoses slipped off of the dozer. It only went from 8.5 to 7. Not to bad but bad enough.

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer is in place. Seems to be working. I also harvested a bowling ball sized ball of cheato.
Putting in a refugium is one of the best things I’ve done. It really made things stable.
772830A1-28C0-4EDA-BEF1-6E2B7FB9558C.jpeg

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One week update for my new skimmer. I’m very happy with it. It was by far the easiest one to set up and is very stable. It’s nice and quiet too.
I have it set to 70% and to skim dry. No overflows or unexpected events….very predictable. Definitely pulling out some dark stinkiness.
87B7E76D-7021-4073-9CD6-F79F7323AC55.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back