New 15G setup question about cycle! Test pics included

bradzx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just set up my first mantis tank and had a couple questions regarding my water test considering this Is my first salt nano tank.. ive added Live sand , live rock from a buddys tank that has well established bacteria and also a who bottle of Fritz turbo purple bottle to jump start the cycle and also a half bottle of bio-Sperra bacteria as well.. I added A thawed shrimp to the tank to help feeding the bacteria and two damsels yellow.. these are my reading day 4.5 ...any info would be helpful seems like the ammonia is doing its job of breaking down to nitrates ... what is the next step ? remove shrimp and wait for nitrates and nitrites to go back down and cycle is done ?

image.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't have the shrimp with the damsels. That creates a lot of ammonia. Honestly I would just do a water change and add some prime to male the ammonia not toxic. You could add some more bacteria too (I would do both). After that just keep watching until ammonia and nitrite are gone

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be well cycled with adding live rock and that much bottled bacteria. The test results are normal for cycling. The ammonia is showing, but API test kits usually show some. Don't worry about the nitrites... they are converting to nitrates. The only way to get rid of nitrates in a new system is to do a water change.

I'd remove the dead shrimp... then do a large water change.

OP
OP
B

bradzx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be well cycled with adding live rock and that much bottled bacteria. The test results are normal for cycling. The ammonia is showing, but API test kits usually show some. Don't worry about the nitrites... they are converting to nitrates. The only way to get rid of nitrates in a new system is to do a water change.

I'd remove the dead shrimp... then do a large water change.
Thanks about a 25% change ?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks about a 25% change ?
Around 5-10g should be good... depends how high your nitrates are and where you want to end up with them. Shooting for around 5-10ppm is good target

OP
OP
B

bradzx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around 5-10g should be good... depends how high your nitrates are and where you want to end up with them. Shooting for around 5-10ppm is good target
Sounds good!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back