New 180g + 67g Add-On Build: An Exercise in Patience

ctpeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

This is the first time I've posted anything of substantial length that will require updates, but I want to give it a shot documenting something I thought would never happen when I first started this hobby with a 65G DSA rimless: mega upgrade.

So, here's the deal: I started reefing three years ago and built of a nice collection of mini colonies, frags and even largeish colonies of about 70 different acropora. I started with a mixed tank, and over time, just kept obsessing about MOAR ACROS. Being a beginning reefer, I was using the cheapest methods I could find. Black box lights, jebao pumps, jebao doser etc. AND MY ACROS WERE COLORED UP BRILLIANTLY AND HAD VIGOROUS GROWTH. (This isn't my soapbox for going the cheap route, I just wanted to note that I had an awesome experience despite not starting off with the best. I've since upgraded, because #reefaddiction, duh.) Over time, naturally, I needed more space, so I bought a used 135g tank from an LFS, which shall not be named. I got it set up, got all my acros in, sold off the rest of the LPS and was on my way to reef happiness.

This is the part where I wish the story ended with me riding off into a pink sunset. However, there were other things in store for me. Chiefly a flare in the seam of the glass on the bottom of the tank that I did not catch when I bought it, and...drumroll....Acropora Eating Flatworms. The amount of vitriol I have for these little organisms cannot be quantified. Horrified, I hoped against hope that a recent in-tank miracle discovery would work. I spent six weeks, double and triple-dosing the tank. I lost colonies. Flatworms flourished in seeming unlimited numbers. I wanted to give up.

Enter a different LFS. I had sold him a massive Jedi Mind Trick colony last year and he accidently left his wallet at my house after he bought it. I drove it up to him at the store and we hit it off well, and I've been using them ever since. So, hearing about my woes, they came to my house, bagged up every acro, set up a quarantine at the store and have been dipping my corals for the last two months.

So, naturally, I've been staring at an empty tank with a flare on the bottom, and we all know that that won't do. So, I did the only logical thing, and decided to get a Planet Aquarium 180 center overflow as well as a 67g custom tank to plumb into the system for frags. While I was at it, I also went with a Trigger Saphire 39. To top it off, a local custom stand builder offered to teach me how to do exactly what I want to get the desired cabinet I have in mind and will help me with the build. Lastly, I'm doing a slow switch over to XR15 Gen 4 Pro's, as well as MP40's. Gotta do it slow though, cuz budget.

So, since I'm local to Planet Aquarium, they are going to deliver to the LFS and we are going to start the install in the next week or two. I just want to document it this time and share with y'all as I go along.

Q3Nutbsw.jpeg

^Sure do miss these guys! Thanks for following along y'all!

Seminoles76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it’s going to be a lot of fun and a great tank to go with. Hopefully, it will be a rewarding g journey with no worm fiascos along the way!!!!!!
Can’t wait to see how it turns out. Hoping your LFS will have the acrid ready to go when your set up!

OP
OP
ctpeasy

ctpeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man! Grateful for the help they are offering, and hope to get back to rainbow that was my tank not too long ago.

VA5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMPORTANT!!!
If your tank is over a floor with a space beneath (basement or crawl space ) you will need to reinforce the beams.
I had a 300 gallon put in less than a year ago and the person swore I did not need to reinforce the beams (he has been installing tanks for 30 years)
I’ve had my floor warp and now need a new tank ( 380 custom glass cage ). I wish I went with my gut and had the floor reinforced before hand.
The structural engineer thought anything past 120 needs reinforcing and the LFS doing the new tank said anything past 200 (this is sum of tanks and refugiums)
Lastly if you are installing it yourself you need to level everything.
Sorry to hear about your issues, just wanted to state these things to avoid what happened to myself.

OP
OP
ctpeasy

ctpeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMPORTANT!!!
If your tank is over a floor with a space beneath (basement or crawl space ) you will need to reinforce the beams.
I had a 300 gallon put in less than a year ago and the person swore I did not need to reinforce the beams (he has been installing tanks for 30 years)
I’ve had my floor warp and now need a new tank ( 380 custom glass cage ). I wish I went with my gut and had the floor reinforced before hand.
The structural engineer thought anything past 120 needs reinforcing and the LFS doing the new tank said anything past 200 (this is sum of tanks and refugiums)
Lastly if you are installing it yourself you need to level everything.
Sorry to hear about your issues, just wanted to state these things to avoid what happened to myself.

Hey there! Thanks for the advice! I have a slab, so thankfully, at most I will do some minor leveling. Sorry to hear about your crappy situation. :( I hope you are able to get it resolved without too much heart-ache.

Forgive how much purple is in this picture. The black boxes had a LOT of UV. I cant stress enough how colored up thins actually were. I had a random rainbow tenuis colony in there that put Walt Disney to shame....naturally it was on of the first to go from the worms.... :..(

IMG_1609.JPG

OP
OP
ctpeasy

ctpeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I know it's been a while since I posted. But had to wait for the tank to get done! 180g Planet Aquarium with Crystalline Glass and center overflow. Went with the tideline drain and overflow kit. As you can see in the picture, Saphire 39 is done and ready to rock.

IMG_0511.JPG
But next, the stand. My friend does custom aquarium cabinets and woodwork and offered to teach me how to build a stand. Shoutout to Johnny Morton Woodworks! Here are some of the progress shots:

IMG_0463.JPG IMG_0465.JPG IMG_0467.JPG IMG_0516.JPG

So, as you can see, I'm going for a sleek look. I know the wood grain isn't running the same on the first door which was my bad haha. Luckily I'm not staining, and will be painting this bad boy. I am putting a window into that door as well, denoted by the following picture. The goal is to have a blue LED strip backlit box inside the stand that will be illuminated and seen from the outside for all of my electronics and such.

IMG_0528.JPG

Additionally, a seamless door was just added to the side panel as well to accommodate the sump.

OP
OP
ctpeasy

ctpeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on what color to paint this? I was going to go with black...

OP
OP
ctpeasy

ctpeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok all.

Things are progressing. I know this isn't exactly part of the build, but I got to go take pictures of some of the strains of acro that are going to be going in this system, and man am I STOKED. I got to get some up close shots, and I gotta say, these are stunning!!! Patience is going to be so hard for me hahahaha.

CFB - Ultra Cake
Walt Disney
CFB - Kryptonic Superman
Strawberry Shortcake

;Drool;Drool;Drool;Drool

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

Josh Burnett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super pumped to see this tank finished and the progress along the way. Hope you don't quit at the build and give us equipment and plumbing shots, initial start up, progress, then FULL BLOWN ACROPORA TANK SHOTS!!!!!!!

@ctpeasy got me into reefing then immediately into SPS. I, on the other hand, have been cursed by the reefing gods up until lately. Super stoked to see him grow out his dream acro tank..... and to get some frags ;)

KEEP....US....UPDATED

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back