New 187g Reef Build - Back to the hobby

Kush3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im finishing up my basement and in the process im putting in a new 187g reef tank with a 75 gallon sump, I would like this to be a stable mixed reef tank that is primarily sps but will have others types if i have lower flow areas due to aquascape. Over the last few months i have been gather tons of info (since ive been out of the hobby for over 10 years) as well as buy TONS of new gear to set this system up right with little maintenance and lots of redundancies. I finally got my tank in and super excited to start setting things up but my basement is a couple weeks away so figured this was a good time to start asking questions and post everything i have so far.

My Display tank is a 187 Gallon custom tank (60in length x 30in wide x 24in tall) with a synergy reef shadow overflow v3. My sump is a synergy reef sk-60 (75 gallons). I have 4 MP40s i will be using inside the tank for flow. I have a neptune apex that will monitor my tank, with a dos for auto water changes, neptune ATO kit and a cor 15 pump on my mixing station. I currently only have one clarisea sk5000 gen 3 fleece roller mat (plan on having two if needed) but can also use filter socks if needed.

I havent purchased any return pumps yet, which leads me into my first question, how much flow do people look for now a days in a mixed reef tank like this? Trying to decide if i should get two pumps or one big one. I kinda like the idea of two in case one goes out though.

I have a mixing station ive setup for this system with a 50 gallon RO storage tank and a 75 gallon saltwater storage tank. I will most likely use the 50 gallon side for an ATO with the 75 gallon being used with a neptune apex and dos for auto water changes. Station is also setup to do manual one time water changes if needed using the cor 15 pump. I have a 7 stage 150 GPD RODI unit that is suppling all the water from a utility sink being plumbed into a storage room behind the tank where all the filtration, sump and equipment will be kept.

With all this i didnt mention lights but i havent forgotten those. I have been trying to figure out which lights i want, but im leaning towards a pair of Radion XR30 G6 lights above the tank. I would like to go all led to avoid needing a cooler. In my past i had Metal Halide and T5s, in fact i still have my old light from my last tank i had but was really eyeballing some new lights since where im putting the tank will only be able to see the stand (with decor under it due to the style my wife is going for in the basement), tank and lights, everything else will be hidden behind a wall in a room (fish room) as my wife likes to call it.

Im currently working on my HNSA aquascape (yea thats a new one i didnt know about before but is super cool looking). I will share pictures when its further along to get opinions and thoughts.

And finally here are some pictures of the stuff i have so far. Happy to be here on R2R and look forward to chat with people to figure out the last few things i need. Thanks in advance everyone!

Tank 1.jpg
Stand 1.jpg
sump.jpg
Mixing station 1.jpg
Mixing station.jpg

zpete3323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to see this build! Solid dimensions and love the accent colors!

Definately would go with dual returns. I love the vectra pumps and would think that 2 M2 pumps would be more than plenty. Have an M1 and a L1 combo on my 4-500g frag system at 80%.

OP
OP
K

Kush3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to see this build! Solid dimensions and love the accent colors!

Definately would go with dual returns. I love the vectra pumps and would think that 2 M2 pumps would be more than plenty. Have an M1 and a L1 combo on my 4-500g frag system at 80%.
yea the vectras were definitely one of the ones i was looking at. i just wasnt sure if i needed to spend the money on 2 L2's or if two of the M2's would be sufficient for the flow people want now. 10 years ago it was all about 10x turnover or more but it seems like that has gone down to more like 5x turnover or so.

I would like to be able to have a uv plumbed inline in one of the return lines (if this is still what is the best option for a uv) while the other return line just goes straight to my DT. I just want to make sure i dont mess up my turnover by trying to put a uv on one line. Or if there was a better way and having both pumps leading into the same return line was better. This is the main reason i havent bought return pumps yet. lol not sure what to do.

zpete3323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would get an L2 and an M2. Run them both in separate returns with the l2 feeding a gate valve to your uv back onto your sump (or possibly a third return). Little extra oomph on the l2 to run carbon/gfo reactor and the uv.

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same sump as you and a 180 display. I have 2 vectra s2 pumps. 1 direct back into the display, other goes to the display and a manifold to run carbon...etc. I plan on upgrading the one on the manifold to a m2 or l2 whenever the next sale happens. Running them both at 90% currently. Flow seems okay through my sk5000s but I did have to print some float switch holders to lower the switches even more than the ones synergy reef provided.

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, fwiw, I started with 1 sk5000 and a sock and didn't care for how much water still overflowed into the sock. If you start with 1 I'd love to know how this goes for you and if I just overlooked something.

OP
OP
K

Kush3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same sump as you and a 180 display. I have 2 vectra s2 pumps. 1 direct back into the display, other goes to the display and a manifold to run carbon...etc. I plan on upgrading the one on the manifold to a m2 or l2 whenever the next sale happens. Running them both at 90% currently. Flow seems okay through my sk5000s but I did have to print some float switch holders to lower the switches even more than the ones synergy reef provided.
Yea i have an L2 and M2 i plan on using. i got them at the last sale. lol. and interesting about printing parts to lower it more. i havent setup the sump yet so wasnt aware i needed something more. ill have to see how thing work out when i get it together.

OP
OP
K

Kush3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few updates on the build. So basement flooring is in and tank has been moved into position along with starting to setup my fish room behind the tank. Here are some pics of the newest updates to things. Waiting on plumbing parts then ill start plumbing this bad boy up.
IMG_2641.jpg IMG_2643.jpg IMG_2675 (1).jpg IMG_2678.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back