New 20g frag/coral QT tank

jaxredsoxfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally aquired all the equipment and set up my new 20g frag tank. It's got a gyre 1k, ai hydra prime, eheim heater, aqueon 30 hob filter. Not planning on running skimmer on this, at least at first. I mixed up 20g of new water for my DT and tomorrow I'll change water from the display and the old display water will fill the 20. I also put in 6lbs of base rock or so. Nothing going in the tank for a while so patience is no issue this time. Anything I should be concerned about here? Plan to just change water with old DT water every week. I'll post some pics tomorrow once its filled. Excited to have a new tank to play with...

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on the new frag tank! It sound like you have a good plan. Don't forget to feed the tank every once in a while (maybe once a week). If you're not sure how to do this then I recommend search for "how to feed a frag only tank". Good luck!

OP
OP
jaxredsoxfan

jaxredsoxfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Peace, I did a search and didn't come up with a post on feeding a frag only. My thought is I'll get some nutrient and trace elements from the water of my DT. Are you suggesting maybe reef rodi or equivalent feeding suppliment?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks Peace, I did a search and didn't come up with a post on feeding a frag only. My thought is I'll get some nutrient and trace elements from the water of my DT. Are you suggesting maybe reef rodi or equivalent feeding suppliment?

My thinking is that even if you don't have any fish or corals in the tank you still want to keep it in condition that you can drop either into your tank and it will be ready so you will want to make sure that there is enough food in the tank for the bacteria and to maintain the ecosystem.

OP
OP
jaxredsoxfan

jaxredsoxfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here she is in all her glory...lol
Frag_Tank_new.jpg

Frag_Tank_new.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back