New 20g Nano after 20 years

Gummy Ranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’ve recently gotten back into the hobby after a 20-year hiatus with a 20g Waterbox cube. I’m one week in, have 20 lbs of "live" sand and about 20 lbs of "life rock". I started the tank cycle with an ocellaris clown and a purple psuedo. Over the course of the first week, I added bio spira, fritzyme 9, & dr. tim's one and only. Yes, it might be overkill but I believe the more the merrier to jump-start the tank since real live rock isn't really an option anymore, and so far I am very happy with the results. Everything is going great and the cycle was done in five days (ammonia- nitrite spike and back to zero, nitrate steady at bout 15 ppm). At the advice of the owner of an LFS (amazingly helpful and friendly), I chose an AI prime 15, AI Nero 3, and titanium heater to round out the set-up. I am super excited to be back in the hobby. I had a successful 40g mixed reef in college 20 years ago, then joined the Army and have been moving all over the globe ever since. Getting close to retirement now and figured I could move a 20g with me once or twice before I settle down for good. A lot has changed in the reefing community but it seems like my copy of "the reef aquarium" is still relevant. This forum and other online resources have been super helpful and a wealth of information I wish I had back then.:)

IMG_0892.jpeg

IMG_0882.jpeg
IMG_0832.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back