New 20gal long reef tank

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set this tank up around 4-5 months ago and have been doing a ton of research sense! I always try to find threads pertaining to my concerns, but figured I’d get the best answers with a personalized thread. Any advice on care for the coral (mostly the ricordea and anemone) or even pairing the clownfish with the anemone would be awesome!

My green star polyps unexpectedly closed yesterday and only a few have opened back up. i haven’t tested calcium or alk since putting them in a few days ago, but there are no high demanding corals in the tank that absorb high levels of either, so I assumed that daily dosing would keep it stable. GSP not being opened makes me worry about the others.

the video is from yesterday at 6:00am when the lights turned off. The polyps closed a few hours later and didn’t open the rest of the day. Only a couple are open as of now. My clownfish has also been laying in the corner of the tank. However, nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia are all at 0. Ph is 8.3 and salinity is 1.025. I’ve read this is normal behavior for new clowns, but I’d like to be sure.

One more, less important, question. What is the coral next to my GSP? Are they just called palyps?

image.jpg
1BC99499-2DA5-459B-87D3-60D6D5ED267A.jpeg
AB11199E-7D13-4C04-81D3-EE6DF7015318.jpeg
Your tank looks too clean for soft corals plus the dkh is way to high as other people have suggested. Try to raise your nitrates as much as possible. Turning off the skimmer and only using filter floss on HOB would work great. I would also suggest keeping it as natural as possible, without dosing anything and only relying on water changes. Until you get SPS you can consider dosing.

OP
OP
Jaden9933

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks too clean for soft corals plus the dkh is way to high as other people have suggested. Try to raise your nitrates as much as possible. Turning off the skimmer and only using filter floss on HOB would work great. I would also suggest keeping it as natural as possible, without dosing anything and only relying on water changes. Until you get SPS you can consider dosing.
By filter floss, do you mean just the filter sleeve?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 5 gal water change but it’s still testing at 17 dKH. Was that not enough water? I thought that should’ve made some kind of difference
I think it should have changed a bit as well. IMO Api tests are not to be trusted though so maybe faulty test? Just checking for the water change you only did rodi + salt and checked results for salinity with refractometer and calibration solution hopefully?

OP
OP
Jaden9933

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it should have changed a bit as well. IMO Api tests are not to be trusted though so maybe faulty test? Just checking for the water change you only did rodi + salt and checked results for salinity with refractometer and calibration solution hopefully?
At this point a faulty test seems to be the only reasonable answer. And yes, I did all of that for the water change without any additives

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back