OP
DeniseAndy

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, the haddoni nems (3 in total) were moved to my 40g due to their appetite and my desire to have smaller fish in the 210g.

To update. I stupidly added a purple tang after only two weeks of separation and no treatment. It had been at the LFS for over three months and they said it came from a person that had it for years. So, idiotically, I added it to my system. Let's just say, not again.
I lost all my fish (captive bred guys) except two lemon damsels. I managed to get them through a hospital program and they are fine.
So, I began again. It took a 4 month fallow and a lot of emotional power to get through that time.
I also had tons of algae in the system, I could not get a handle on. I have never had so much. I was pulling rocks and scrubbing them with metal brushes, rinsing and putting back. Only to get them covered in gha within weeks. No fish, no feeding, AGHGHAHGHGHAHGHHG!!!

So, I redid the entire rock system. Took out all rocks. Put in new live rocks from the sump (no algae growth) and did a full clean of the rocks. Then moved to the sump to become live again. Oh, also changed out some of the sand.

I have had to do one large gha clean since then, but it is better. I also added some turbo snails and atrea snails to the system. This is another story...

Pictures soon.

OP
OP
DeniseAndy

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, here are some pictures my babies. They needs some major growing up to do. The couple in qt did not turn out for pics. I am new at this picture thing, so sorry for the bad quality pics.

Blue Xenia.jpg green mushroom.jpg Grn Fibre Toadstool.jpg Leather.jpg Long Tent Gr Toadstool.jpg maximini.jpg Neon Grn SInularia.jpg orange clove.jpg Papaya Cloves.jpg Papaya leather.jpg red rock nem.jpg Yellow Finger.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well, after 10 years with my 40yr old thick glass tank, I am finally replacing the tank with an acrylic custom made tank. I want to keep my stand, so I havd to custom build it for the proper dimensions. No one makes a 7' tank anymore that is 24" by 24".

Sooooo excited. The tank is on order. I looked at another glass tank and had some quotes, but I decided on acrylic from a local builder.

The tank will simply be put where my current tank is and sump and everything remains unchanged. Well, except the plumbing has to be redone.

It will be a long week-end doing it, but cannot wait. Probably late summer.

Just ordered a 24" overflow system from Modular Marine. Looked at many, liked this the best. It will replace my corner overflows (thank goodness).

My lights will remain MH and T5s as I do like this combination. I will be building new stands for them though (well my hubby will anyway).

I will post pics of my current and tearing it down when it happens. not going to be easy to move a 10yr old tank and all inhabitants. At least I am not moving homes.

I will need tons of neighboring men to help me move the monster tank when done. It is over 400lbs of glass. AHHHGGGG!
Nice sized tank and I know you're happy with it.

OP
OP
DeniseAndy

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. I had made a big order of cuc from reefcleaners. All came in fine (missing 2 turbos, but they handled it great). My chitons did not make it long (maybe one in the 210g made it). The conch I think are good. Anyway, not what I was writing about.
I got a 500 lot of dwarf cerith for my 210g. I also got 100 lot of red lg hermits. Ugh! Had to pull out most of the hermits and put them in the sump. They immediately went after all the snails. No big deal. They will be happy down there.
So, these dwarf cerith snails were tiny. I mean tiny. Took a couple days and eventually most went into the sand to do their thing.
Well, now after a week plus, every night after lights out, these cerith come out of the sand and up my walls. Tiny little snails everywhere. Really cool to see.
Also, have not had to clean my acrylic front for a week and that is really rare for me.
Love these little snails.
Due to lights out, hard to get a picture, but I will try soon.

OP
OP
DeniseAndy

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just rplaced my 20K MH bulbs with some 14.5K to get a different perspective. We will see which I like over time. The T5s will be changed from ATI Blue Plus to Geissmann Super Purples too.

delandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an impressive tank! Just finished reading your thread sorry for all your losses during the switch. I am in the process of starting my new 210 in Cinci right now myself.

OP
OP
DeniseAndy

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta say. I have not had this much issue with algae in probably 6 years. Not sure why, but dealing with it. My lagae scrubber is new (as I built a new one), so that is part of the issue. Just made sure to add a nice light, so should see difference there soon.
The tank is now young again. It looks sort of empty, but that will change in a few years. My corals will grow up and my clams will come out of qt.
Then for fun one from 2013.

FTS3 4-18-20.jpg Left Side 4-18-20.jpg Right Side 4-18-20.jpg IMG_5609.JPG

OP
OP
DeniseAndy

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a scrub of rocks and water change 2 hours ago. Some things are a bit ticked off. Also, the open areas will be clams.

OP
OP
DeniseAndy

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, out of nowhere, I lost my little blenny. No idea how. Maybe stung by the malu. Sad.

However, I did go to our local shop and they had a few of my fish I wanted so badly and they were in good shape and good price.
So, in my qt I now have:
2 Yellow tangs
2 Swallowtail Angelfish (spot breast) male and female
1 Yellow Candy Hogfish
1 Lawnmower Blenny

The tangs are already nipping at the algae sheets tied to pvc. I will begin CP tomorrow. Super excited to get these guys in my main tank. Hopefully in about 3 weeks. :)

OP
OP
DeniseAndy

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Not many people have gotten on it, but I guess I need to update more.

Just got some new babies yesterday. I have wanted a few of these for some time and I guess I hit the jackpot. I originally wanted 3 yellow tangs, but decided on 2.
I got my swallowtail (spot breast) angelfish pair, 2 yellow tangs, lawnmower blenny, and a yellow candy hogfish.

They are all happy in qt. All ate today. I will start a round of CP tomorrow for 10 days. No signs of disease at this point. I then will transfer them to a holding/observation tank for 2 weeks and treat with prazipro and metro.

These are phone pics so not good. The hogfish was hiding.

20200425_175448.jpg 20200425_175456.jpg 20200425_175516.jpg

OP
OP
DeniseAndy

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Qt protocol this time. Last time I had the triple cure for 10 days, formalin for 6 days and then prazi metro food for 10 days. Everyone seemed to do well. This protocol is a bit different. I will be doing CP for 10 days then moving them to a observation tank to do the medicated food and prazipro? treatment.
If something comes up, they will be medicated further. I think the CP should take care of everything.

OP
OP
DeniseAndy

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are still doing well in qt. Day 3 of CP. I had to do a 50% water change though because the algae bloom is driving me crazy. My DT is getting more hair algae. UGH. I hate that stuff. My algae reactor is just not up to speed yet. I guess I am reaching in to pull some more later.
My silly male lemon damsel will be after me again.

OP
OP
DeniseAndy

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good on the qt front. Fight a constant battle with the ammonia badge, but Prime is great. I decided to do CP for 14 days instead. So, 5 more days. I think the observation tank is ready.

Mom brain moment:
So, I set up this new beautiful 32g biocube I had laying around. Brand new. Yep, I know. Anyway, I got if filled and decided since it was a true fish only observation tank I would just use the waste water from the RO/DI. No big deal. Once filled I dosed Prime for two days and all good.
Then, I thought to myself, I will add some Prodibio Startup and a rock from my sump to get the bacteria really going. Done. Left for two days.

Did you notice I forgot something? I did after two days. I forgot to add the salt. So, now that my live rock is dead, I added salt to the tank. Then after 24 hrs added more Start up. Then waited and added more prime and startup. Just for giggles.

Today, I added another live rock. Whew, checked salinity and all good. What a silly thing to do.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back