New 220G build Dual Internal overflows: durso, herby or bean animal?

Mehnock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a cursory look and could not find a post specific to my problem so here it goes, newbe question:

I am building a 200G and the tank has dual internal overflows; each with a 1" and a 3/4" hole. I've been told the tank is an aqueon 220. I've read and watched YT on this but cannot decide if I should use the original (2x) durso drains and returs as per factory specs or a herbie or bean animal and external piping for the return.

Consider I have dual internal overflows, what is the quietest and safest choice? Can I setup a single bean animal distributed between the two overflows? Do I have to set them up individually?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening @Mehnock and #WelcometoR2R

I have a similar setup and it drove me nuts trying to decide on a plumbing setup. You mentioned your options, there really is no right answer, other than to stay away from a straight durso set up since there are better options.I am attaching a good reference below.

I will tell you how I did mine and the good and bad. So I set mine up as a herbie, so 1 siphon and 1 emergency with 2 returns. I tried to split the return and drains and then put each into their own baffle. I settled on running the drains in one overflow and returns in the opposite overflow. The good is it moves water thru the tank and plumbing was easy. Bad was the flow is limited by the amount of water volume the weir teeth can handle on the one drain side.

If you want to go for mass flow, a herbie type set up with returns up and over would be the best way to go.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back