New 225 gallon

Lebsam225gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! So I stumbled on a 225 gallon tank with everything included that came from 40 years of fish keeping. I got a crazy deal and a huge head start. I’ve had many fresh water aquariums in the past but this is my first saltwater tank and it has been an adventure. I bought it in September. It’s a homemade plywood tank with starfire glass as the front piece. 45 gallon sump. Came with two pumps one to return front sump to tank and one to run from an over flow In the tank to a series of nozzles acting as a wave maker. As for accessories I received several hundred pounds of live rock and sand. Pipes, hoses, filters, pumps, leds, and every little part you can imagine.
So to start from the beginning I bought everything in September and had it al set up and ready to go by the end of the month. I was given a rodi but my home water system has one installed so I’m using it in the time being. I put the tank together to realize I had lost a nut for one of the overflows. Took about 2 weeks to find one at a pool store but it was a success. In the meantime I had cleaned the tank and set up my rock work and sand and had started the very long process of mixing my salt water which also took a little longer than two weeks. Once the water reached the overflows it was time to start the pumps. I was disappointed to find they were both shot. Salt water had gotten into the coil and it was not fixable. So I set off to find new pumps which I quickly did for the sump but I had to wait a while for the other pump for financial reasons lol it’s an expensive hobby. My tank is now running well with all pumps and filters and my water tests are levelling out nicely. I added hermits and snails early on and about a month later 2 clownfish. A week after them I added an Atlantic blue tang. Yesterday I bought a gsp frag and he also gave me a few polyps of green paly. Looking forward to watching everything grow and can’t wait to get some more fish!
7AC2AB98-A917-401F-A6CB-8E59DBD7172D.jpeg
CBAE4648-5E3D-4DCE-9E01-7F10F31D8C25.jpeg 350EE786-6A01-4700-92CB-4D9341D24154.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

shaner014

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I can't imagine starting salt with a 225 gallon. I've never had a tank over 20! Good luck! Keep at it!

OP
OP
Lebsam225gal

Lebsam225gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At he beginning I definitely thought I f*^%#d up because of how big it is but I’ve been doing my homework and it’s all adding up so far! I definitely enjoy the challenge

Back