OP
Aquainas

Aquainas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a bit more done. I've got all the holes drilled through into the master closet as well as my daughter's for the plumbing, and I've finalized the layout. I'm kinda thrown off at the fact that Neptune didn't do 1 1/4" flow sensors. I'm going the extra mile to do 1 1/4" return plumbing and having to neck down to the 1" is silly. Granted I could have upsized to the 2" but that's just rediculous and bulky for my application of two pumps. Anyway enough ranting @Terence has probably heard enough of that already. :D
I also went ahead and built a drip tray for the sump and ATO reservoir to rest in to catch minor spills and to ensure water contact with the ALD sensor. It's a melamine base edged in 1x2 with liquid nails, joints filled with waterproof caulk, primed and painted. The walls got Kilz and two coats of semigloss. I'm also adding a 300cfm bathroom fan for good measure. I dont anticipate a ton of moisture from the sump, but whatever is produced will be removed.
Here's a pic of the tray/stand...Im gonna add some pvc legs to elevate it a couple inches off the floor, and I'm thinking about installing a drain bulkhead for the sump...should I? Probably should.

20180925_213128.jpg

OP
OP
Aquainas

Aquainas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to allow for some extra room for settling when you drill your holes in the wall. You wouldn't want the wait of the water and the tank to be on the bulkhead.

Thanks for chiming in! I've got about 1/4" around each one, so I think I'm good...but good reminder to keep an eye on clearance as the tank is filling and settling.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Excited to follow your progress

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumped over here from your intro page (Welcome to R2R)
You are making a first-class splash here. That is a beautiful set-up so far!
You might need a lid on that sump to keep "Coral" out! :)
My son dialed my chiller down to a cold water tank way-back-when. I was out for a few years after that episode.
Can't wait to see what you post next, sir.

OP
OP
Aquainas

Aquainas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumped over here from your intro page (Welcome to R2R)
You are making a first-class splash here. That is a beautiful set-up so far!
You might need a lid on that sump to keep "Coral" out! :)
My son dialed my chiller down to a cold water tank way-back-when. I was out for a few years after that episode.
Can't wait to see what you post next, sir.

Thanks for popping over and for such a warm welcome, I really appreciate it :D
You know...I want to say Coral is very good at following direction, but watch her prove me wrong soon as I mention it. (Like all kids do!) Actually it reminds me of the time Tony Vargas was at our previous house on a tank tour of the in-wall for Vargas Reef magazine, when he asked whether or not my Centropyge Multicolor was picking at my SPS. "No he's been great" I replied, at that moment we both watched as the fished proceeded to nip at one of my acros;Facepalm. I was so embarrassed but heck it was funny so we both laughed! Here's a pick of the X-model citizen
1523795_650586338336877_748536548_o.jpg

If anyone is interested in the article you can find it via the link below:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-coral-reef-aquarium/vol-1-issue-1/607604002635111

OP
OP
Aquainas

Aquainas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the aquascape is done. I originally wanted to use Marco Rock Shelf rock, but I got no replies to my inquiries, so after a week of waiting I pulled the trigger on Caribsea Life Rock. Following the rule of thirds, I used a combination of shelf, shapes, and arches to create an open scape, allowing for lots of open swim space and room for corals to grow. I've used their standard Life Rock in the past with great success so it was a no brainer. At the moment I plan on around 50 fish as I like alot of movement on the reef. :cool:I'm still compiling the stocking list and will share when it's complete...in the mean time this showed up today:D

20181001_144942.jpg

OP
OP
Aquainas

Aquainas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Elite 220 is rated for 528g with light bio load, so it shouldn't break a sweat with a system volume of around 290g.
Speaking of filtration...I may have forgot to mention that this system will be based on the Triton Method.
The refugium is 14% the system volume, and I should have between 6x - 7x total turnover after about 9ft of headloss on each of the COR 20's.
I've plumbed in two reactor feeds, one off each pump for both carbon and AL99, and I'll be setting up two Neptune DOS systems for Triton COR7 Base Elements.
In addition to the Apex itself (new version), additional modules include: ALD, WXM, PMK, PM1 (room temp), FMM, 4 flow sensors, 2 DOS/DDR combos, and ATK.

Last edited:

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking build so far, it's nice to have a spouse that is understanding of the hobby. I hear people complain about what their spouses will and wont let them do and it makes me appreciate my wife even more. I am goofing off at work looking at this so I haven't had a chance to watch the videos but I will be tonight. I kind of home you go with the kessil, nice test run for all of us to watch. Sorry if you have to be the test dummy lol.

OP
OP
Aquainas

Aquainas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since Sunday I've had the tank about half full because I didnt have enough Tropic Marin Pro on hand to fill it. Sadly the order I placed on Sunday with a certain online retailer hadn't shipped as of yesterday (and still hasn't) so I did overnight from another vendor and it will be on my doorstep shortly.:cool:
Will post pics once I finish filling it!
I've assembled the skimmer and got it ready to go...man its a beast:D

20181001_233449.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back