New 25g AIO, sowm critique or advice on my setup.

Discussion in 'Aquaforest' started by Thewatchmangoby, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Thewatchmangoby

Thewatchmangoby Member

Hi all, I've set up a 25g IM all in one lagoon and I'm hoping to one day get this tank to be a successful sps aquaforest tank.

So far my setup includes,
    13 pounds of live rock.
    Sand.
    AF reef salt
    Nano reactor with AF carbon and AF GFO.
    Nano skimmer.
    I have AF zeomix in a bag on top of filter floss in one of the caddy chambers.
    I have smart auto top off and smart automatic water changer that I could set to do a very small percentage of water change every 2 days.
    Radion xr30 gen2 running only blues.
    One Aqamai wavemaker
    No dosers (consistent small water changes good enough?)
    Alk 8
    Calcium 450
    Magnesium havent tested yet
    Salinity 1.026
    Temp 78-79
    5 juvenile fish (overstocked?)
    4 snails

What should i keep my nitrates and phosphates at?

Thanks!

Tags:

2. drewslagoon

drewslagoon Member

I would suggest getting a doser since the demand for calc/alk will increase rapidly as soon as you start to see coralline algae / sps growth.
    you might be fine for some time, but youll eventually need one for consistency/convenience.
    My little lagoon soaks up around 15mL of calc/alk (b-ionic two part) each day. started off withe 2mL per day in the early stages.

3. Thewatchmangoby

Thewatchmangoby Member

Awesome thanks. I love toys so I dont mind getting a doser in the future. Do you have a build thread for your tank?

4. drewslagoon

drewslagoon Member

yeah its deff a big help for me! i just have a cheap dp4 doser..its owrked for almost two years now.

i donntt man :/ however, i post often on instagram. as well as post my failures and progress on the reef

5. Anirban

Anirban Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

What are you dosing from Aquaforest line currently and how did you cycle your tank?

6. infinite0180

infinite0180 Active Member

How do you like the smart AWC? I have the IM 20 and was greatly contemplating it. I figure with that changing a small amount daily i could stop my biweekly 20% WC schedule. I imagine it would help greatly with nutrient reduction in such a small tank. Also it would make maintenance soo much easier!

7. Thewatchmangoby

Thewatchmangoby Member

Hi my tank is just cycling right now. I just added some shrimp to it and than I've been adding bios startup to help with the cycle.

I havent been dosing any aquaforest products or I'm not sure what I should dose my tank is just cycling right now.

I wish there was some dedicated nano reef articles on aquaforest products. Like guidelines specific to aquaforest nano tank setups that I could pretty much just copy from start to finish.

8. Thewatchmangoby

Thewatchmangoby Member

Right now my tank is cycling so I havent been able to setup a daily water change yet. I did test it out and its pretty slick. I thought the controller and stuff would be confusing but its stupid easy, like ato off, awc on, pause, start blah blah. Just simple. I'm not sure yet what percent it could actually do each day though on a small tank cuz the two sensors need to be somewhat apart in distance to know when to stop/go. I have the 2 sensors like 1/2 inch out of line next to each other. So I'm gonna guess it could change about 3/8 of an inch of waterline a day up to 10 inches just depends on where you put that bottom sensor. .lol if that makes any sense.

I bought it cuz one of my greatest downfalls was waterchanges in my last tank. And this might be a total game changer and I cant believe its not talked about more.

9. infinite0180

infinite0180 Active Member

Thanks, ill probably give it a shot. I read on facebook a few guys talking about it in their IM tanks and they had the sensors/pump in the center return pump chamber. Basically they put the upper sensor at their desired water level and the lower sensor to right above their return pump. That way they could change out that portion dialy without turning of the return. I have an Apex so i could even automatically turn off my return and do even more. It worked out to like 5 gallons a week for those people which is pretty solid!

Draft saved Draft deleted