seareefrun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
34077 Paseo Padre Parkway apt 34 Fremont CA, 94555
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29 reef 027.jpg
I'll post photos of the set up if anyone want's to know how?
This photo was taken at bed time for the tank.

OP
OP
S

seareefrun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one was done with a 4" deep shadow box that fit's the back of the tank. It has a store bought background. The Items in the box need dusting around once a year with a can of air. Later I'll add some color like plants and colored stony corals that won't grow alge in the box :)

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty cool. I didn't even notice the shadow box until you said it was there. Good thinking.

OP
OP
S

seareefrun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The depth of the shadow box is only limited by how much room you have. Three inches is as close as you can get to have room for decorations and a CFL(50/50) to light up the box. I have used a 1&1/2" depth box with background photo only and still doubled the depth view. No light required for box this close.

Lynnmw1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! that looks absolutely amazing!!! Do you have a thread anywhere on how you built this? I would love to see pictures of the actual shadowbox! I have seen these before in other threads on other forums and such but you don't see them very often! The depth that they give is unbelievable!! It totally looks like you took a picture of the ocean rather than your tank. Does the box have to be really deep or just a couple of inches?

OP
OP
S

seareefrun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I used and always use a sheet of 1/4" plywood and a furing strip 1"X 3" minimum, the depth would be as much room that you have behind your aquarium and use plastic brackets to hang on back(this tank had enough room on the stand for the box to sit on). The light spectrum for the box is best lit with a 50/50 reef tube for salt tanks. They make any aquarium look bigger as long as the light(spectrum and lower wa
shadow box 005.jpg
ttage as it's only lighting air), in the box matches the tank. Make shure you buy enough background to come back to the tank edge to cover the ends.
shadow box 004.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back