New 29g

Striket85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I've been running my 29g with about 25 lbs of Red Sea Rock and 40lbs of live sand since 11/24. 2 AI Prime 16 HD's have been running an acclimation cycle since start. Ammonia has gone up to 1.5 since starting with 0 recorded Nitrites. My question is, should I purchase and use a bacterial booster or should I just let it ride out? I haven't added anything to the tank, just testing it daily. I'm about to top it off for the first time, I have an ATO coming in tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

TANK.jpg

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could let it ride out will take a little longer.

boosting it with beneficial bacteria will help cycle faster then without. I recommend Fritz turbo start it cycled for me pretty quickly

OP
OP
S

Striket85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could let it ride out will take a little longer.

boosting it with beneficial bacteria will help cycle faster then without. I recommend Fritz turbo start it cycled for me pretty quickly
Alright, I want to be patient but it's hard haha... I'll order some. I'll be on vacation for 9 days so away from the tank until just after Christmas. Do you think if I just wait it out I'll be close to finishing the cycle when I get back or should I add the stuff before leaving, or buy it and hold onto it until I get back? I know that's a hard question lol

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I want to be patient but it's hard haha... I'll order some. I'll be on vacation for 9 days so away from the tank until just after Christmas. Do you think if I just wait it out I'll be close to finishing the cycle when I get back or should I add the stuff before leaving, or buy it and hold onto it until I get back? I know that's a hard question lol
There’s no way in knowing if you come back it will be ready all tanks a weird in that way haha. I would buy it drop it in the tank before you leave and let the magic happen. I would also leave lights off during the cycling since it could promote more algae then needed

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I've been running my 29g with about 25 lbs of Red Sea Rock and 40lbs of live sand since 11/24. 2 AI Prime 16 HD's have been running an acclimation cycle since start. Ammonia has gone up to 1.5 since starting with 0 recorded Nitrites. My question is, should I purchase and use a bacterial booster or should I just let it ride out? I haven't added anything to the tank, just testing it daily. I'm about to top it off for the first time, I have an ATO coming in tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

TANK.jpg
Welcome to Da Reef!
Marine Biology Ocean GIF

OP
OP
S

Striket85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no way in knowing if you come back it will be ready all tanks a weird in that way haha. I would buy it drop it in the tank before you leave and let the magic happen. I would also leave lights off during the cycling since it could promote more algae then needed
I'll do that. I've read mixed reviews on it. I'm using the David Saxby's schedule which has almost no white light and I haven't noticed any algae whatsoever, though from what I gather, the cycle isn't effected one way or the other, the only risk is algae so I may just turn em off, also slightly less evaporation. I'll definitely have them off for when I'm gone. Thanks for the advice!

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll do that. I've read mixed reviews on it. I'm using the David Saxby's schedule which has almost no white light and I haven't noticed any algae whatsoever, though from what I gather, the cycle isn't effected one way or the other, the only risk is algae so I may just turn em off, also slightly less evaporation. I'll definitely have them off for when I'm gone. Thanks for the advice!
No problem !
I hope all goes well with the cycle I know it’s a pain in the end it’s worth it haha.
Some pics for you
1BDD6109-CCC6-4028-8B77-E9054F54CAA2.jpeg
this was first day ^
09048ED4-F75C-4A8C-A3E0-F9940A3A7307.jpeg

This is now !

OP
OP
S

Striket85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem !
I hope all goes well with the cycle I know it’s a pain in the end it’s worth it haha.
Some pics for you
1BDD6109-CCC6-4028-8B77-E9054F54CAA2.jpeg
this was first day ^
09048ED4-F75C-4A8C-A3E0-F9940A3A7307.jpeg

This is now !
Dude the start and now is total motivation! I've had several tanks in the past but this is my first saltwater that I'm doing correctly from the get go and sparing no expense (just don't tell the gf). Previously, I'd have thrown in a couple clowns (poor fellas) to do a fish in cycle, I have patience this time around and am in no big hurry. Plus I found a fantastic LFS that is working with me on prices for everything so I'm really happy to give him all of my money lol

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude the start and now is total motivation! I've had several tanks in the past but this is my first saltwater that I'm doing correctly from the get go and sparing no expense (just don't tell the gf). Previously, I'd have thrown in a couple clowns (poor fellas) to do a fish in cycle, I have patience this time around and am in no big hurry. Plus I found a fantastic LFS that is working with me on prices for everything so I'm really happy to give him all of my money lol
I love lfs that helps !, this is my first saltwater as well and so far it’s had its ups and downs I’m a freshie noobs
Here’s exhibit A

E2BDACAE-96C3-484F-90B6-8CFDC28D3F7F.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Striket85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love lfs that helps !, this is my first saltwater as well and so far it’s had its ups and downs I’m a freshie noobs
Here’s exhibit A

E2BDACAE-96C3-484F-90B6-8CFDC28D3F7F.jpeg
I've always admired the floating plants in freshwater. I hate fake things in my tanks so I've always done live everything. Beautiful tank there!

Adrift

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I’ve always use bio spira to cycle tank. Always has worked for me quickly. I have heard them at fritz is awesome. But I stick with what I know. Good luck to you in your new adventure.

OP
OP
S

Striket85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I’ve always use bio spira to cycle tank. Always has worked for me quickly. I have heard them at fritz is awesome. But I stick with what I know. Good luck to you in your new adventure.
Thank you! I ordered a bottle of Fritz. It'll arrive just before it's time to head up north for vacation, so I'll dump it in and test when I get back! I'm excited to see what results I get. I wish I had a friend who could swing by the house to test daily for me though

OP
OP
S

Striket85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose the entire bottle it won’t hurt anything. I always dose 1/4 to 1/2 more then total water volume.
Yeah, that was my plan. Got my ATO and new heater hooked up to my temp monitor. Also just added my first small amount of RODI water from evaporation. It's coming along nicely!

OP
OP
S

Striket85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck hopefully it’s cycled when you return. What are you using for an ammonia source?
I haven't added anything to the tank except using my filter and media from my freshwater before converting it to a salt. I did 40 lbs of live sand and the red sea rock. I'm reading 1.5-.5 Amm currently with an API kit (I know I know, I'll look into upgrading that soon). Do you think I should dose ammonia or go with the old shrimp routine at this stage?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back