New 300 Gallon SW Aquarium.

Psylacus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks! Posting this here as well as this is both an introduction to me as well as the tank that I am working on, so if you already read this you can skip down to the link below. I attached a GOOGLE SHEET, with what I am thinking about buying and you can comment as well!

So new to the forum and starting my salt water adventure.

Background about me - I work for a gaming computer company and we ship computers all over the world and I manage the chaos :).
Anyway, I have a 46 gallon bow front tank that I have had for 6 years with very little hoopla and its been great!. I also have a 5000 gallon koi pond out back with tons of fish and awesome rock scaping with a water fall I hand built (82k pounds of rock just to get an idea LOL).

Anyway SOOooOO. Starting my salt water tank in my general style - I am captain overkill.
So I have been hunting the sales thread in Utah and found a 300 gallon Deep Dimension starphire glass tank from a guy who was moving to his new custom built 500 gallon.

So I had it brought in last night and I am still on the hunt for a 120 gallon sump tank that I am going to build. Also I am going to build a stand for it out of wood as well. The idea here is its on a wall facing my cold storage room which I currently breed roses in and will soon have my aquarium stuff in it :).
The front of the stand will also house 2 Wine fridges in it and such since the back side of the wall is where i will put all the guts of it.

So this is where it starts, over the next you week I will build a stand for the beast and then con some beefy friends to come help me lift it.

Next piece, what kind of tank am I going for? Well I want it to be a reef tank so coral of all sorts is the goal. I know that limits some of my fish options but with 300 gallons + 120 gallon sump + maybe a 55ish refugium - I think i can have some pretty cool stuff. My tank is very wide being almost 3 feet back and 2 feet tall.

So basically now I need some help into advise on how to set this thing up. Price really isn't to much of an issue (not saying I want to buy the most expensive of everything - but still I am in no rush and want to do it right). I think I want to use an APEX, I do tend to travel for a week or two at a time which means I need to be able to be notified if things go south. I will have a camera hooked up to view it as well. I am a tech nut - I hand built a chicken coop with cameras/ automated feeders/heaters/doors/cameras and waterers.

Anyway so first step is getting the parts for the tank. Below is a link you can comment on if you feel like it :)!!!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FP-cMuNx20THZrUJP4P1B_PrwZea6UJLoZ5wmfddEcA/edit?usp=sharing

Hope this was a good start to what I am trying to do and about me. Thanks!!!!

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
off to a good start. I would add 2 media reactors to the list just in case something starts to go south you can put in something like carbon or GFO and start to run them right away. If you're traveling I'd run two return pumps at the same time.

1 pump returning to one side of the tank and the other returning to a manifold ( you can run your reactors off the manifold) and the other side of the tank.

That way in case a return pump dies and you are gone its not the end of the world and you still have flow going to your skimmer and heaters.

OP
OP
Psylacus

Psylacus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I would like to add the 300G DD tank comes with 2 holes on the bottom on both the back left and right. The holes are 1 3/4 inch so not super big. So two pumps and two reactors potentially.

Back