New 32 Gallon Setup

Pizza_Rolls

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning! First post here! I need some help, last week I picked up a 32 gallon tank and purchased 20 pounds of live rock with live sand. I told the guys at my LFS that I was going to plan on moving everything from my old 10 gallon tank to this new 32 gallon. They told me to use the same water and media bags that are in the sump. They also mentioned I do not need to cycle my new tank because I would be adding everything over and I can immediately add fish once the transfer is complete, sweet! I currently have 2 gladiator clowns, 1 purple fire fish, 1 five stripped wrasse, 1 royal gramma and 1 cleaner shrimp. There are also a few soft corals, which seem to be doing fine. I had this weird feeling something was not right, so I checked the ammonia and nitrate, which the ammonia was at 0.25 and the nitrate is 0. Does this mean my tank is not properly cycled? Should I remove all my livestock and let my friend take care of them? Please let me know if I'm missing any details that can help you guys figure out whats going on. Thank you!

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get some bacteria to dose, something is off in your Nitrogen Cycle. Likely you dont have the needed amount of bacteria to compensate for the increased tank size. I too would worry about the ammonia being so high though. Probably a good precaution to house them in something established if you have that availability.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
few questions;
  1. is the 32 gal tank new or used?
  2. is the LR already cured or dry rock?
When I updgraded from 60 to 93 cube, I reused the original LR w new sand & water and did not have adverse effect. I would not have reused the old water, and only reused the media bag if it contained bio balls like MarinePure that now contain beneficial bacteria. Otherwise I would not reuse carbon or GFO, as old water and media bag (carbon or GFO) are just dirty now.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back