New 350g Peninsula Build and a house around it...

Matt Cole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to post a new build thread for a project that has been about three years in the making. We are building our dream house on 25 acres outside San Antonio Tx and from the beginning of my sketches on graph paper I have integrated the design for a large aquarium with a dedicated filtration room. Thankfully my wife is very supportive and after enough flooding floors from unwatched RO's and cleaning skimmers in kitchen sinks she probably wants the fish room as much as me.
tempImageNYiIKS.jpg

The tank is being made by Miracles Aquariums and is a peninsula 84x36x27 and will be located in the library. The filtration will run through the wall and will be located in the adjacent room. They are building the steel stand with wrapped magnetic panels and a separate 36x24x15 frag tank for me as well. The fish room has a large box drain in the floor that I'm planning on using for easy water changes and floor drain under storage tanks as well. The tank is starfire on three sides and eurobraced on top with 3/4 inch glass. What was crazy was they were cheaper that the three other companies I checked out ( including two in my state) even with shipping 2000 miles. The others were quoting me 1/2 glass as well. Anyway, the floor in fish room is epoxy chip and I am planning on using Trusscore panels on the walls in that room. These are structural pvc panels that screw directly to studs and are basically waterproof. I am deciding on a sump now and have gotten quotes from Synergy and Geosreef for 60x24x18 and 72x24x15 respectfully. I really want filter rolls as I am done with socks. I would love to hear any suggestions for anything else available as both options are $4k+ equally equipped. My plan is to run the frag tank drains into a large ( approx 30-40g) refugium that would then drain to main sump ( integrated on Geosreef sump) with a bulkhead at the base that runs to floor drain. I could the simply open ball valve and drain refugium into floor drain and then refill to previous level...10% done. The Synergy is cheaper but would require me to have a separate refugium under frag tank where the Geo's is built in. I've attached pictures of my current waterbox 6025 that I will sell and transfer over to the new tank but I think I will utilize a similar lighting setup as I have here except use two connected arms. I plan on using 4 of the Radion 30's and maybe a Kessil AP900 in the middle for shimmer. Haven't made final decisions on return pumps yet but I think I'll add the Deltec calcium reactor. I have the Deltec 1500 skimmer now which I plan on moving over to the new build and really like their stuff. The house is scheduled for completion in Sept but with lag times on everything I wanted to get started on equipment and deposits on tank now. I would love to hear comments from anyone that has went through something similar if there are some mistakes I can avoid or tips to make things smoother. I will update as we go along and we will see how this ends up.

IMG_6551.JPG
tempImageNmDJrP.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oooh excited to follow this! Congrats!

OP
OP
Matt Cole

Matt Cole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Bashsea make it with a filter roll system ? Really don't want filter socks anymore.

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does Bashsea make it with a filter roll system ? Really don't want filter socks anymore.
I ordered my peninsula tank almost the same size as yours. t’s 84x36x28 and only a 1 inch difference than yours. I ordered my sump from Synergy. It’s the Sk 72 which is 72x18x18. It has a chamber for 2 clarisea filters but you can run filter socks if you want. They make quality sumps and there is a 3 month wait time to get one after you order. Mine should be here in about a month. Google SK72 and watch the video they have.

OP
OP
Matt Cole

Matt Cole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So anyone who is building a house... bless your patience. It's coming along slowly. Fixing all the screw ups from sloppy framers and metal roof going on this week. Hopefully ready for drywall in a couple of weeks.
tempImagemCpDIc.jpg
I ordered the sump this week from Synergy, a SK60 XL 60x24x18 with a matching 21 gal ATO. I wanted the grey / blue but because of the width they couldn't get the grey acrylic right now. So instead I went with the white / blue. I also went ahead and took advantage of the BRS sale right now on lights and ordered 3 Ecotech xr30 blues and 2 Kessil AP9X fixtures. I currently have a cantilever light bar now ( shout out to Reefdudes for the inspiration ) and am going to do the same here. I put in extra blocking in the wall and am going to run two connected bars with the Radian and Kessil lights staggered every other one. This should give me the spread I want with the shimmer from the Kessils. Still deciding on the pumps but am leaning towards the Red Dragon 150w pump for main. Hopefully they are back in stock sometime in the next 5 months.

Attachments

• tempImagex6h9DN.png
    tempImagex6h9DN.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
  • tempImageAABM4x.png
    tempImageAABM4x.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 59

evo187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
folling along, my dream is to build a house on 50-80 acres with enough woods to hunt deer in, and have my dream reef tank and dedicated filtration room. One can dream :)

OP
OP
Matt Cole

Matt Cole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update...metal roof is on, well is being drilled next week, (estimate is 750 ft) and we are waiting on framers to come back and fix all their mistakes so we can move to insulation. On the tank front I got in all the 80/20 structure for the light rack and ended up sending the xr30's back to switch out for 6 xr15's in combination with the Kessils. I felt like this would give me better spread than the center mounted xr30's. I bought a red dragon 230w pump while they were on sale for the main return along with Georg Fischer check valves for main and frag tank.

OP
OP
Matt Cole

Matt Cole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it took 820ft for the well, but that is done. Still waiting on insulation and drywall phase to begin. I bought two MP60's to go along with the 40's I already have, as well as an 80watt Pentair UV sterilizer. I picked up a Vector M2 to run the frag tank and will run that tank flow through the UV. Should be in the neighborhood of 450gph so that should work well for protozoa control on system. I think gear wise I pretty much set at this point although I will probably buy two Clarasea 5000's to mount in the sump instead of filter socks.

OP
OP
Matt Cole

Matt Cole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mid July update... still no drywall, we have been waiting on the framers to repair screwups for almost 4 months now. Spray insulation is in but drywall and stucco/stone need the framing crews to finish. On the tank side , Miracles called last week and the tank is ready but were gracious enough to hold on to it for a few months until house is closer. I bought another UV, Lifereef for this one, 90w to run in line with main return for algae control so that would be the Pentair 80w at around 450 gph and the Lifereef at 2500 approx gph. This should cover me I hope. Started laying out all the plumbing connectors I will need and the amount is staggering. I have seen a few posts about ordering from some plumbing companies direct rather than say BRS and hopefully I can shave some off that bill. It looks like $1000 plus just in plumbing. I bought a 100g rubbermaid horse trough and am starting to cycle all the extra liferock I bought. I also ordered 20lbs of Australian live rock from Unique corals to hopefully add some more biodiversity at the tank start. It should be here Tuesday. Oh for the days when I would complain about Tonga or good Fiji rock at $5-8 a pound. That should give me about 225-250 lbs of rock total with what's in my existing so I think I'll be good. No word from Synergy on the sump but still have some time to kill. I did buy a par meter last month, I don't know why I didn't get one sooner...at $230 for the USB model it's cheaper than a lot of corals at this point and I found out I suck at estimating light intensity. I was way lower than I thought and have been slowly ramping up the lights for the last few weeks. I hadn't been real concerned about slow coral growth since everything is being torn down in a few months but I was about half of what it should have been. Definitely with the investment for almost anyone keeping a reef tank.

OP
OP
Matt Cole

Matt Cole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok finally have some time and feel I have most things set up the way I want... We moved in on valentines day and the next two months have been working on the set up every off day I've had. We moved the waterbox to the living room and set everything up there while I got the new system up and running.
69991039413__215A447E-7E09-4ABE-BFBA-A8FD0D0CBCF0.jpeg
69991044353__D785880E-A5E1-4FAE-AA1C-8A940A690F03.jpeg
IMG_5935.jpeg
69991042277__202DD52E-E076-4585-A8BB-F29EAE16A0B7.jpeg

OP
OP
Matt Cole

Matt Cole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up using 6 Radion G5 Pro XR15's with a Kessil AP9 in-between for some punch and shimmer. The flow inside of the tank is provided by 2 MP40's, 2 MP60's and two Gyre 350's. I didn't want the gyres to have magnets visible so I bonded squares of .5" acrylic to create a shell that I could then mount under the eurobrace, this dropped the level of the pumps below the waterline and gives the appearance of them floating. The lids are from Clearview Lids which I had on the waterbed as well and I liked them.
IMG_7367 2.jpeg

OP
OP
Matt Cole

Matt Cole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say the epoxy floors in the filtration room and the floor drains have worked perfectly. The other life saver was a Milwaukee battery powered pvc cutter...absolutely worth its weight in gold when having to cut 1.5" sch 80 pvc. Unfortunately not as thrilled with the two clarisea's, They just can't handle the flow through the sump and a fair amount of detritus gets over the overflow into the sump chambers. Probably should have saved my money and just used the 7" socks.
In one of the above pictures you will see a very slick looking frag tank which I will be using for coral quarantine. It's from Polyppro in England. Took 4 months to arrive and unfortunately the skimmer that was included had the adjustment tube misbuilt and the acrylic channel that the pump returns through was cracked along a seam and was spraying water all over. I let the company know about the pipe and crack and they promised me a new pipe but it's been almost two months and haven't heard anything back. I superglued the crack and split seam and so far it seems to have worked. It's a very cool looking setup but probably should have just gone with another IM lagoon tank like I have set up for fish quarantine. I measured the par on the main lights and was getting 600 to 700 on the upper most rocks under the Kassil's so I have dialed them back to 80%.
Finally I'm ready to start stocking with new fish and corals but had to miss the coral show here and San Antonio because of work and can't get up to Dallas for Aquashella so I'll be looking online mostly. I do miss the quality of the shops in Dallas... but not much else. Here are a few pics of the views from the new house.
IMG_7297.jpeg
70233727566__2426FCEF-862D-4D6E-BAFB-E1D84B6D706D.jpeg
IMG_7296.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back