New 375g DT with 600 - 700G system volume Build

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I decided to treat ourselves to a larger display tank for Christmas. So, we ordered a new Planet Aquarium 375

Our current system is comprised of a 220G reef with a 100G dedicated sump located in the Great room and a 90G reef with a 45G dedicated sump located in the adjacent Kitchen/breakfast area. We will be replacing the 220G reef tank with a new 375G Planet aquarium that is 96" X 30" X 30". Since we will have to disassemble the reef to replace the tank, we have decided to replace the carpet and we will be upgrading some of the systems and components on the Great room reef.

Both the great room tank and the kitchen tank are run by separate sumps located under each tank. I am thinking that I can reuse the current 220 as a common sump and locate it either in the garage or in a room behind the kitchen. Either location would be within 15' to 25' of both tanks. I currently use a Neptune apex system on the Great room tank and run the Kitchen tank without the luxury of automation. Both tanks have separate small ATO systems that need to be refilled on a regular basis.

My thought is if I use the 220 as a remote sump and hook the new DT and Kitchen DT to it, I can minimize a lot of maintenance chores in a single location and save a ton of testing and maintenance. I currently do tests for 2 separate systems. a common sump would cut that in half. I also could use the current Neptune system to monitor all water parameters for both tanks.

Here is a list of the proposed equipment for the 375G:

375G DT Mixed Reef. Planet Aquarium. Tank has Tideline external overflow with bean overflow piping
2 Reef Octopus various-8 recirculation pumps supplying 2 return outlets each (total 4) with random flow heads on flex pipe
Aqua Ultraviolet 57-watt sterilizer
4 Neptune WAV wave makers hooked to Neptune controller

3 Neptune SKY lights mounted to custom 80/20 - 1.5"X96" extrusion with EcoTech RMS XR30 G5 Mounts.
8 - 39W 36" t-5 actinic bulbs mounted 2- 3' 2 bulb fixtures front and 2- 3' 2 bulb fixtures back of hood for additional actinic

Kitchen Tank equipment list"

90G reef ready all glass aquarium
2 Kessil AP 700 lights with mounting arms.
Neptune WAV wave maker
Reef Octopus Various-6 return pump

Sump equipment list:

Reef Octopus Regal 250 recirculating skimmer. with Reef Octopus various-6 feed pump.
Neptune GRO refugium Light
Neptune DOS/DDR
Avast K2 Kalk stirrer
2 DIY 6" acrylic media reactors (GFO - Carbon)
Reef Octopus various-6 pump for sump manifold feeding various reactors as necessary
3 300W heaters staged with Neptune and emergency over temperature shutoff.
Neptune ATO
Neptune APEX full 2016 system

I have a 300G (200G RO/DI water - 100G saltwater) water system, located in the garage, that will be used to feed the remote sump and a new enlarged (55g) ATO reservoir located near the sump. The new sump would have room for an increased refugium as well as media reactors, skimmer etc.

Any of your thoughts or recommendations are welcomed. Please point out any issues you see or may have ideas that would improve dependability or ease of operation. Also does anyone know how I apply for a build thread badge

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I decided to treat ourselves to a larger display tank for Christmas. So, we ordered a new Planet Aquarium 375

Our current system is comprised of a 220G reef with a 100G dedicated sump located in the Great room and a 90G reef with a 45G dedicated sump located in the adjacent Kitchen/breakfast area. We will be replacing the 220G reef tank with a new 375G Planet aquarium that is 96" X 30" X 30". Since we will have to disassemble the reef to replace the tank, we have decided to replace the carpet and we will be upgrading some of the systems and components on the Great room reef.

Both the great room tank and the kitchen tank are run by separate sumps located under each tank. I am thinking that I can reuse the current 220 as a common sump and locate it either in the garage or in a room behind the kitchen. Either location would be within 15' to 25' of both tanks. I currently use a Neptune apex system on the Great room tank and run the Kitchen tank without the luxury of automation. Both tanks have separate small ATO systems that need to be refilled on a regular basis.

My thought is if I use the 220 as a remote sump and hook the new DT and Kitchen DT to it, I can minimize a lot of maintenance chores in a single location and save a ton of testing and maintenance. I currently do tests for 2 separate systems. a common sump would cut that in half. I also could use the current Neptune system to monitor all water parameters for both tanks.

Here is a list of the proposed equipment for the 375G:

375G DT Mixed Reef. Planet Aquarium. Tank has Tideline external overflow with bean overflow piping
2 Reef Octopus various-8 recirculation pumps supplying 2 return outlets each (total 4) with random flow heads on flex pipe
Aqua Ultraviolet 57-watt sterilizer
4 Neptune WAV wave makers hooked to Neptune controller

3 Neptune SKY lights mounted to custom 80/20 - 1.5"X96" extrusion with EcoTech RMS XR30 G5 Mounts.
8 - 39W 36" t-5 actinic bulbs mounted 2- 3' 2 bulb fixtures front and 2- 3' 2 bulb fixtures back of hood for additional actinic

Kitchen Tank equipment list"

90G reef ready all glass aquarium
2 Kessil AP 700 lights with mounting arms.
Neptune WAV wave maker
Reef Octopus Various-6 return pump

Sump equipment list:

Reef Octopus Regal 250 recirculating skimmer. with Reef Octopus various-6 feed pump.
Neptune GRO refugium Light
Neptune DOS/DDR
Avast K2 Kalk stirrer
2 DIY 6" acrylic media reactors (GFO - Carbon)
Reef Octopus various-6 pump for sump manifold feeding various reactors as necessary
3 300W heaters staged with Neptune and emergency over temperature shutoff.
Neptune ATO
Neptune APEX full 2016 system

I have a 300G (200G RO/DI water - 100G saltwater) water system, located in the garage, that will be used to feed the remote sump and a new enlarged (55g) ATO reservoir located near the sump. The new sump would have room for an increased refugium as well as media reactors, skimmer etc.

Any of your thoughts or recommendations are welcomed. Please point out any issues you see or may have ideas that would improve dependability or ease of operation. Also does anyone know how I apply for a build thread badge
Why not do the reef Brites or orpheks instead of the t5s? They aren't too expensive and will last longer. Unless you like the look of t5. It's going to look amazing either way. Will be following. Also Apex or GHL

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not do the reef Brites or orpheks instead of the t5s? They aren't too expensive and will last longer. Unless you like the look of t5. It's going to look amazing either way. Will be following. Also Apex or GHL
Sorry didn't see apex.

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the T-5's from my original lighting for the 220. They are like new, and I have had good luck with them on other tanks. A lot of the equipment I already have in use on the 220. The skimmer and the second return pump will be new additions for the bigger tank.

The automatic water change systems give me concern. I always envision a flooded floor. I will be setting up a sump drain and saltwater feed line with manual valves that should make water changes a matter of open drain valve. then refill with new saltwater. This will become a part of the weekly maintenance schedule and I control it so that should prevent issues.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awc make me nervous as well, so i get it. The t5s make sense then. Led and t5 look amazing anyway.
I have the T-5's from my original lighting for the 220. They are like new, and I have had good luck with them on other tanks. A lot of the equipment I already have in use on the 220. The skimmer and the second return pump will be new additions for the bigger tank.

The automatic water change systems give me concern. I always envision a flooded floor. I will be setting up a sump drain and saltwater feed line with manual valves that should make water changes a matter of open drain valve. then refill with new saltwater. This will become a part of the weekly maintenance schedule and I control it so that should prevent issues.

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea, I am hoping that the t-5 actinic bulbs will help improve the appearance and color of the corals to the viewer. My wife really likes the blue look. I on the other hand am all about growth and health of the corals and fish. I am always on the hunt for a better way to manage my tanks or make them look better. When I started out in the hobby, I used VHO and MH and had a reasonable amount of success. Our kid's friends who are all in their late 30 and early 40's now still remark about how much they liked our tank.

DrJoos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds awesome, can't wait to see it come into reality!

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are currently waiting for Planet aquarium to build the tank. Our LFS Tiki Corals in Richmond, Virginia. ordered the tank for us. We are expecting delivery sometime late February. I will be posting Pictures as soon as I Start on the stand next week or so.

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank is at the LFS. Carpet goes in next week and tank gets setup the week after that

new tank.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back